Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 521 total)
  • Roadies whats your average speed?
  • TiRed

Not ours 👿

somafunk

According to my viewranger stats for last nights road run i averaged 9.07 mph over 12.95 miles, altitude gain 1509 ft and max speed 23.32mph, trip time 1.46.22.

I doubt i’ll be bothering the hour record anytime soon 😀

Usually my averages are anywhere between 9mph to 12 mph, on a pitiful but….but….but….but….. ,i used to quite happily lap all of Kirroughtree red/black in under 2 hrs on a rigid ss.

I’ll be heading back out in 10 mins after this double espresso has worked it’s magic, might try and crack the magic 10mph average t’night….watch out cavendish…i’m coming for you……….very slowly 😀

g5604
    Free Member

only true measure is riding with someone, everyone on this thread would struggle to average 15mph+ on my commute.

mrblobby
    Free Member

only true measure is riding with someone

Only true measure is racing. Level playing field and everyone is trying (not “on a zone 2 day”!)

Crosshair, you are too kind 🙂 I still reckon you’d beat me round a gorrick.

mboy
    Free Member

That’s not particularly tough though, unless it’s a V10! I can do that on my Superfly without much difficulty if I feel the need, I rarely do though!

Two things to note njee…

1. You is significantly fitter and quicker than most, including myself, and…

2. I don’t live in the mountains, but it’s a fair bit lumpier round here than where you live! 😉

njee20
    Free Member

only true measure is riding with someone, everyone on this thread would struggle to average 15mph+ on my commute.

Hang on… how do you know, have you ridden with everyone here? 😕

I suspect you’re right, because there’s presumably some oddity with your commute. But still.

but it’s a fair bit lumpier round here than where you live!

Is it? I rarely ride anywhere hilly on the road, as my commute is between two places with no hills in the middle, but it doesn’t seem inordinately hilly there, from your Strava:

27/11/2014 Thursday night shop ride: 29.5 miles 1300ft climbed
    WSJCC cafe ride: 30.9 miles 861ft
    13/11/2014 Thursday night shop ride: 25.4 miles 932ft

Am I missing something? Those are not hilly rides! Indeed, my commute is hillier than that.

mtbel
    Free Member

I feel a swoon coming on.

😆 lucky someone got the smelling salts out I see 😉
    just checked the segment and I was wrong 😳 it’s only 4.4miles and my best time is 9:31 🙁
    that’s still an average of very nearly 28mph though.
    My point (as I believe NJee’s first post was) is that 5 miles is not exactly indicative of a sustainable average over any sort of decent mileage.
    (I’d actually agree that 20mph avg on the flat on the road using an mtb is not all that difficult over a short distance as well).

Our local chaingang’s fastest group Avgs 27mph over 3 laps of an 8 mile circuit with 12 tight turns and a few rises per lap.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

that’s still an average of very nearly 28mph though.

No it’s not

njee20
    Free Member

It’s 27.8 mph. Can we see the segment?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Oh yer, looked wrong, thought he had kph and mph mixed 😳

g5604
    Free Member

Hang on… how do you know, have you ridden with everyone here?

I know because I regularly get top 10s on the strava segments (many with 3000+ riders) on my commute and I very rarely average over 15mph. Traffic, road surface, junctions, students, traffic lights etc etc.. all kill fast speeds.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Normally around 27kmh for 1-2 hr bumpy ride

Same here.

simondbarnes

About 25kph

mtbel
    Free Member

Nope.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Ok the same run coming home with strong head wind was 17miniutes. I was peddling like a nutter trying trying to keep up my new image as a speed machine! 😯

TimP
    Free Member

Njee, sorry it was 1200ft, was busy at work and my memory is fading. It was in the fens

http://app.strava.com/activities/177699929

njee20
    Free Member

I know because I regularly get top 10s on the strava segments (many with 3000+ riders) on my commute and I very rarely average over 15mph.

Right, so you don’t know.

Njee, sorry it was 1200ft, was busy at work and my memory is fading

Still, impressively flat!

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    julians
    Free Member

Just under 16 mph for my usual 20miles 1500ish feet of climbing ride

scotroutes

100!!!

scotroutes

Often driven that road when the race is on and don’t envy the riders with traffic weaving in and out.[/quote]What traffic? – And it’s not a race.

cchris2lou

this thread makes me realise how slow i am .

i am normally happy with anything above 25km/h . 😆

samuri
    Free Member

IT
    IS
    ALWAYS
    A
    RACE

Yeah, in busy traffic play safe kids but that old lady on the shopper, she’s got her eye on the prize, and the prize is YOUR SOUL!!!!!

