Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Roadies… Why are they so cold?
  • Alejandro
    Free Member

‘Cold’ in a literal sense – I’ve noticed on a number of occasions now that they are always mummified head to toe in lycra even when the sun is shining. Today, I started off exploring the countryside on my MTB, through a mixture of bridleways and singletrack, then got spat back out onto the road and decided to stay on the road for a bit. Ended up doing a good five hours and really enjoyed it. It was very warm and sunny and I was toasty in a short sleeve jersey and shorts, but every roadie seemed to be going long top and bottom? Saw perhaps a couple wearing shorts. Just kept thinking to myself that they must be boiling? Does anyone know the reason?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

They are fitter than you. A gentle ampble for them is a leg busting sweaty heart attack for you.

#Edit – just to add – I’m in no way fit- but my missus comes out with me for long jaunts. I’m proper freezing with all the breaks, slow climbs etc etc. So I just wear more than her. Any for anyone that knows me – I know I am in no way fit. But my not fit is her olyimpian 😉

Tiger6791

40% less body fat

robhughes
    Free Member

Aerodynamics ? 😀

garage-dweller

Wind chill from their awesome speed?

Most roadies have less ‘insulation’ than me so I always assumed that was why.

Alejandro
    Free Member

Not so sure – overtook a few, only overtaken once.

andrewh
    Free Member

Faster = more windchill
    Not using upper body as much = less heat generated inside
    I get very cold on a road bike if there is a slight chill in the air, less bad on an MTB, but I run all winter in shorts, deep snow and everything, (and runners don’t wear overshoes, 🙂 just not necessary.)
    I always wear gloves though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they are going much faster than you and the wind chill is far greater
    I have not gone to lycra on the road bike yet but shorts on the MTB

overtook a few,

I would die of shame if this ever happens.

jam-bo

Faster speeds. Wind chill. less chub to keep them warm.

Although the chap who slowed down to chat with me for a bit on dartmoor was wrapped up good and proper and even complained it was cold. I was in shorts and short sleeved top….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I always wear baggy stuff & carry a Camelbak when I’m on the road bike. Cos I is a rebel innit.
    Dunno what fitness has to do with it though

will
    Free Member

Main reason is wind chill. At 25+mph it gets quite cold.

Today for example i was in 3/4 and a ss too. My hands and arms were cold, until I stopped, then it was warm again.

yunki
    Free Member

cold blooded int they…

samuri
    Free Member

Dunno what fitness has to do with it though

Fit people are more efficient and develop less internal heat as a result. That’s why roadies are colder.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

’88 Giro d’Italia – Gavia Pass – ‘core

Worth a read http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/update-gavia-pass-for-saturday.html

nick3216
    Free Member

40% less body fat

6% here and out in short sleeves and naked knees today.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I have seen lots of MTBers dressed in waterproof jackets and tights under baggies on warm days; there seems to be an abundance of people that either have poor circulation or feel the need to adorn their entire wardrobe every ride.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

TBF it was 4 degrees when I set off this morning, but got quite warm later on in the sun.

pinches
    Free Member

as above, was 3 deg when i left this morning so went knee warmers and LS jersey.

Jamie
    Free Member

To reduce the risk of silly tan lines, I just cover myself from head to toe in Lycra. That way I remain a uniform pasty white.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I did a 60 miler on the roadbike today, around some of Yorkshire’s flat bits, in Baa baa, Phantom and long lycra, I wasn’t overly hot, I wear plenty of body fat, too. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

That’s weird, I was thinking just the opposite today. I saw lots of roadies out in full (often team) lycra and the MTBers I saw were all wrapped up head-to-toe in black, mostly wearing jackets.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

1-10 deg full winter kit
    10-15 base, long sleeve top and long sleeve Jersey over that with shorts or tights depending on which end of the scale the temp is at.
    15+ shorts, base and short sleeve Jersey.

Its all about the wind chill. 15-25 MPH on a constant basis for hours on end takes a lot of body heat away.

Spin
    Free Member

Gavia 1988 = Stuff of Legends.

Would never happen these days. Can you imagine how the Schlecks would whinge?

Schleck “Is this what people really want to see?”
    Cycling fan: “Did anyone die? If not, then yes that’s what we want to see”

damo2576
    Free Member

Half the body fat = colder
    Twice the speed = colder
    Not eating pies = colder
    No backpack containing half a workshop and larder = colder

oldgit
    Free Member

Because it was bloody freezing. 8am start, ice on the cars = longs, vest, L/s jersey, gilet and full finger gloves.

