Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Roadies…
  • brooess
    Free Member

People are amazingly tribal aren’t they?

clubber
    Free Member

Tsk. Typical mtber 🙄

😉

bencooper
    Free Member

People are amazingly tribal aren’t they?

Well, yes. But if you don’t think there’s something funny about a grown man in lycra, there’s something wrong with you.

Edric64
    Free Member

Whats wrong with lycra ? Are you a baggies at all times rider ?

bencooper
    Free Member

Are you a baggies at all times rider ?

Yup. Well, jeans, shorts, sandals, whatever I happen to be wearing.

You find nothing at all amusing in the sight of a slightly tubby person* in skin-tight fabric?

*because everyone looks tubby in lycra.

wwaswas

My duaghter has always laughed if I don’t wear baggies over my lycra shorts. If kids laugh at you there’s something inherently funny, imo.

She’s older now so I just threaten to pick her up from school dressed like it and she goes all quiet.

bencooper
    Free Member

She’s older now so I just threaten to pick her up from school dressed like it and she goes all quiet.

Woke up this morning, daughter turned to me and said “Oh, daddy, go put a shirt on”. She’s 3.

binners

Any bloke, other than a professional athlete, who thinks its acceptable to leave the house dressed only in lycra needs to take a long hard look at themselves. So we don’t have to! Its clear that some cyclists are as deluded as a first round X factor contestant, as to how they actually look. In your mind – Brad. The reality – sex offender

Frankly, it should be an arrestable offense.

samuri
    Free Member

Just cycling gear is laughable.
    I went to our new house on the way home from work the other day. I’m stood there in normal cycling clothes (baggies, SPD shoes that look relatively normal, baggyish lycra top, courier bag), and the plasterers just stared at my clothes when I was talking to them. Eventually one of them asked me if I was going straight to a race from the house.

edit: AND, I was leaving work the other day and the HR director walked out in front of me. Seeing someone behind her she looked round (she knows me really well) and just stared at my lycra-clad chest,. Never ever looked at my face.

Errm, I’m up here love.

It feels disgusting to be treated like a piece of meat.

dazh

Thinking about it I could do with a mirror to save me having to keep checking where they are. Some of them die without any notificiation although I can usually hear them going through the gears once their legs explode.

If you look back to check where they are the game is up and you can’t maintain the pretence that you’re not racing. There are other ways however. Using reflections in the windows of buildings is one, as is taking a quick peek when changing lanes under the guise of checking for traffic, or using shadows on the road. Or you can be completely blatant about it, ride alongside them for a bit (a cheery hello and/or wave is optional here), then sprint off when you’ve a clear road ahead 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    Sometimes I do a wee burst of speed just before I pass so I can do it freewheeling

😆

You need a colourful drink with an umbrella in it to quaff as you waft past.

Edric64
    Free Member

So im not allowed to wear my skinsuit in timetrials then ?

binners

Are you a professional athlete? Are you taking part in an organised competitive event?

If so… just about permissable

riding to work? NO!!!! NO!!!!! NO!!!!!! JUST NO!!!!

brooess
    Free Member

Cycling gear being ‘different’ is all part of the identity… it’s half the point

mattjg
    Free Member

There were a couple of roadies bimbling along the A24 in Dorking the other day, one actually had a yellow jersey on. Fittingly however, he was in front.

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, I ride to work in lycra, in fact I ride just about everywhere in lycra. I did try baggies a few months ago, they were ridiculously annoying. Utterly pointless.

As observed, you look stupid anyway, you may as well wear the most functional stupid stuff.

I did wave at an mtber though. Actually, no, I gave him a nod as I was breathing through my ears at the time. Muppet probably didn’t even notice.

I said hello to several people riding BSOs this morning, whilst riding a road bike in full lycra. Do I deserve an award?

warton
    Free Member

Are you a professional athlete? Are you taking part in an organised competitive event?

If so… just about permissable

I ride to work in lycra, I ride 100 milers in lycra, I race in lycra.

It’s comfortable, I couldn’t give a toss that you don’t like it.

mickolas
    Free Member

lycra good. whingers bad.

fasthaggis

This thread is all because a roadie once stepped in front of Binners at Greggs and bought the last sausage roll.
    No other reason 🙂

Although,TBF there hasn’t been a lycra V baggies thread for ages 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I wear my lycra over my baggies – it’s what all the Dalstonista are doing.

binners

As observed, you look stupid anyway, you may as well wear the most functional stupid stuff.

A good point, well put!

This thread is all because a roadie once stepped in front of Binners at Greggs and bought the last sausage roll.
    No other reason

Curses! I didn’t think there were witnesses to that!

tonyd

I commute in lycra, particularly when it’s this hot. When it’s cooler I’ll wear some close fitting waterproof shorts. I know I look ridiculous but I don’t really care that much. It would be nice if the receptionists wouldn’t laugh so much or so blatantly when I arrive at work though.

