• This topic has 87 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Roadies with super-fast cadence
  • rone

My best rides on my MTB according to my power meter are those with high cadence and plenty of force. So big ring and high cadence.

It’s quite hard to do. But yields the best results.

LeeW

rone

My best rides on my MTB according to my power meter are those with high cadence and plenty of force. So big ring and high cadence.

It’s quite hard to do. But yields the best results.

I’ll have to try that, high cadence and high force you reckon? 😀

dovebiker

As far as Pharmstrong’s cadence before and after he started ‘training’ with Ferrari, apparently there was only a small variation – it was simply his increased pharmacologically-assisted capacity that made it appear although he was spinning faster in comparison to others because they were simply knackered.

FuzzyWuzzy

As has been said high cadence being more efficient is not proven (and some studies have shown the opposite). Sure it may reduce muscle damage but that’s more relevant to pro riders in 1 week+ tours not commuters and sportive riders etc.

crazy-legs

Back to the OP’s question:
    The stretch of downhill, is it the flattening out of a steep descent following a climb?

What often happens is that riders are in a low gear going up the climb, they crest the summit and then, on a very steep section they won’t be needing to pedal so they just freewheel down and once the road flattenss out they’ll start trying to pedal – while still in the gear they’ve just completed the climb.

Just poor reading of the road, inexperience etc.

I think that’s a more likely explanation that every one of them doing high cadence sprint specific drills!

greyspoke
    Free Member

Two common mistakes one sees in younger cyclists are too high a cadence and too much force on the pedals. This places strain on the body and equipment leading to damage and expense, not to mention the increased danger from higher speeds. Have you ever paused to consider those low cadence riders you are passing? Probably injury-free and riding the same bike that has been in the shed with little or no maintenance for the past decade.

Food for thought.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Downhill with the wind behind you = no pedalling at all in my world 😆

twisty

Cadence is a trade off. Higher cadence reduces intensity on the leg muscles, but at the expense of loading the cardiovascular system more. What is the best RPM depends on the particular person and situation.

In any case I found that if I was doing a hard effort, i.e. 70%+ of VO2 then I could only sustain this by pedalling 100+RPM.

If they are pedalling so fast that they are bouncing then this is definitely more inefficient than a lower cadence because they are actually pushing backwards at the bottom of their pedal stroke.

As far as Pharmstrong’s cadence before and after he started ‘training’ with Ferrari, apparently there was only a small variation – it was simply his increased pharmacologically-assisted capacity that made it appear although he was spinning faster in comparison to others because they were simply knackered.

Makes sense. VO2max is supposed to be relatively fixed by genetics and does not change much through changing training techniques. If somebody did relatively quickly increase their VO2 though doping then this would be realised into improved performance by an increased cadence.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

High cadence hasn’t been debunked, it’s just been shown to be a lot more complicated than spin to win.

You also need to look at how much power you are needing to produce, how much you are capable of, how much force you can apply, how “efficiently” you pedal at various speeds, VO2 max and a shit load of other things. So for the same person, one task might be best performed at 80 rpm, another task might be 100+……..

And Ulrich wasn’t actually that low cadence a rider. Even in the days before he tried to emulate Lance. Just lower than many of his contemporaries.

And high cadence riding predates Lance by several decades, IIRC Anquetil used to be a fan, and i can remember being shouted at by my dad (who hasn’t ridden a bike in anger for over 50 years now) to keep leg speed up when i was a schoolboy, which was 30-35 odd years ago. And we used to regularly alternate between leg speed and leg strength drills.

mattyfez

My own highly scientific experiments show that I’m better with higher cadence.

I’ve got no way to measure my cadence but Basically I tried not changing up a gear until I’m on the verge of spinning out on un challenging terain, saving my thighs so I can give it some welly on ascents, then go back to spinning to recover when it flatens out again.

Seems to work over something like a 20 mile bridalway ride, I don’t achieve as high a top speed but my average speed is a little higher, so faster overall.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Probably find that the drug programs the guys were on would affect their optimum cadence too. Ulrich on the roids would tend to slow down and use grunt. Armstrong on EPO and HGH would tend to increase to load the cardio side of things.

