Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Roadrat question
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone fitted a front mech for a compact, full guards and big tyres (700×38)? Just building one up and it all looks a bit tight back there, even with the wheel at the end of the dropouts, and not sure it’ll all fit. Doesn’t look like I’ll get the guard on the chainstay bridge with the rear mech fitted.

Guards are Tortec ones, very similar to chromoplastics. Tyres are Schwalbe marathon. Front mech is chunky old SLX double I had in the parts bin (looking at it I’m not even sure if it’ll work with the compact chainset!)

Thanks.

Edit… forget that, looking at a road front mech I’ll just fit one of them! Now would it work with a flat bar X9 shifter?

jwr

I did this on my Rat when I first got it (Marathon 35 tyres, Chromoplastic guards, Shimano front mech). The only way I could make it work is by making up a spacer between the chainstay bridge and the mudguard. Even then it was a bit of a bodge and the mech was constantly catching the mud guard.

I switched to Alfine after a year or so – much nicer!

mrblobby
    Free Member

jwr, that is a tempting option! I reckon a road front mech will fit ok, will experiment tonight.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Roadrat question’ is closed to new replies.