Also, that guy who uses an electric bike on my commute and can do over 30mph on it, I could call you a cheat, I could shrug my shoulders and say I’ll never catch you, I could point out I’m on a heavy, steel fixie cross bike with a heavy bag on my back…But I won’t.

One day sunshine. One day.

Original question though. I’m very slow.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/r9nPWU]206[/url] by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

njee20
    Free Member

Nope.

Gosh, I’m really struggling to be surprised. Nope, can’t do it.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Love a good willy waving thread ’cause I can wave with the best of ’em 😆
    Quickest 100 miler I’ve done was this one last spring :
    https://app.strava.com/activities/132193451
    Not a bad average seen as there was 5800ft of climbing.
    Also done a 210miler with reggiegasket off here and averaged 16.5mph. Quite proud of that.

Daffy

njee20 – Member
    87 miles with a mere 550ft of climbing
    Is that even possible!?

Not on my route, I do double that within the first 5 miles!

Daffy

One day sunshine. One day.

Original question though. I’m very slow.

I’m not sure i’d even make that distance!

Daffy

wilburt – Member
    There some quick riders on here, 19/20mph average will put you firmly in the fast group of most clubs.

Yeah, but only for the first 10-15 miles, then we’d all die.

There’s fast, and fast over a known distance.

radoggair
    Free Member

love this sort of sh*t.

For those who say they can ride at X mph over X miles, just enter a race, not a flat one though, then go off the front straight away and see how you get on.

If you can average over 20mph for at least 20 miles then your pretty decent on the bike( as long as its got some hills in it)

molgrips
    Free Member

When I had an 18 mile commute in Germany, it started in suburban land with a few junctions and lights, then was mostly dead flat with un-traffic-lit junctions then a hill at the end. I was quite fit by the time I left, my best effort was 33.6kph average. In order to do this I had to catch all the lights, not stop at any junctions and sustain about 40kph on the flat!

cchris2lou

yep some impressive numbers .

i follow a few pros on strava , and even if they dont put all their training on strava , some of their rides are a lot slower than people on here .

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Not on my route, I do double that within the first 5 miles!

id move, at least up the hill a bit

as long as its got some hills in it

whats “some” hills?

brian toonen on strava does about 5000m a day,

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah – also did my house to my then work in central Bristol in 2h04, distance of 42 miles. Undulating but not flat – got slightly over 20mph. That was a proper hard effort.

I think those are the only two occasions I’ve averaged over 20mph for any distance. It’s a tough target for average speed.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

some of their rides are a lot slower than people on here

all about that base that base, no treble

samuri
    Free Member

Also done a 210miler with reggiegasket off here and averaged 16.5mph. Quite proud of that.

Nice, I expect most of that was on road and everything, which is OK, I guess. Just to be clear, mine was mostly offroad and that, you know. 😉

DT78
    Free Member

I’ll join in…usual pace is around 17 – 18 mph. Most of my rides I’d regard as flat but windy circuits. Fastest I’ve covered 50 miles was averaging. 19.9mph. Fastest century was mid 17s. Did my first century of this season 2 weeks ago, 16.6mph 3400ft climbing but with evil headwinds. I’ll usually be into the 20s on 2hr or less flat runs, depending on the wind.

Those are all solo rides.

Don’t race road but plan to take TT a bit more serious this year.

Edric64
    Free Member

About 14 to 15 mph on a ride unless its Audax then its 12 to 13 as I dont do fast .but time trialling when it matters as fast as I can go ,about 26 average

molgrips
    Free Member

By contrast, did 118km on Sunday, first time in years, clocked 26.8kph moving time. And I’m still battered 🙂

scotroutes

15-17mph on a decent ride on mixed roads.
    12mph is my “touring” speed.
    I managed 19.2mph on the 84(?) mile Etape Caledonia a couple of years back. That has c 2,000ft of climbing.

LS
    Free Member

I love these threads 😆
    Loads of people comparing the incomparable – my last road ride was 15.5mph but then I won a race two days later. This coming Sunday I’ll average about 12mph but I’ve done 100 at over 26 and 50 at over 27, solo. That all means nothing in isolation – I’m still a shedload slower than an awful lot of people.

Just ride it, folks!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Roadies whats your average speed?’ is closed to new replies.