Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Roady routes near Carsington water?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

We’re away with my wife’s family this weekend, staying in Aldwark just north of Carsington water.

I’m taking my road bike to escape for a few hours.

Any advice on which direction to head in?

Something around 40 miles, happy with climbing.

slowoldman

Loads, just take a look on a map. Some nice lanes around. You could head west to Wetton, or through Tissington then via Throwley Hall to the south side of Ashbourne (some nice villages), back up to Carsington, Brassington.

tthew

Can you download routes from Strava?? Well anyway, this one fairly well fits the bill. Linky.

the-muffin-man

No specific route from me, but head out towards Parwich, Biggin, Hartington, Hulme End, Alstonefield, Ilam, Thorpe, Tissington.

And if you like climbs the one heading north along the B5056 from Fenny Bentley and finishing at Longcliffe is a nice long steady one.

MoreCashThanDash

Good job if you like climbing!

Just find some lanes on the map and link them up. North side of Carsington towards Bakewell has bigger hills and bigger views, going south between Derby and Ashbourne is more gentle but still lots of lovely lanes to explore. Chatsworth is within easy reach as part of a loop.

Plenty of cafes and tea rooms around the area to refuel.

Just bear in mind that Bank Holiday weekend will mean that Matlock, Ashbourne and especially Bakewell will be rammed, and the A6 will be quicker by bike than a by car!

christhetall
    Free Member

There are a couple of top 100 climbs in Matlock – Riber and Bank Road. The latter was featured on the women’s tour this year, but the former is steeper (and really tricky when damp). the A6 through Matlock Bath is quite spectacular, but will be busy on a BH.

There’s loads of nice roads to the North and North West of where you are staying, just go and explore. Last year I found myself unexpectedly gate-crashing a street party in Elton and being greeted with the words “We have too much cake, please eat as much as you can”.

Then again last Sunday I rode to Carsington from Sheffield and had to dodge a cow that jumped over a wall straight onto the road.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Roady routes near Carsington water?’ is closed to new replies.