Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Roasting a Corn-Fed bird.
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Got a cheeky deal at the farm shop on a big, posh corn-fed Chicken.

Any special ways to get the best from it, versus a standard supermarket bird? Got some roasting skills, wanna’ get the best out this pne.

All sorts of greenery about to do too.

neninja
    Free Member

If you want deliciously moist meat use a roasting bag and sit the bird inside it on some rough cut onions, carrots etc.

It basically steams the chicken and means all the cooking juices don’t evaporate off so you can use them for gravy. I tend to cut the bag open with 20 minutes to go to let the skin crisp up.

zilog6128

Not sure when all the marketing BS convinced us that “corn fed” chickens were somehow superior – they are omnivores after all. Free-range (preferably organic) chickens allowed to naturally forage for a variety of plants, seeds, insects, etc are the ones to go for. I would be wary of one that’s very large as well (pumped full of hormones?)

As for cooking it: I wouldn’t bother with a roasting bag (that’s what the skin is for) just baste it halfway through. Roasting it with the veg is a good shout though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

roast with veg, lemon inside.
    This Recipie
    The best bit is the herbs under the skin.

Also most good free range chickens will be fed with corn. Also don’t buy non free range it’s just not worth it.

sniff
    Free Member

Roast it upside down. Juice goes in to the breast meat.

scaredypants

OP, your title leads me to believe you are Lux Interior reincarnated and I claim my fiver

brakes
    Free Member

pierced lemon up it’s arris, loads of salt on the skin, baste in butter.
    same as any other chicken.
    beware the ‘corn-fed chicken’ that is clearly just painted with yellow dye.

corroded
    Free Member

Not a whole lemon, just a half. Don’t overcook and not too hot. Keep covered till last 15 mins. I like my birds ‘just’ done, but not too many frills or you don’t get the chickeny flavour.

brakes
    Free Member

Not a whole lemon, just a half.

tightwad.
    you need a whole one to make it airtight to stop the cavity drying out.
    that reminds me, I also put a few tablespoons of water in the cavity to get some internal steaming going on.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Roasting a Corn-Fed Bird,

which bit are you doing, or are you filming it.

You do know its been done to death, so unless its some new angle i would keep quite about it……

brakes
    Free Member

been done to death

snuff movie?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Coffee – screen – you get the idea, I’ll fetch a cloth…

chiefgrooveguru

Salt and pepper and olive oil the skin. Whole lemon and whole garlic inside, both briefly boiled and lemon stabbed before insertion. And rashers of streaky bacon over the chicken from halfway through.

corroded
    Free Member

you need a whole one to make it airtight to stop the cavity drying out

Nah, you need a through-flow of air so it cooks properly; whole lemon bungs it all up. Key is letting the thing cook gently without being underdone – you can only do this if you don’t block the cavity with a whole lemon.

brakes
    Free Member

will have to try your approach.

Gunz
    Free Member

Olive oil on the skin and then rub an OXO chicken stock cube all over it.
    Makes the skin super crispy and you then pour the juices into the gravy – I’m salivating now.

corroded
    Free Member

will have to try your approach.

Try it. I’ve got science on my side 🙂

Finally but most importantly, let the bird get to room temperature before you pop it in the oven. But that’s obvious.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Roasting a Corn-Fed bird.’ is closed to new replies.