• This topic has 86 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Roads leading to Peaslake
  • billyboy
    Free Member

Bits of the A25 were shut this afternoon and I went past the western Kent section at 6pm and I wouldn't have bothered.
    On New year's day the roads around Peaslake were pretty hostile without all this snow.

hora
    Free Member

What were all the trails like over the weekend? Is it thawing on the Downs etc?

joolsburger
    Free Member

It was unrideable at Holmbury. I'm prepared to accept I'm not the best climber in the world but my mate is and even he gave it up as a bad job after 300 yards!

Snow was deep and heavy so it was a case of pushing and we decided that pushing them all the way up Holmbury hill was a waste of effort for a slow fally off downhill on the other side.

I'd wait for the thaw

I'm near Esher and we had a few inches, in the Surrey hills it was a good foot deep and more in the drifts.

glenp
    Free Member

Yesterday there was a prolonged period of very fine sleet, almost invisibly fine. All the snow is now quite wet and sticky as well as laying just as deep (ie between eight and twelve inches). I haven't even bothered getting the bike out, but just dog walking in the woods is pretty slow going.

Roads are much better though, so you can probably get here ok. If I were you I'd bring wellies and leave the bike at home though!

hora
    Free Member

Weather looks like snow mid-week but the temp will have picked up so its more likely to be sleet- plus 5degrees so should be a mudfest worsecase Im guessing.

freeridenick
    Free Member

did dorking, westcott, wotton, tower, greensand way dorking yesterday – fine if you stick to stuff that has been compacted by walkers 4*4 etc – off trail was unrideable in places.

hora
    Free Member

Long may the thaw continue!

JamesP
    Free Member

Rode Ranmore, White Downs, Holmbury, Peaslake and returned via Leith Hill and Westcott. Took a lot longer than a typical ride but was 90% rideable if you stayed on the beaten tracks. More difficult over towards White Downs where less people had been.

BKB rode pretty well considering but Yoghurt Pots was pretty much unrideable. Didn't bother with Telegraph as we figured it would be much the same. Quite a lot of people out considering 🙂

Btw, did I spy Jody Crawford in full National Champ regalia at Peaslake?

hora
    Free Member

JamesP- was thinking for next Sat/temperature is picking up during the week so fingers crossed..

freeridenick
    Free Member

when it all melts its going to be awful….

hora
    Free Member

Depends- Peaslake end should be alright? Leith will be claggier?

JamesP
    Free Member

Hora – it certainly wasn't that cold there…the big concern will be how much of muddy mess it becomes once all the snow melts. I wouldn't fancy the end of yoghurt pots much…and I suspect Ranmore will be unrideable as is want after heavy periods of rain.

Agreed though – fingers crossed for a return to normalty 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Yesterday we rode down White Down to Abinger Hammer then up Rad Lane to Peaslake. Then up Holmbury on the road to the reservoir and up to the top, then down Yoghurt Pots and Telegraph Road and back to Abinger Roughs. Telegraph was fine except for the 1st section but Yoghurt Pots a bit tricky.

njee20
    Free Member

Btw, did I spy Jody Crawford in full National Champ regalia at Peaslake?

Probably, he's a local boy and often rides up there.

I hopped on the turbo instead, probably a sensible decision from talking a few folk!

JamesP
    Free Member

Yep. I knew it was him really. Can't be many people with a Artic-Premier RT kit with National Champs stripes can there 😉 I guess with the CX Nationals cancelled that was his ride. Apparently back in the day he used to ride for WDMBC. Way before my time though.

It was actually quite a laugh and on SS hard work. You didn't miss much though.

hora
    Free Member

Well, you might see the pork pie eating champion around Peaslake next week if your lucky. You'll spot 'him' by the look of his shirt. 8)

hora
    Free Member

How much snow has Dorking etc had?

freeridenick
    Free Member

3 inches and still snowing hard…..roads are utter chaos!

hora
    Free Member

FFS.

njee20
    Free Member

Apparently back in the day he used to ride for WDMBC

Yeah he did, late 90s, then he got on the WCPP, that was when it was still Heffs sponsored.

hora
    Free Member

Sats a non-starter with this snow isnt it? It wont have started to thaw properly now will it by then?

glenp
    Free Member

I haven't even been out in the car yet, but I wouldn't expect it to be great by the weekend – we are forecast slightly warmer days and below freezing nights, so expect ice! I'm considering giving it a go in the car in a short while, but I've heard that a bus spun and blocked the A25 at Coast Hill and that Newlands Corner is not moving.

Even if the roads clear the riding is similar to going through deep sand – not the most exciting!

Will keep you posted from the sunny Surrey Hills!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Glen You're not the chap I met on Saturday snowboarding at the bottom of Homlbury are you?

hora
    Free Member

glenp, yes please. The plan was to come down for my mateys birthday in Brighton and ride Peaslake/Leith hill etc on sat and sun. Its now looking like just Sundays best.

glenp
    Free Member

joolsburger – that was probably Richard.

hora – its only Wednesday, so lets see what happens. Just off out in the car now. If I'm back online in half an hour the news is not good!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes he made us feel inadequate by saying you guys all rode what we gave up on last Wednesday night!!

glenp
    Free Member

I'm back – but now I'm in Guildford! Hurray.

Back lanes quite lively, and much easier if nothing is coming the other way. Can only get better, surely?

joolsburger – don't forget, he may have been lying. Never trust a mountain bike guide. We've got a big group on Saturday – here's hoping that its still on. Maybe see you out there!

hora
    Free Member

glenp- ta. Would be interested to see hear how it develops.

freeridenick
    Free Member

this weekend i suspect be horrible – a warm slushy mess. Better to sit in the pub and drink ale/eat…

glenp
    Free Member

Why not be truly radical and go for a walk? Trudging in wellies, snowball fights, go and get warm and glowing in the Kings Head, take a hip flask and a camera etc.

freeridenick
    Free Member

glenp – well of course walk to the Kings Head. some fine ales in there.

glenp
    Free Member

Next drop off I find will be christened Shere Drop.

freeridenick
    Free Member

LOL! We went up and got a Barrel of it from the brewery for a NYE house party – wonderful stuff 8)

Ranmore Ale makes a nice summer tipple.

hora
    Free Member

Walking is not an option soldier.

bobbyspangles

going down to peaslake this sunday with a group in tow-keep us updated fella!

hora
    Free Member

Ping

glenp
    Free Member

Roads are good now, except be sure not to get two wheels in the piled up snow, because it is now very wet and claggy.

Cycling won't be much fun though – very heavy going.

rock
    Free Member

any update on riding conditions around leith/holmbury/pitch?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'm interested to know this has the snow melted yet?

glenp
    Free Member

Rads are all good now – you'll find big piles of dense slush in remote car parks but otherwise ok. I can only call the riding from my dog walking (between Abinger Common and Holmbury) – deep slush and wet snow due to go very muddy when the rain comes.

We've got a group out tomorrow, so I'll see then!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Roads leading to Peaslake’ is closed to new replies.