Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Roadies taking over the asylum?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

What’s going on here. Loads of folk getting road bikes, lots of talk about lost mojo, fed up with wet summers and dirty winters.

That’ll explain why when I took members of my road club out for a three hour blast around Woburn and the only people I saw out today taking advantage of the great conditions were;
    A squad from Twenty3c and two groups from Team MK and Team Corleys. All roadies keeping the training going and having a blast.

What is going on?

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Loads of folk getting road bikes, lots of talk about lost mojo, fed up with wet summers and dirty winters.

Reckon that’ll be it. That’s partly why I’ve just ordered a road bike.
    It’s all still cycling though, innit?

meehaja
    Free Member

yup.

scaredypants

keeping the training going

and, for that reason, I’m out

_tom_
    Free Member

Reckon that’ll be it.

That’s sort of it for me as well. Not really the lost mojo part but I don’t enjoy riding on bridleways and don’t live near any good trails.. but I like to get out on my bike every day if possible so a road bike makes sense. The minimal faff is nice as well.

binners

I succumbed and bought a road bike. It was rubbish! I nearly died of boredom! I just don’t get the appeal at all!

So I sold it and bought myself a new hardtail! Getting muddy is brill!!! In fact I’m just about to go and clean the other nights filth off it! Some people need to just MTFU!!!! 😉

banks
    Free Member

With binners here, nothing worse than a road ride, beyond dull. Very dull. Really dull.

Easier to clean me mtb than me road bike after picking up all the grime from the road too, don’t know where thats come from

ffs, most of us ride bikes for fun, if the weathers crap we’ll find something else to do & there’s more to life than riding/training etc

oldgit
    Free Member

That’ll explain why when I took members of my road club out for a three hour blast around Woburn and the only people I saw out today taking advantage of the great conditions were;
    A squad from Twenty3c and two groups from Team MK and Team Corleys. All roadies keeping the training going and having a blast.

I do mean we were and all the roadies were off road. The retro boys would have spaffed at all the ancient bikes that were out today, never seen so many V brakes in one place for ages.

oldgit
    Free Member

ffs, most of us ride bikes for fun, if the weathers crap we’ll find something else to do & there’s more to life than riding/training etc

Come again 😉

roverpig

I’ve gone the other way. After around 15 years when I only rode on the road I pulled a dusty old (rigid steel) MTB out of the shed last February, hit a local forest track, loved it and haven’t touched the road bikes all year, during which time I’ve bought/built two MTBs and ridden a couple of times most weeks. I’ve even started selling some of my surplus road stuff. Guess I’m just counter-cyclical.

oldgit
    Free Member

So I sold it and bought myself a new hardtail! Getting muddy is brill!!! In fact I’m just about to go and clean the other nights filth off it! Some people need to just MTFU!!!!

Off road conditions have been briiant foe a good while now. I’ve had to spend some time getting the hardtail ship shape to make the most of it.
    If my cross race is off tomorrow I might do the short course Harp Hilly on the MTB.

stufive
    Free Member

I love both best of both worlds imo

oldgit
    Free Member

^ indeedy doody.

maxtorque

I reckon it’s just because the Roadies are more organised and structured! The are used to doing events and training sesions, whereas MTBist seem to be a bit more singular, in small groups, where if one party drops out, then it’s real easy to just say “nah, i don’t fancy it either” if there’s only a couple of you going?

crazy-legs

Think I rode my MTB 4, maybe 5 times in 2012… 😳

Mostly road, CX and track for me at the moment.

jonba
    Free Member

Dunno, I’ve ridden road bikes for years. But this forum is full of answers from a generally mtb perspective. So if you are a mtber looking to get a road bike, here is better than a dedicated road forum.

Wet, I can handle on or off road. But cold and especially zero or below is definitely better off road. Most of my road riding is done in summer and I generally do a lot more off road in winter.

kerv
    Free Member

I was out on the mtb yesterday in the snow and will be riding round Brickhill (or Woburn if you prefer) woods again tomorrow, I do own a road bike but it aint a patch on mountain biking.

MrOvershoot

Probably 50/50 this year for me, but the state of any trails round here means most of my riding kit is falling apart from the sandstone grit wearing the stitching out!!

Don’t know why but I’ve lost a lot of motivation this year, started road racing back in 1979 & then slipped into MTB in late 80’s.

Enjoy tinkering with bikes almost more than riding at the moment, I guess the weather has a fair bit to answer for as I remember being really motivated in 2003 & 2006 in really hot summers?

