Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Road/trail bike advice
  • denni
    Free Member

Hi folks,
    Am hoping someone can give me a wee bit of advice.

I have an Avalanche GT 3.0 mountain bike that I only use on the odd trip on the road into town. Middle aged spread had set in so with a couple of mates, I’m looking to do some simple trail riding.

Now, I like my bike but it seems fairly heavy compared to my mates bike so would It be worth selling mine to fund something a wee bit more suitable? I basically want a bike I can still use on the road occasionally but as above, use on trails and up and down the odd off road hill track.

Or, is it worthwhile changing some components on my current bike? It is as it would be out of the box.
    I don’t know a great deal about hybrid type bikes so would appreciate some help.

Thanks, Den

tomkerton
    Free Member

Hi Den,

My opinion – it’s not the weight of the bke that will hold you back, it’s the weight of you! I was in a very similar situation to you 18 months ago. I bought a 400 quid bike fom Halfords that got good reviews. Since I’ve had it I’ve upgraded as the stock stuff wears out or isn’t fit for what I’ve wanted to do with the bike. This way you end up,with what suits you. If you go and buy a new bike it will still have stock bits on it.

Id say go for it on the Avalnche, upgrade as you see fit along the way, when you’re at fighting weight then you will benefit from a lighter bike!

Enjoy the riding mate.

RustyMac

The avalanche 3 I just Googled looks a perfectly good starter bike for trail riding and commuting on.

I’d first up look at the tyres and get something nobbely and grippy for the offroad stuff and something smoother and slicker for the commuting.

So far the cheapest and most productive way of loosing weight from the bike was me loosing it. In the last year I have lost 13kg which is approximately the weight of my bike.

Get out there and ride it, when stuff breaks fix it with nicer bits, if you are out there and you feel something isn’t right or that something needs to improve to make it more enjoyable then pop up your questions and loads of folk will help you then.

denni
    Free Member

Hi folks,
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    Good point about the weight of me! 6ft 3 and currently 16.4 stone, should probably be about 15.8/15.10 ish.
    As you all said, keep the bike I have and take it from there.
    I currently have road tyres on it and popping down to local Indy bike shop tomorrow to have a look at some nobbles.
    Then I can get out and start breaking bits 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Road/trail bike advice’ is closed to new replies.