Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Roadrat – flats or drops?
  • bobster
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a roadrat package for extra miles in winter, general out with the family riding and just hacking around on bike. Like the idea of starting SS see how that goes, slap on a rear mech if I don't like it.

So run flat bars or drops?

What have people opted for and how are you finding it?

Ta

fatboyslo
    Free Member

SS
    Flat Bars
    Discs

AWESOME !

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If I were getting one I'd go for the drop bar version- just a bit more versatile IMO.

Northwind

I don't have a roadrat, but I've got a fairly equivalent commuting bike. Flats all the way for me, just ask yourself, how often do you see people actually using the drops? Serious roadies do but most people roll around on the flats or hoods pretty much all the time, which is just daft. IMO of course but as one of those riders, drops made no sense at all for me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Flats all the way for me, just ask yourself, how often do you see people actually using the drops?

most people set them up wrong!

i would definately get drops

bobster
    Free Member

most people set them up wrong!

In what way? Looking for pointers should I opt for the drops.

metal_leg
    Free Member

Flared drops like the midge bar. Set up right and you spend most of the time in the drops.

theboatman
    Free Member

Drops, I just find them more versatile and comfy, particularly on longer rides

metal_leg
    Free Member

a-

brooess
    Free Member

I run flats on mine. Good for keeping my head up – essential for commuting! Also means I can run disc brakes. Position is long though and it's great for getting the power down.
    My rides tend to be <5-10 miles so lack of variety in position is not an issue but if yr doing longer distances and not in busy traffic I guess drops may be better. The frame differs depending on whether you want drops or flats so I'd get a test ride if you can…

BadlyWiredDog

Compact drops on mine with cable discs. I used to run flats but for road/easy off road drops work really well. But there's no 'right' answer, just what works for you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Roadrat – flats or drops?’ is closed to new replies.