TiRed

60 miles on my fixed road bike this AM. Saw a few othher clubs out. But when the SS insurance replacement arrives, I’ll be back off-road. I love the snow and am missing it.

oldgit
    Free Member

Kerv it was great over there today. The snow is still soft, if it freezes over it’ll be a bugger.
    See what happens overnight, might try Ashridge.

composite
    Free Member

Not mojo here either but months of not having a single local route that didn’t have a hike-a-bike section due to mud combined with hosing myself down and bucket washing 2-3 times has become pretty tiresome. I would still rather do that than no riding at all but at least if I get a road bike as kind of planned then it gives me some variation and will mean I can get out riding with dad before he gets to old.

banks
    Free Member

Ah apologies if you were on mtb, all is forgiven!
    pics of said retro bikes?

Good point with roadies being more organised & strict but most I know ride for a gain, target, time or event. Seldom it seems that many just go for a ride & see where they might end up

That and cycling seems to be the main hobby or with little else on the side whereas with the mtb folk there’s other main hobbies/obsessions

Kuco

Out on the mountain bike this morning at 7:30am across the local bridalways. Great fun in the snow 😀

composite
    Free Member

I meant “bucket washing 2-3 times A WEEK has become pretty tiresome”.

2-3 times altogether would be pretty pathetic. 😆

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Taking over? I’ve been here for years!

carbon337
    Free Member

There are very few decent roady forums. STW is one of the best these days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have one as I got it cheap (road bike that is) used to ride to work and when I didn’t want to go out on the trails by myself. Had it in mind to do some mega training on it. Didn’t get much use in bad weather thats what the mountain bike is for.
    Generally I don’t get the slopping round in muddy trails thing thats when we would hit the rocky trails.

Now over in Oz most riders have both, I use it for something different and to get longer rides in as the local trails are all short. Now i’m broken and its sat in the (new) turbo trainer keeping the belly away.

No loss of mojo, no running to the dark side just enjoying bikes.

fasthaggis

Exactly Mr carbon ,stw is a safe ,fluffy bunny of a site, where the road bike curious MTBers can have their questions answered. 😀

ransos
    Free Member

Road riding is great – almost as good as mtbing.

flap_jack
    Free Member

My permit arrived yesterday, staring at me all today making me feel guilty. Unfortunately too much else to do 🙁

RoterStern
    Free Member

I get bored doing one kind of riding. For me it’s all riding a bike. In the deepest winter I tend to stay on the MTB as the higher speeds on the road increase the wind chill effect.

oldgit
    Free Member

Oh dear all my clubs roadies loved it so much yesterday, we’re out on the MTBs again today.
    Just wait til the snow on the ground freezes, that’ll take the smile off their faces.

On a serious note….sorry 😕 some of the guys stats show that a 10mph average off road ride is just a good a work out or better than a steady endurance pace road ride. So backs up what I’ve been telling the guys, well worth having a bog standard MTB in your collection for weeks like these. Sadly a few just won’t have anything to do with MTBs, so I guess they’ll have to sit at home while we get some great off road riding in 😀

racefaceec90

i recently got a carbon road bike (have wanted a road bike for 20 odd years tbh).

i love it (am not giving up mountain biking though 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Building a fixed/free tourer, wish that was ready to go right now.

Mikey65
    Free Member

MTB-Road-It’s all good and sometimes it is nice to swing the other way…..Guess that makes me a Bi-Cyclist 😀

flap_jack
    Free Member

ust wait til the snow on the ground freezes, that’ll take the smile off their faces.

When the snow freezes is when it’s best IMO ! MK redways loads of fun at the moment.

vala
    Free Member

ust wait til the snow on the ground freezes, that’ll take the smile off their faces.
    When the snow freezes is when it’s best IMO ! MK redways loads of fun at the moment.

+1!

manton69

Oldgit – the workout in terms of effort can be similar, but there is a lot of core stability that goes in to off road stuff especially if it is muddy/slippy/icy, etc. That is why it makes a good all round session, whereas a road session tends to concentrate on the legs a lot more. I know there are exceptions, but I am limited to my turbo at the moment (dislocated kneecap) dreaming of just getting out.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Sadly a few just won’t have anything to do with MTBs

IIRC you just need to call it ‘Roughstuff’. Roadies don’t mind that.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I seem to have given up both at the moment and just run or race cx.

Cold and wet runs take an hour and leave me as knackered as 3 hours on the road bike and i dont get cold feet or hands.
    Training with a running club makes it a solid date in the diary too.

Rode my mtb a couple of times last year as i mostly rode on the road but going to try getting back on it a bit more this year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Roadies taking over the asylum?’ is closed to new replies.