• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Roadies: Any thoughts on the Clement Strada LGG?
  • SaxonRider

My aesthetic interest in tyres leads me to want skinwalls, but my interest in a tyre exhibiting all the qualities I want is at least as high.

In this respect, I currently run Conti GP 4000s, but will be looking to replace them soon, and want a tyre that is

1) fast rolling
    2) good in corners
    3) confident in the wet
    4) fairly durable

Is there a skinwall that ticks all of these boxes at around the £50/tyre mark or less? Or should I forego the skinwalls and stick with the GP 4000s, which seem to meet all of the above criteria?

I should add that I could probably accept if some reasonable compromises were made.

What about Clement Strada LGGs? I suspect that they’re not going to be as fast as the higher price-point tyres, but reviews talk about their robustness and their general all-roundedness.

Any thoughts?

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m not a roadie, but I’ve just fitted a pair to my CX bike. Only done one ride so far, 100 miles road with a bit of track, ran them at 60psi, they rolled well, comfy with the volume. Mine are black and as round as a circle.

plus-one

Veloflex master is one to consider .. They tick all your boxes(maybe not quite as long lasting) but can be had around £28 each

Roll beautifully and very grippy in all conditions:)

Bregante

I’m really happy with my Vittoria Corsa G+ although I’ve just had to replace the rear after just shy of 2000 miles as it started to cut up quite easily (prior to this I didn’t have a single puncture on them) They’re a bit lighter in colour than most skin walls but I quite like that. And they roll and grip superbly.

Gratuitous pic

eddie11
    Free Member

Veloflex master are sooo supple, fast and grip forever. Not in anyway long lasting though. Clement tyres generally are very good. Used a few of their cross tyrescanf tubs. Another vote for the new corsas. Impressed so far.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Challenge Strada Bianca, Paris Roubaix or Strada perhaps?

Look for the proper Pro/Race spec open tubular versions, but I suspect they’ll be just beyond budget. The lower priced ones have a single puncture belt, rather than double, and a lower thread count.

The shiny ones are lush. Really supple, fast handling and great grip. Plus….yum!

lunge

My experience is that the high end skin walls generally grip well, roll fast but don’t last long.
    Veloflex Masters, Vittoria G+, Spec Turbo cotton all fall into this.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lunge, those are all quite ‘race’ styled tyres, especially the Turbo Cottons.

Something like a SB or PR as above, or the new Hell of the North Turbo Cottons (much yum) tend to be more durable. Not as fast by a little, but if you’re not racing…..

Also, given the state of the roads around my way, 30mm is very welcome!

bentleywood

I found them to be about as quick but more prone to puncturing than my current conti four seasons. They also seemed to pick up more small tears etc but I did over 2000 miles on a pair and had no real complaints. The contis are better though.

plus-one

[url=https://flic.kr/p/U63GXy]IMG_0324[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Skinwalls rock 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Skinwalls rock

Indeed they do!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I rode Bontrager R4’s last year, nice tyre very similar to the Vittoria.

Don’t Conti make a classic version of the GP in skinwall?

I’ve challange CX and wide road tyres and they are lovely.

SaxonRider

Don’t Conti make a classic version of the GP in skinwall?

If the skinwall was lighter on the classic GP, I would buy them in a flash. As it is, though, the skinwall is quite a dark brown, and hardly stands out from the black. I know it’s all a bit superficial, but I really don’t think that’s what I want for my bike.

schmiken

I use Challenge Paris Roubaix on my commuting /training bike. Fast, comfy and decently durable so far.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been using Clem Strava LGG 25 skin walls for years. Best tyres ever.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

How do they size up? Are they a big or small 25?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The old tubular skinwalls look good on a shallow profile rim on an old racing bike. They were a low volume tyre though.

Alot of these new skinwall tyres are high volume and the skinwall is too big and looks bloody dreadful, especially on a gravel bike or MTB.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Big or small 25’s?
    Erm, 110psi front 115psi rear fit my R5ca perfectly on MavM40c’s.
    Better get another opinion on your bike clearances..

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

A lot difference in various brands way of sizing, that’s all, I’ve had 25’s from one make come up smaller then a 23s from another. Just asking your experience,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

difference in various brands way of sizing

Rim shape is important, too.

crosshair
    Free Member

Shiny walled GP’s perhaps?

I think these 28’s look ok…

TiRed

Corsa G+ in 25c are excellent. They don’t stay that colour for long though. Fast rolling, good in the wet. I run the grey ones on the race bike and skinwalls on the nice bike.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Roadies: Any thoughts on the Clement Strada LGG?’ is closed to new replies.