And FWIW, if you can’t apply force to the pedals when you are spinning at 100+ it’s technically flailing at the pedals, rather than pedaling, and won’t do you any favours.

mooman
    Free Member

Youngsters racing have restrictions on their gearing – which forces them to spin the smaller gears a lot faster. Recently had a 15yr old BC sponsored rider join a club chain gang who only had something like a 14T on back … he maintained a fantasticly high cadence to keep up; this ability to spin around 140rpm probably carries over as they move up the gears with age … Just a theory!

mattbee

In at my most comfortable spinning around the 90-100rom mark, feels like I tire less than using a lower cadence.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Youngsters racing have restrictions on their gearing – which forces them to spin the smaller gears a lot faster.

Why is this? Is the idea to save a young, growing rider’s body from being destroyed by mashing high gears? Like touch rugby for young children?

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve got no way to measure my cadence

Can you count to one hundred and do you own a watch? 😉

crazy-legs

Why is this? Is the idea to save a young, growing rider’s body from being destroyed by mashing high gears? Like touch rugby for young children?

Partly that but also partly to level the playing field a bit.
    Kids develop at different rates; you can have a 15yr old who looks 18 and one who looks 12 in the same race so the idea is to try and ensure that the stronger rider doesn’t just simply bang it into the highest ghear possible and disappear up the road.

It teaches riders to use skill and tactics rather than simply big gear = GO FAST

opusone
    Free Member

The stretch of downhill, is it the flattening out of a steep descent following a climb?

What often happens is that riders are in a low gear going up the climb, they crest the summit and then, on a very steep section they won’t be needing to pedal so they just freewheel down and once the road flattenss out they’ll start trying to pedal – while still in the gear they’ve just completed the climb.

Interesting… That describes the terrain perfectly.

I’ve tried spinning it in lower gears for the past couple of days just out of curiousity. I think that I am, to my surprise, somewhat faster, although I can’t be bothered to measure that so I don’t know for sure. This whole thread is making me think a bit more about my approach to gearing anyway. Thanks everyone!

opusone
    Free Member

Roadies” is a description I only ever hear used on STW. Given that most people who ride on the road also ride other types of bikes its pretty passive aggresive as with this op.

I think the term you’re looking for is “good natured piss-taking”.

cloudnine
    Free Member

This whole thread is making me think a bit more about my approach to gearing anyway. Thanks everyone!

This is how it started with Lance. It was a roadie gateway to evil. You need to get back to mashing big gears and exploding knee caps before you go up the hill that no one can catch you.
    #prayforopusone

noncycler
    Free Member

I can hold a cadence of 180 fairly easily and max out at 220+ I’m not even very fit.
    I’m not a roadie. I’m not a mountainbiker. I’m not a BMXer.
    I have roadbikes and all the kit that goes with them.
    I have Downhill bikes and all the kit that goes with them.
    I have other mountainbikes
    I have a BMX
    I ride them all simply for the enjoyment of it.

Not sure the point of this thread?

Want to know “why” someone else does something you don’t? Ask THEM. in real life. not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

You want to pedal faster? Pedal faster more often.

Sometimes life really is that simple.

imnotverygood

You do realise that cadence refers to one complete revolution of the crank?

scaredypants

You do realise that cadence refers to one complete revolution of the crank?

oh, yes. I think so

whitestone
    Free Member

@scaredypants – I think he was questioning the claimed cadence of 180 -220 not your understanding of the term.

scaredypants

Yeah – there just seemed to be a hint of “noncycler=AWESOME” about that post

njee20
    Free Member

Two common mistakes one sees in younger cyclists are too high a cadence and too much force on the pedals

These two things are mutually exclusive, surely? That’s basically saying that the mistakes you see are pedalling too fast and pedalling too slowly. So… Yes, those are the ways it’s possible to do it wrong…

“Easily” holding 180rpm does sound a little optimistic, POIDH!

twisty

noncycler – Member
    I can hold a cadence of 180 fairly easily

You are Craig MacLean and I claim my rollapaluza and draft-assisted world speed record breaking Rourke bike.

