Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • ROB LEE-discuss
  • proteus
    Free Member

So you can't criticise or pass negative comment on someone who tries but fails (having made a little fuss about it after all…)? Dearie, dearie me.

Having ridden the WHW in both directions (over multiple days, three years apart mind) I was following online last week with interest.

Rob – (if you're still about) what was it that did for you? had you recce'd the whole route beforehand?

MrSparkle

Never met the guy. Read what he's done and, like TwinkleyDave, been impressed by his achievements and enjoyed his writing style. Reeespec' to the Leemeister.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup, great effort and a great article. A lot of people might have just slunk off after not reaching their goal, but to write such a heartfelt article deserves respect imo.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Rob Lee is a cracking bloke I have ridden with him a few times when I lived in Swindon and he never tried to prove anything ( unlike otheres who race but never put a number on there backs) and just rode with everyone else.

Rob tries and for that he cannot be faulted

Good try

BruceK
    Free Member

If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth trying 🙂

A fanstastic effort and genuine challenge- bring on round two !

islander

Mate did it North to South on the same day Rob set out and passed him on LochLomond section. Mate said Rob seemed to be pushing on a bit and was into a fairly strong headwind all the way up to Fort William. Well done to the guy for taking it on, think conditions worked against him a bit.

amodicumofgnar

So he's failed on this attempt, not sure we should be rounding on him for that. I just dont see anything worth going at him for every body at every level ***ks up every so often. Yes some of the publicity can be a bit cheesy but it also just seems in the same vein as most cycle challenge types. From everything I've heard about it he's just very very focused on riding and racing.

epicyclo

If Rob Lee has had to bail, that it just proves it's a hard ride.

The Highlands kills idiots just about every week, they're the blokes who don't know when to pull over.

I'm sure he'll be back.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I've ridden the WHW in a day. Way back in the mid 80's when it wasn't the airbrushed trail it is now. We rode it on rigid bikes with cantilevers. We made it without fanfare. None of us were 'extreme' riders.

Had Rob gotten back over the DS he might have stood a chance. I've ridden solo across Rannoch Moor in the dark with no lights to retrieve the car for my knackered mates after an epic ride that left them with the Bonk in the Kingshouse as it was closing.

A vegan friend joined us once to do our first ride of the Devil's Staircase to Fort William section. We drove up from Edinburgh and stayed in the Glencoe youth hostel the night before. The 'Captain' who retroburghers will remember established Claymore Cycles in Newhaven, rode out from Edinburgh to meet us in time for our departure, not at the top of the Glen but the bottom, he rode back up the road, over the DS to Fort William, then rode back to Edinburgh that night. He rode a steel Saracen with cottered cranks. Alloy ones he complained only lasted 50000 miles.
    As an extreme Vegan wouldnt wear leather shoes, so rode in canvas plimsoles and Levis. Thats what I call epic!

As for those who have criticised Italspark's riding credentials. I wouldnt even go there. As I've said on the other thread the man is a legend.

rOcKeTdOg

Ah, thanks for the links, so Rob Lee is a bloke that rides bikes, sounds ok to me, Why the personal attacks?

backhander
    Free Member

I've ridden the WHW in a day. Way back in the mid 80's when it wasn't the airbrushed trail it is now. We rode it on rigid bikes with cantilevers. We made it without fanfare. None of us were 'extreme' riders.

What a hero.

poppa
    Free Member

So is the moral of the story: 'Don't bother trying to do anything, because you will justy look silly when you fail'?

Hurrah! 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

No – I think the moral of the story is "save your powder until it is dry"

trail_rat
    Free Member

so if im thinking right – italspark is someone who might have done quite well at the puffer ….

either way – threads like this dont exactly do him any favours

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

italspark: how about apologising to Rob for being so rude?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

While I'd never even heard of Rob before this post by some jobnocky (who is most obviously an armchair cyclist) I now take my hat off to the lad.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Trailrat, you are miles out with italspark's identity. Have a look at past winners of the Three Peaks.

Reluctant
    Free Member

He's got a pineapple on 'is 'ead! He's got a pineapple on 'is 'ead! etc etc….. Jason Lee..legend! 8)

amodicumofgnar

So really its about getting on with it quietly or having a pineapple on your head and getting a bit of publicity.

Looking at it that way, I'm in the underplaying and control expectations camp and the only place for pineapple on a ride is in exotic fruit mix.

cheese@4p

Wow, talk about reeling em in!

trail_rat
    Free Member

ok so im miles off , just thinking of fast fifers …

frankly it doesnt matter what he won – unless he is a personal friend of the guy hes slagging(and its in jest) it doesnt give a very nice representation of the type of person he is ..

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘ROB LEE-discuss’ is closed to new replies.