• This topic has 30 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Road/off-road riding from central Glasgow
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like I’m going to be there four days a week during October and early Nov.

When travelling for work I usually take a bike with me and ride in the evenings, but I’m not sure how practical this is going to be this time. Can I get any decent rides in? Anyone want to show me round?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do you have access to a car or will you be riding from work/where you’re staying?

iainc

if you have a car to get to north side of town, you’d be welcome to come along on Tue or Wed evening rides :

GMBC

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Kelvin Cycleway will take you from Kelvingrove Park a good chunk of the way out to the burbs where the GMBC meet up.

legend
    Free Member

Don’t need a car to get to Mugdock, train takes you right to the park. If you’ve got a bit more time then trains to Stirling open up better options. Or the train to Old Kilpatrick to ride those hills too.

There’s also stuff for a quick blast in Pollock Park, and you can dodge the neds at Cathkin

molgrips
    Free Member

No car, no. Would be leaving work at say 5 earliest.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Where’s your workplace molgrips? I know you said central glasgow but do you mean right in the centre of town?

helpful1
    Free Member

Mugdock is only half an hours ride tops from city centre.

iainc

our GMBC ones start and finish at Milngavie & Bearsden Sports Club; we usually end off with tea and cakes, so could be a lateish train back to town…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I did an ace ride out along the sustrans route to Loch Lomond the other week hour there and an hour back from the airport so a bit longer from town I guess.

krixmeister

Slight thread hijack – how acceptable/not is it take the train back into town after out riding and having a filthy bike/body? I’ve been wanting to join the GMBC rides, but am on South side of Glasgow and my wife usually needs the car on Tuesday/Wednesday evenings.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Would be leaving work at say 5 earliest.

Bring lights. It gets dark a lot earlier up here in the winter.

After 24th October it’ll be dark before you leave work.

rene59
    Free Member

According to their website GMBC have bike wash facilities at their base so no need to travel filthy.

iainc

^^^ there are a few southsiders who do the club rides regularly so you might be able to get a lift – stick a note on the FB page

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bring lights. It gets dark a lot earlier up here in the winter.

Amen to that, there were a couple of nights last week when I had my lights on leaving work at 5.

molgrips
    Free Member

GMBC looks pretty slick and well organised, I’ll give them a try – thanks folks 🙂

Where’s your workplace molgrips? I know you said central glasgow but do you mean right in the centre of town?

I think so, yes. If it’s only half an hour’s ride to those club rides I’d just ride.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think so, yes. If it’s only half an hour’s ride to those club rides I’d just ride.

That’s half an hour with an average speed of around 18mph and no traffic to negotiate, I would say 30 minutes is optimistic.

iainc

molgrips – pop a post up on the GMBC Facebook page once you know where you’re staying/working and someone may be passing on their way to club rides.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack – how acceptable/not is it take the train back into town after out riding and having a filthy bike/body? I’ve been wanting to join the GMBC rides, but am on South side of Glasgow and my wife usually needs the car on Tuesday/Wednesday evenings.

I do it all the time, from fairlie to prestwick, no probs.

Molly, you’re more than welcome to join us for a night ride in deepest Ayrshire, 40 mins on train from weegieland. And if you fancy riding dumyat up by Stirling, I can pick you up on the way through, it’s s cracking night ride.

iainc

^^^ you’ll go to Ayrshire a boy and come back a man…. 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There speaks the voice of experience….

iainc

Nobeer – indeed, and it was just that one ride we did 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

^^^ you’ll go to Ayrshire a boy and come back a man….

…. with a new appreciation for the banjo and inbred man love

iainc

^^^^ 🙂 better watch, nobeer may don his checked shirt and cowboy boots and come chase you for that one….

perchypanther
    Free Member

^^^^ better watch, nobeer may don his checked shirt and cowboy boots and come chase you for that one….

I’ll be fine…..unless he brings his Uncle Dad for backup 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m only going to be there for 4-6 weeks, I’ll have to plan carefully to get it all in 🙂

Thanks folks, will be in touch nearer the time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

^^^^ better watch, nobeer may don his checked shirt and cowboy boots and come chase you for that one….

Says the man from the Scottish Midlands. The only place in Scotland that you get a ‘high six’… 😆

iainc

😛

perchypanther
    Free Member

iainc

^^^ we do actually speak in real life too 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Road/off-road riding from central Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.