Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Roadie/CX/Gravel Pump: Frame fit or tiny weenie jersey pocket type?
  • BillOddie

What are people using?

Don’t like having pumps covered in filth as it causes them to let you down when you need them.

Can’t decide between “old fashioned” frame fit pumps and something tiny but usable that would fit in a jersey pocket.

Needs to be able to get a 700×35 or 40 tyre up to 60 psi or so.

jamiep
    Free Member

I am most people at my roadie club have Lezyne Pressure Drive

core

I have a boardman mini pump of some description, comes with a frame bracket, but also fits into any of my jersey pockets.

Like this: eBay link

Works well, even for MTB tyres, and has decent seals so crap doesn’t get in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mountain Morph strapped to the frame

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I used to have a Pocket Rocket in my jersey pocket, but after using it a couple of times it nearly made my arm fall off just getting to the point where I could continue on a soggy-feeling tyre.

After that I replaced it with a longer one clipped to the frame on the down tube bottle cage, but, as BillOddie warns, I did end up having to call MrsSalmon for a rescue when I got a flat and found the pump had totally seized to the point where I couldn’t extend it*.

Now I have a Bontrager Air Support** in the same position, but I periodically take it off and give it a few strokes to make sure it’s still usable.

*It extended all right when it broke
    ** Really happy with it, only used it once in anger though

Dibbs
    Free Member

I carry a Blackburn Airstick 2 stage, I’ve used it a few times but it does take a lot of strokes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Giant Contact mounted on the seat tube.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Great big blackburn mounted on the frame for solo rides.

CO2 for club runs, because 90% of the time it saves everyone else having to hang around so long, and if I get through 2 cans in a ride then things are going badly and I doubt someone would begrudge lending a pump in that situation.

dknwhy

+1 for Lezyne Pressure Drive. I’ve had a couple of random micro pumps and now have Lezyne on all my bikes. The flexible hose makes life easier.

simon_g

Little pocket CO2 inflator/pump – nearest I can find now is like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-hybrid-co2-mini-pump-mtb/

Use CO2 normally, but with the backup of being able to manually pump even if you get really unlucky and run out.

iainc

Lezyne Pressure drive on frame here too, blends in 🙂

Daffy

Topeak Race Rocket (jersey pocket) for me. Has got me out of a tight spot when commuting on my 37s a few times. 50psi doesn’t take too long.

brassneck

Road Morph in my back pocket. Pad it out a bit and it doesn’t move as much as you might think.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

not in the jersey pocket – could cause a pretty nasty injury if you fall on it badly…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use two, one for the roadie, one for the CXer.

Ones a Specialized Micro Pump thats (ali body) pretty good at getting close to 100psi on the roadie, the CX’er one is a Top Peak thingy (plastic body) thats honestly pretty rubbish but does get to 60psi easily enough. Come to think of it I’ll change that now you’ve mentioned it (having used it 4 times on 4 separate punctures on Sunday..grrr..)

I’ve tried the CO2 but hate carrying around 2 of the canisters..

Saccades
    Free Member

+2 for Lezyne Pressure Drive – Indestructible and works – parts are easy to get too (when the kids start to play with it and lose the top cap).

Mines been on the commuter for the past 3 or 4 years and still works a treat.

kiwijohn

Little Lezyme when I’m running 33’s. Lezyme micro floor drive when I’m running the Surly Knard 41’s.

teasel
    Free Member

I am most people at my roadie club

That sounds totally normal and human and not in the least bit extraterrestrial.

mr_stru

I like Lezyne ones. Also, if you have a short pump and wrap it in a neoprene chain stay protector thing it keeps off the worst of the crap. Does mean it doesn’t fit in the wee clamp things so I use the clamp thing from a fatter pump that lives in the camelbak.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Roadie/CX/Gravel Pump: Frame fit or tiny weenie jersey pocket type?’ is closed to new replies.