Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • (roady) older dura-ace small lever not working without holding large lever….
  • back2basics
    Free Member

on a 9 speed commuter bike, works fine if i hold the large lever in place, but when i just use the smaller lever it wont release the cable. it moves, just the cable doesnt release.
    anyone know how to get into the lever mech itself, internet doesnt seem to hold much answer apart from wd40 and new housing,both of which i have done…
    ta for any advice

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a complete bugger once you get inside them! There’s a small pin where they pivot so you remove the lever assembly, may help, but generally lots of GT85 is your best bet!

back2basics
    Free Member

ta for the advice.i think it maybe the larger lever is moving too much along with the small lever when you use it to change, so perhaps the fault lies there.
    shimano tech docs dont show much for my year of duraace, so not sure how to even dissasemble the lever. will keep looking!

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano don’t want you taking them apart is why! Any STIs for that matter.

crikey
    Free Member

Don’t even try to pull it apart. They’re more complicated than women inside.

Take it off the bike, take the cable out, chuck it in a sink of hot water and washing up liquid, agitate it for a while, rinse with more hot water then dry on a radiator.

Then drip a bit of thick oil into it and try a cable in it.

Too much lube can make worn ratchets fail.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘(roady) older dura-ace small lever not working without holding large lever….’ is closed to new replies.