onandon
    Free Member

For years I rode a 53/42 Chainset but after a summer on a single speed mountain bike I learned to spin. I realised I was a spinner and changed to a 34/50. This was the single biggest improvement to my road cycling in 20 years.

greyspoke
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Two common mistakes one sees in younger cyclists are too high a cadence and too much force on the pedals

These two things are mutually exclusive, surely? That’s basically saying that the mistakes you see are pedalling too fast and pedalling too slowly. So… Yes, those are the ways it’s possible to do it wrong…

“Easily” holding 180rpm does sound a little optimistic, POIDH!
    Not mutually exclusive at all, try it yourself. You just
    1 pedal slowly
    2 push lightly on the pedals.
    The road to cycling pleasure, simple!

njee20
    Free Member

But then you’ll go very slowly 😕

whitestone
    Free Member

“Hold” a cadence of 180 for how long? 10 seconds? A minute? An hour?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Even the best trackies in the world only hold the very high cadences for a few seconds. Anything over 150-160 ish is pretty much “race finish” leg speed. And only for ~15 seconds. And fashion/latest studies/current tactics are tending to move to lower cadences. Gears have moved up 15-20″ in the last few years, around mid 90s used to be a sprint gear, the top guys are now on 100+, approaching 110″

I suspect noncycler is just that, a non-cyclist making stuff up.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Probably just spinning out their legs after grinding up the climb.

Cadence is a very individual thing (muscle make up, heart and lung capacity) and also varies with a whole range of factors (power, fatigue, slope, inertia, position.) There’s probably also a bit of fashion in there too. And there are lots of situations you might also want to hold a cadence that isn’t optimal based on those factors (a sprint, a need to be able to respond to accelerations, terrain, etc.)

I suspect noncycler is just that, a non-cyclist making stuff up.

🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Different people are happier pedalling at different cadences – while muscular efficiency is theoretically higher at higher speeds, there’s also the effect of those reciprocating pistons. It takes energy to move your leg up and down, the faster you do it the more energy it needs.

the two effects compete against each other, so the ideal cadence depends a lot on your own muscle structure.

Spinning is also partly a result of not being in an ideal position to push efficiently. I find I spin faster on an upright bike than I do on a recumbent, where I have something to push against.

trickydisco
    Free Member

THIS is super-fast cadence

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgyq8Zkp10Y[/video]

Average cadence of 237!!

TiRed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27249820

Although 50 vs. 100 rpm is somewhat contrived, there appears to be a good effect of spinning on maximum lactate at steady-state.

The higher MLSS at 105 than at 60RPM combined with an invariance of IMLSS and RER close to 1 at MLSS support the hypothesis that higher cadences can induce a preservation of carbohydrate at given BLC levels during low intensity high volume training sessions.

atlaz
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0[/video]

noncycler earlier

molgrips
    Free Member

We used to have bottom gear races on the school playground. It’s surprisingly hard work spinning like a nutter to ride at 10mph on flat. Why? Cos you spend a lot of effort moving the mass of your legs up and down. So my theory is that the larger your legs, the more is wasted moving them up and down, so the slower your optimum cadence would be.

I have big legs and I generally average 81 or 82 over a road ride, which seems lower than some of you.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I mentioned this with the flailing. You need to practice applying force at very high cadences. Which is where the different drills come into play. And the slightly more old school method of riding fixed in the winter.

noncycler
    Free Member

“Hold” a cadence of 180 for how long? 10 seconds? A minute? An hour?

Minutes. on the flat. low gear. clipped in. sat down.
    *I find it trickier to hold a smooth fast rhythm on a descent due to the lack of resistance.
    Seconds stood up on the BMX on flats.
    Can’t reach 220 stood up on flats… although my BMX does not have a cadence/power meter.

Never owned rollers. Infact only ever ridden a set once. Just a quick go for the novelty value. and in jeans n T shirt.

Comments on here make me wonder if some of the posters even ride a bike regularly. if so you could probably do with varying your riding a bit and opening your minds.

dragon
    Free Member

For roadies a few minutes is less than 5% of the ride, so statistically negligible. When you’ve done some decent length rides feel free to come back and join the debate.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Roadies with super-fast cadence’ is closed to new replies.