• This topic has 38 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Roadies: toe covers?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Are these any good?

It’s not cold enough for full overshoes but my mesh road shoes leave my feet like ice blocks after an hour.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes,I think they’re great for exactly the situation you describe.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t bother with toe covers. I’m wearing these Lusso Windex overshoes a lot just now. I know it says thermal but they aren’t really that warm and the windex portion is just over the toe and forefoot so very breathable. Also they have Velcro all the way up the up the back so they are really easy to get on and off. In fact that’s a damn good price so I might bag myself another pair.

rocket
    Free Member

Yep, I use the toe covers. They’re cheap (<£10) and make a big difference this time of year IMO

Rorschach
    Free Member

I use oversocks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

UOTD are you speaking from experience re covers?

jonba
    Free Member

I find oversocks work well as my shoes are also not designed for the british climate. Just enough extra wind proof and warmth to keep my feet warm. Dirt cheap as well – but then I destroy a pair each year.

lunge

Yep, I like toe covers a lot, they tend to live in my shoes from October to April as they add a bit of extra earth to overshoes as well.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mine would off if wet. I’d not bother again, and just use over socks. And they keep your shoes clean.

fatyowls
    Free Member

I can see the point of them, sometimes shoe socks are good too. As mentioned above keep your shoes clean.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Toe covers are ace!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Yup I like my toe covers for this time of year. I’ve got over socks but reach for my toe covers on days like today.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I have no experience of toe covers but just prefer to slip an oversock on. Prendas have the best price/socks I’ve found yet.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Had mine on last weekend …..glad I did on a long ride

bikebouy
    Free Member

TopTip…

Wrap a small piece of foil (ali baking foil) around the tip of your toes folding it over and covering back to your instep but Over your socks. Slip your foot into your shoes and the foil acts as both wind deflector and heat retention. Don’t use a plastic bag though and when using foil don’t over tighten it, tighten it just enough so that it stays on as you slip your foot into your shoes.

I never use toe covers over my shoes, use the foil method occasionally, but use overstocks (Belgian Booties) a lot though during colder but not proper cold where I use overshoes .

t_i_m
    Free Member

Just put some decent duct tape over the mesh at the front of the shoes for the winter months.

Haze

Recently discovered oversocks, fill the void between winter overshoes and summer perfectly.

Keeps the grit out of your nice BOA buckles too…

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Toe covers this time of year are brilliant for commuting. Have them on in the morning and then remove them for the afternoon, the are light and hardly take up any room in bags.

jonba
    Free Member

Just put some decent duct tape over the mesh at the front of the shoes for the winter months.

On a £150 pair of white, carbon soled disco slipper? Are you mad?

I tend to revert to my winter/cx bike in cold weather for which I have proper shoes with no vents. Kind of wish Shimano would produce some road shoes for the UK market. In the same way you have the XC50N which just has solid fabric not vents I’d like the R171N. Up in Newcastle the problem of overheating feet is not something I experience regularly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve done the plastic bag over the socks trick before which worked OK.

toe covers seem better than that or foil and oversocks are just old-school-roadie WRONG! 😛

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh well you see I am old skool cos’ it’s cool 😆

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, toe covers are ace as a sort of half-way house between full overshoes and full shoe nudity, they also look a lot better worn with three-quarters than full overshoes do. If your road shoes have loads of mesh at the toe end, which a lot of them do, they’re a neat, effective solution. I like the Mavic ones but they’re are plenty of others out there. Useless in heavy rain obviously, but kind of the 3/4 equivalent for shoes ime, ymmv etc.

moonwrasse
    Free Member

Wigge DHB toe covers are the best ones I have used. Bargain at 9 quid. Been using these for the past couple of years. Not worn my over shoes since starting to use toe covers, Had Casteli ones first but they fell apart quickly.

brakes
    Free Member

I had the Castelli neoprene ones – they were cheap and good for a while but didn’t last very long.
    they ultimately disintegrated when I used them off road.
    I really don’t like the full booty/ oversock look unless it’s proper raining.
    Plastic bags over socks feels horrible and slippy. I like the sounds of the foil idea though, will try that.

benp1

So which one toe covers do people recommend? (wiggle recommendation above noted)

mrblobby
    Free Member

I vote oversocks. DeFeet are nice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oversocks must get sodden and cold in the wet?

mrblobby
    Free Member

They do. Use overshoes when it’s wet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So toe covers better for a ride that starts dry but might get a bit wet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If it might get a bit wet I go overshoes.

BadlyWiredDog

So toe covers better for a ride that starts dry but might get a bit wet.

Not really, mostly they just give you a bit of extra wind protection, I’d use overshoes from the off if I thought it was going to rain. It’s just a neat way of covering the mesh panels at the front of most road-shoes, but make bugger all difference in the wet.

lunge

The Castelli jobs are good and last ok on the road, they’ve not got an overly protected tow area so if you put your foot down on the commute a lot they’ll wear quickly. Planet-X jobs are not as warm but harder wearing IME.

cynic-al
    Free Member

make bugger all difference in the wet.

Even the endura waterproof ones?

oldgit
    Free Member

Lycra Belgian booties work a treat in the wet. Renner ones have been good.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Lomo watersports do some decent neoprene toe covers
    http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/neoprene-cycling-toe-covers.html

BadlyWiredDog

Even the endura waterproof ones?

Better than naked, ventilated shoes I’d guess, not as good as full waterproof overshoes, though it’s going to depend on where the mesh panels are in your shoes – if they’re are open areas behind the are covered by the toe-covers. All pretty much as you’d expect really. It’s a bit like wearing a waterproof hat and a non waterproof jacket, your head will stay dry, but the rest of you won’t… 😉

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I ordered some velotoez from nopinz for the moist TT events. Arrived today. Basically a thick latex oversock that seals well around the calf. If your shoes don’t have those stupid sole vents then these have got to be the most waterproof oversocks yet. http://www.nopinz.com/product/velotoze-tall-shoe-covers/

Sam

Not a big fan of toe covers, I like defeet oversocks for when overshoes are a bit full on. A plastic bag between shoe and oversock helps provide a bit of extra wind and water resistance for the toes if necessary.

D0NK

I’ve got some planet x ones, bung em in my pocket or ‘bak if it’s warm but might get chilly, I’ve had the ice cold feet when temp drops thing on a big evening ride, wasn’t nice. Did use them this week for a morning commute. Good thing to have in the wardrobe but just after I got them I bought some none vented shoes which are great in a wide range of conditions, so those for changeable, overshoes for rain.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Roadies: toe covers?’ is closed to new replies.