Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Roadies…weird hand signals & gestures..
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just seen another thread about roadies so thought I'd mention this one, a couple of days ago I was on my way to the superbmarket & when i approached the roundabout to turn left, I gave way to 3 roadies who were heading the same way as me. The shop is literally 75yds from said roundabout so rather than overtake the bikers then turn left in front of them, i held back. The guy at the back then starts making strange hand signals with his right hand (stuck his arm out & made a circular movement with his hand)& looking over his left shoulder. By now I'm indicating left to pull into the shop. He then starts doing a similar thing with his left hand after which he looks at me turning in to the car park & starts shaking his head! I don't think he was talking to the 2 in front cos they seemed to be talking to each other.
    WTF??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

stoney
    Free Member

He must have been swatting a fly 😆

Gary_C

The guy at the back then starts making strange hand signals with his right hand (stuck his arm out & made a circular movement with his hand)& looking over his left shoulder.

He then starts doing a similar thing with his left hand after which he looks at me turning in to the car park & starts shaking his head!

Perhaps it was just side effects of the drugs????

petesam
    Free Member

By the looks of it , he might have been asking you to lower your hook on landing, which you obviously didn't do. Understandable annoyance on his part i'd say…

petesam
    Free Member

…i obviously don't know how this "clicky" thing is supposed to work do i?!…

AndyP
    Free Member

means 'going round the roundabout' (circular motion = round,unsurprisingly) – they're doubling back basically. If he looked at you and shook his head I can only assume you had comedy riser bars and scoutmaster/clown baggy shorts?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

That gesture would normally mean 'get yer lazy arse through and do a turn' if it was a chain gang. not quite sure what he was after you to do though.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Ah! missed the roundabout bit, that's more likely.

AndyP
    Free Member

aye I can't see why anyone would ask the bloke at the very back to do a turn. Crash-tastic!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

means 'going round the roundabout' (circular motion = round,unsurprisingly) – they're doubling back basically. If he looked at you and shook his head I can only assume you had comedy riser bars and scoutmaster/clown baggy shorts?

That would have been funny except (& as I omitted to mention)…I was in the car.

AndyP
    Free Member

were you wearing comedy scoutmaster/clown/nonce baggy shorts in the car?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Sounds as though he initially was telling you you were OK to come past, but the rest is odd. 🙂

Remember that "roadies" are not all in the same brotherhood, and a huge percentage currently haven't been doing it all that long and may simply be making random hand gestures they've seen other people make.

The shouts on a club run about cars in my club have got very confusing recently. It used to be that the old chaps shouted "car down" for a car coming towards the group from the opposite direction, and "car up" for a vehicle approaching from behind (remembered as "up your arse and down your throat", obviously not in a gay way). These days you have all sorts of younger chaps enthusiastically reversing that, and shouting with great gusto, so one never knows where the traffic is at all. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Never ever seen that with any of the clubs I've trained or raced with either here or abroad.
    If I'm going right around a roundabout I indicate!
    I think you probably witnessed an epi.

julianwilson
    Free Member

It must be catching. The other week I joined a 15ish size group (mountainbike) night ride that a couple of my friends go on weekly: a couple of them started the wavey things on a cyclepath. Having eliminated all the probable reasons and moved on the the improbable, I think a side to side wave by your bum must mean 'stinky dog ahead'.

nickc

BD I heard that in' Merica once, we say "Car front" and "Car behind" Obvious really.

bensales
    Free Member

Side to side wave by your arse means keep left or right depending on the direction the wave is in.

AndyP
    Free Member

aye the up/down thing gets confusing. 'front' and 'back' much simpler and difficult to mix up..

aP
    Free Member

I say car up & car back, at least I don't say "oil".

halfbee
    Free Member

Circular motion pointing down means man hole cover or pothole to me – in a tight peleton the riders at the back can't see road hazards coming up

oldgit
    Free Member

Left/right hand pointing down any hazzard on the road.
    Left hand behind bottom pulling/pull out to the right.
    Right arm pointing down palm out = warning/slow.
    Don't ever verbally communicate.
    And I never give a signal for a rider to come through, everyone knows when it's their turn, except in a race and I prefer the look into their eye method.

AndyP
    Free Member

Don't ever verbally communicate.
    that's truly scary. Remind me not to get in a group with you.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

They sound like majorettes

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Looking back i bet he just had some numbness in his fingers. & a stiff neck.

allthepies
    Free Member

>Don't ever verbally communicate.

Sounds like a right barrel of fun

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Roadies…weird hand signals & gestures..’ is closed to new replies.