Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Roadies who wear spec's for distance – riding on the drops help please
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I wear glasses as I’m rather shortsighted. When I’m riding on the hoods, things are fine but when I get down on the drops, I have to strain my neck to see through rather than over my glasses. After a while this is really painful. I don’t want to wear contacts all day as I use a screen and find they dry out and become uncomfortable. What do you fellow Mr. Magoos do? Do I have to buy some Dennis Taylor specials?

mcobie
    Free Member

I wear Oakley Jawbones; never had a problem with them on the drops (mind you I don’t tend to spend masses of time on them)…

tang
    Free Member

I get this problem. I cant wear contacts but I did get some different shaped frames for riding (not quite dennis jobs!) with a more oval top than the narrow flatter ones i wear everyday. helped a bit for sure.

clubber
    Free Member

Jawbones are good for this problem actually – they come with two sets of nose pieces, one of which raises the glasses up higher.

Interesting on the contacts front though as I wear contacts and use a screen most of the day too without problem. When did you last try contacts? Current ones are WAY better than they were even just a few years ago.

derek_starship
    Free Member

[shameless bump]

I can’t be the only shortsighted road bike rider that likes to see AND be on the drops!

nedrapier

I’m not that shortsighted, so don’t bother for the commute, but if I’m off on a Lovely Bike Ride and want to see the leaves on the trees etc., I’ll wear contacts.

So not much help, sorry!

geoffj

Stuey01
    Free Member

Prescription Oakleys seem to be a good option?

I wear contacts though so can’t help. (all day, all night ones – bloody great they are).

samuri
    Free Member

I wear glasses that fit properly. if they’re close to your eyes then you can see through them no matter what angle your head is at, yes?

geoffj

f they’re close to your eyes then you can see through them no matter what angle your head is at, yes?

Too close and do they not steam up – yes?

cheese@4p

Try retainers around your head so you can tighten the gigs up close.

thehustler
    Free Member

j fey do a nice range of frames which are a sport opthalnic hybrid they are a bit pricey but really do the job well,

I have this one

http://www.coolframes.com/?fid=35612

samuri
    Free Member

Too close and do they not steam up – yes?

Only if you go slow.

globalti
    Free Member

Buy some snug-fitting sports frames from Decathlon or TK Max and get them glazed to your prescription for £50. I got mine for £2.99 from TK Max .

aP
    Free Member

Get your optician to glaze them so that they work for where you want to look when you’re in the riding position. That’s what I ask mine to do for me.

derek_starship
    Free Member

globalti – could I get my Endura Stingrays glazed to my ‘script in that case?

thehustler
    Free Member

Endura stingrays, not sure just had a look at a pic, would need to see how they are held into the frame, pretty much any full rimmed frame yes, some v high wrap frames might cost a bit more for the lenses as they would need a higher base curve lense, infact i glazed these

for my little lad for skiing last year (he has a really strong prescription), and they are a decathlon off the peg goggle

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Roadies who wear spec's for distance – riding on the drops help please’ is closed to new replies.