At half a mile from home (17.5 mile commute) the other evening I passed a guy on a Brompton in full lycra. I said hello as I passed, he said something back (which I assume was hello) and then accelerated and tried to sit on my wheel! I was slightly bemused and then sped up a bit but had some trouble dropping him!

In my defence his kit looked like it had seen better days so he must be a regular rider, and he was only about a mile from the train station.

Any Brompton riders on here don full lycra for a 1 mile ride from the station?

fasthaggis

Brakes earlier

Thanks to kimbers for posting this last year 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@globalti

I bet he rides alot faster away from Skem.

and you’d think he’d be a bit more covert these days. (maybe like riding a 5in full susser on big tyres into preston in a boiler suit)

Back to business:- i ride in lycra on the road bike and sometimes on the mountain bike and i look awesome – like michaelangelo’s david but with kecks on. Everyone else looks a bell end.

eXCEPT THE BLOKE IN FASTHAGGIS’ POST – THAT’S THE FUTURE, WE’LL ALL BE IN THAT, IT’S THE NEW 650B

brakes
    Free Member

not me, I wouldn’t be seen dead in those glasses

GrahamS

Any bloke, other than a professional athlete, who thinks its acceptable to leave the house dressed only in lycra needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

*yawn*

I wore lycra bib shorts and a dakine jersey on the commute today – don’t know if you noticed, but it is chuffing hot outside at the moment so I didn’t fancy my usual baggies over lycra option.

Likewise if it is peeing down with rain then lycra is a good option as the baggies get all wet and flappy.

I know it’s not a flattering look. My 3 year old openly points and laughs at me.

But y’know.. so what? The helmet, gloves and shoes aren’t a great look either. Neither is being muddy, out of breath, wet or sweaty.

If you want to ride about in normal casual clothes, and only in good weather, at walking pace, then go buy some ironic glasses you don’t need, put on your sister’s jeans and get your fixie out. 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I[/video]

mickolas
    Free Member

IME women laugh at men in lycra to hide their excitement. Men laugh at other men in lycra to hide their jealousy.

In neither case is it necessarily that you look ‘so good’ in your cycling gear (you may look podgy and awful like the rest of us), but that you have the confidence lacking in other men to go out in skin-tight clothing.

Maybe….

mickolas
    Free Member

children point and laugh for the same reasons as I snigger at fat chavs in leggings stretched to translucency.

zilog6128

Any bloke, other than a professional athlete, who thinks its acceptable to leave the house dressed only in lycra needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Quite right. I’d much rather watch a overweight man stuffing Greggs’ finest into his gob (talking loudly and spraying bits of pastry at the same time of course) as he waddles down the High Street because he can’t possibly go more than 20 minutes without eating.

tonyd

I like your thinking mickolas and shall point this out to the girls on reception on Monday when they’re howling with laughter, again.

Haze

Moaning about blokes in Lycra says more about the gaybo doing the moaning…

GrahamS

Easy on the casual homophobia there Haze. 😕

binners

Au contraire. I’d say that making defensive noises about men in lycra would suggest a state of denial about certain ‘issues’ there fella 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Easy on the casual homophobia there Haze.

Uh-Oh. I sense a derailment.

Anyway. Isn’t Gaybo a fabulous martial art?

boblo
    Free Member

When did Jamie come back? G4S let you out then? 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

It seems like the combination of the weather and the crc sale has brought ’em all out in force. This mornings commute, which normally only sees the odd fellow cyclist, was instead a sea of badly fitting storm trooper fancy dress, and gleaming, never-seen-a mountain, overweight mid-life-crisis, full sussers.

I hope it stops equally as quickly as it started. There’s nothing more unpleasant of a morning, than having to repeatedly overtake them as they wobble around carrying sufficient gear to survive a near apocolypse whilst cycling down the down the high st to the local woods. Bleeuuuurgh!

There is some consolation I suppose. Smiling and nodding enthusiastically at the ones heading the other way. To be studiously ignored with that fixed-straight-ahead, oh-so-serious, totally joyless “cant you see Iam serious” look on the faces. Like they’re not extracting a single molicule of enjoyment out of the whole experience.

Please make it stop! The sooner golf is the new golf, the better IMHO

There you go..as if there arent enough groups for cyclists to fall out with we need to practice on ourselves.

wwaswas

For balance: I did a road ride at lunchtime , just an hour, some bloke overtook me on a hill (obviously) but I caught up when he was freewheeling down and we rode together for a mile to two chatting.

brakes
    Free Member

did you hold hands?

wwaswas

did you hold hands?

no, just admired each others lycra.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Roadies…’ is closed to new replies.