And no shelter, no stopping, far greater speeds, sitting in one position, greater risk of wind chill.

And it was winter a week ago. Why would you wear the same kit in this weather as the kit you’d wear to climb an Alp in the height of summer?

Edit; Some roadies don’t like to get into summer kit too soon, so they can feel the benefit of the lighter less restrictive kit when it counts.

jota180
    Free Member

This weekend
    3/4 bibs on the road with long sleeve jersey
    shorts with long sleeve jersey on the mtb

you (well, me anyway) move around a lot less on the road bike
    I’m a statue apart from piston like legs of iron 😀

jruk
    Free Member

Road riding sounds really fun…no wonder I’ve never seen a smiling roadie, they’re all freezing (or are in fact the cycling dead).

atlaz
    Free Member

I work a lot harder on the road bike overall than on the MTB but like has been said, the average overall speed increase can blow a lot of the warmth out. I made the seasonal switch to shorts and knee warmers about 3 weeks ago from tights and tend to go with a windproof jacket and long-sleeve jersey on top. With MTB I find the cold comes and goes but on the road it seems to be a constant companion in this sort of weather.

alex222
    Free Member

in my experience road rides tend to start earlier and finish later. also air temp is taking a while to pick up this time of year.

tracknicko
    Free Member

went from about 2 degrees yesterday morn to about 20 in the pm.

in my experience mtb rides don’t tend to last 6 hours, whereas they do EVERY week on road bike.

hence early starts and plenty of kit on.

globalti
    Free Member

My average speed off road: 6-9 mph.

My average speed on road: 14-17 mph.

I live at the top of a long hill so the first 10 minutes of any ride on a cold morning are not great.

RustySpanner

If you’re out on a long off road ride, you usually have a bag, so can stuff your jacket in there if things get a bit too warm.

On a long ‘serious bizniz’ road ride (you know, the ones where the rider is convinced they’ll be picked for the Tour someday), no pack will be worn, so if the conditions change the rider will have no option but to carry on, sweating in the heat and unable to rehydrate because his single, quarter full bottle has run out.

I’ve started dumping the bag for most road rides myself these days (don’t tell anyone, ok?), and always wear a base layer with huuge pockets so I can stuff a waterproof or windproof in.
    Less stops on the road, so less variation in temperature, but roadie clothing is always a compromise – I tend to err on the side of wearing too much, as I prefer to be slightly too warm than too cold.

Or I just slow down and take the tourer, put the panniers on, take a spare layer and stop for a picnic half way round. Much more civilised.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i don’t think you need to think you’re going to get picked for a pro team to realise how **** uncomfortable it is to wear a backpack on a long road ride.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you’re out on a long off road ride, you usually have a bag

Oh dear..

EDIT: Or by long road ride do you mean touring?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I was out on the road bike yesterday in the Peak District, wearing shorts and short-sleeves. Plenty of sun but I never warmed up properly for getting on for 5 hours. I enjoyed the climbs because at least I was a bit warmer. Brrr!

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh dear..

I have re-read Rusty Spanner’s post a few times now. Still not sure what it means.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

More sweat needs to be wicked away.
    Otherwise you’ll get cold.

druidh
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member
    > If you’re out on a long off road ride, you usually have a bag
    Oh dear..

EDIT: Or by long road ride do you mean touring?Can you not read laddie?

RustySpanner

Sorry, I’ve just read it again and even I’m not sure what I mean.

When riding my ‘roadie’ bike, I dont take a rucksack.
    I tend to overdress slightly at this time of year;
    Hate riding home cold and wet so usually take a light jacket.
    Often can’t be arsed to take it offif it brightens up, so am sometime a bit warm, as the OP said.

Off road, I usually take a bag, so I can stuff extra layers in.
    More stops off road, greater temperature variation and usually higher up, it makes sense for big days out in the hills.
    So you don’t always look like you’ve just stepped out of a sauna.

Pannier for the tourer & I was only joking about serious roadies, we all still do the commentary in our heads as we beat that lady on the shopping bike to the lights. 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

plus general wind as well as speed induced wind makes one colder…

A LOT more shelter in the woods, pottering around at around 8mph than there is up on the moors chewing ya bar tape…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Roadies… Why are they so cold?’ is closed to new replies.