Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Road/race epic fail MTFU etc…
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I shouldn’t be allowed out on my own really.
    Missed my race because it was held Saturday and not Sunday.

Then today I abandoned my road ride, which is a first.
    Why?
    Because my hands got so cold I felt sick. I first noticed my balance wasn’t to good. Then I couldn’t operate my STIs. Then at about 9.30am the sun started to come out, so I stopped to try and warm them, but soon after starting they got so bad again I couldn’t feel the bars let alone brake or change gear.
    Never ever since I’ve been riding, which as you know is a hell of a long time has this happened.
    Thing is these little fleece gloves were fine soloing Strathpuffer?
    Winter gloves from now on I think, possibly a jacket and oversocks as well.
    -4 actuall temp.

scaredypants

I’m a nancy anyway, but I’ve abandoned a night-tine road ride within 10 mins before now because I couldn’t feel or move my face (that was only about -4 too)

I suspect it was the windchill from my ossum speed, unlike on mtb where I seldom average above 25mph

oldgit
    Free Member

I should have gone off road, it’s never as bad.

Kuco

I find off road better if it’s really cold as you seem to move around more than just sitting and pedalling.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just found some old Alturas I had in the back of the wardrobe, so that won’t happen again.

Jase
    Free Member

My fingers were freezing for first 15mins but then warmed up. Happened again when I stopped for a few mins.

scratch
    Free Member

That feeling sick thing happened to me twice over the weekend, once on the commute home in the snow Friday night, again this morning (-5ish)

Aldi special’s gloves, different pair but used at the ‘puffer 08 plus countless other snowy rides but this weekend really took it’s toll.

Never had the feeling sick thing before, wasn’t sure if it was not eating enough Friday lunch, but it happened again this morning after a huge bowl of porridge, really bloody painful.

Hands stuck out on the hoods probably isn’t helping.

nonk
    Free Member

why do folks go out so early?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I find off road better if it’s really cold as you seem to move around more than just sitting and pedalling.

It’s not just that. You tend to be going faster on the road and so the wind chill factor is much higher hence you feel much colder.

oldgit
    Free Member

scratch it caught me by surprise. I was thinking that I’ve never had this before, even when we just used wooly mits or leather/canvas worthy gloves.
    Going to order a race cut cape, some oversocks and get to a good shop to sort out some decent gloves you can still work in.

radoggair
    Free Member

My commute ( which is about 74 miles return) can mean i leave as early as 4am ( for a 6am start) or coming home at 3am ( finishing at 1am). Unfortunately i dont have a 9-5 job

Apart from that i find road rides ( club meets etc) also err on the early start time ( home by just after lunch ))whereas when i mtb it, i’ll start later and with driving to and from venue i’ll be home 4-5pm ish ( unless its a night ride)

Never have understood the roadie reason why though, also spoils my lie in on my day off the swines

oldgit
    Free Member

The missus is on nights, so the Turbos are coming indoors for the week. I can train away to my hearts content in nothing but my 1974 Montreal olympics Speedos.

thomthumb
    Free Member

My commute ( which is about 74 miles return) can mean i leave as early as 4am ( for a 6am start) or coming home at 3am ( finishing at 1am).

you sleep for an hour?

warton
    Free Member

thomthumb I imagine he’s on a shift pattern, one week on earlys, one week on lates.

do you commute 74 miles every day radoggair?

aP
    Free Member

Montreal was 76 I rather think. Anyone remember Montreal Ted?

br
    Free Member

Sunday was cold, we left at 8am for a mornings ride in the Chilterns – had to stop after a couple of miles to get some circulation into our fingers – fine after that.

trb
    Free Member

Reason 1) To get to work on time
    Reason 2) So I can be back in time for lunch with the missus & kids before an actioned packed afternoon of family fun. I’ve been known to get back and get straight into playing with kids duty before I’ve had a chance to shower & change & will still be wearing cycling kit at tea time – 3 year olds don’t seem to mind that their dad’s a bit smelly!

Blackhound

Recall reading a book by Ned Overend and he mentioned training on a mtb on the road in winter to reduce the wind chill. SLower speed at the same level of effort.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

yep training on the road on my MTB late saturday night (after work) 25 miles in hit a huge patch of black ice and lost the majority of my legwarmers and a large amount of skin, it was a cold and painfull 15 miles home. just before this incident my garmin was saying it was -7.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I felt sick on the commute today when I sprinted up a hill I don’t normally go up – I wonder whether exertion in very cold temperatures and inhaling very cold air is to blame?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Road/race epic fail MTFU etc…’ is closed to new replies.