Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roadies – Converting from 9sp to 10sp
  • alanbill99

Probably been asked a million times, but am upgrading from 9sp to 10 and wondered if I need just shifters and cassette or whether I need front and rear mechs. I’ve already got a 10sp chain.
    Cheers

Do you want to sell your 9speed stuff?

alanbill99

Maybe – lets see what the replies to this thread say !!

njee20
    Free Member

Depends which groupsets. 105 5700, Ultegra 6700 and Dura Ace 7900 have different cable pulls on both mechs (the rear is the same as MTB 10 speed), other 10 speed groups (5600, 6600 and 7800) are 9/10 compatible on both.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Is it Campag stuff? If so then all you need to do is get a 10 spd ratchet fitted in the RH shifter and fit a new cassette and chain.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I’m using an old short cage XT rear mech on my 105 10spd bike. with an XTR front

You can get a lot of kit to work properly together, but Shimano will always say it don’t work.
    You will definitely need shifters and cassette, but you knew that 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Can I ask why? You may have good reasons and all that, but I’ve found 10 speed a total waste of time. Came on the new bike, so wasn’t a choice one way or the other, but I never, really NEVER have changed one gear at a time. On the 10 speed I’m always shifting 2 or more cogs every time.
    Can’t see the benefit of it meself!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Why stop at 10? Campag goes to up to 11 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Where will it end?

“NEW for 2020! 20 speed!”

alanbill99

Left shifters bust, so am just weighing up the cost options. It’ll be £100+ for 9sp and £200+ for 10 sp Shimano.
    Cheers for the help anyway !

GJP
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Can I ask why? You may have good reasons and all that, but I’ve found 10 speed a total waste of time. Came on the new bike, so wasn’t a choice one way or the other, but I never, really NEVER have changed one gear at a time. On the 10 speed I’m always shifting 2 or more cogs every time.
    Can’t see the benefit of it meself!

I think I felt like this for the first few rides especially when moving to a lower gear, but soon came to love the closer ratios.

jimc101
    Free Member

Your left shifter is for the front mech, would look for one of these on e-bay. If changing from 9-10, it gets expensive very quickly, cheapest would probably to get a full 105 /5600 groupset from Merlin @ £360 for the STI, rear mech, chainset & chain, and sell the rest if not needed (Brakes & Front mech). with any road kit upgrade, the STI is normally the most expensive part.

Not sure where you will get your 9sp for £100, as 9spd Tiagra STI’s go for £130, but have seen this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-DuraAce-Left-hand-only-STI-/260738136634?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3cb5343a3a

alanbill99

That’s good advice Jim C – so much so, I’m bidding on that left hand only one now !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – Converting from 9sp to 10sp’ is closed to new replies.