Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Roadie Wheels
  • wors

Open pros built onto ultegra hubs £225
    Mavic cosmic elites £250
    Or any other recommendations around this price?

mrblobby
    Free Member

What for?

Have OpenPro on 105 with DT Comp spokes. A decent enough set of wheels for the price. Bit heavy maybe but pretty solid. I’d get them ahead of the mavic just based on a perception of spares (replacement spokes, hub bits etc.) Shimano hubs are cup and cone which put some off.

wors

Used for training and the odd few triathlons.

Klunk
    Free Member

Shimano Ultegra 6800, picked up a set from wiggle for £220 (sold out now) but can be found for about £250 outstanding wheel set with tubeless compatibility around 1640 grams. They are nicer than the ksyrium elite s (build wise) though a tad heavier much nicer look with proper qr’s

matt007
    Free Member

I’d second the 6800’s, light, comfy ride and nice looking too, look great with the rest of my 6800 groupo

rocco

Sorry to hijack but looking for a similar set of wheels. What about the superstar wheelset?

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/elite-24-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm

Are they really as bad as some reviews or have they improved? They look a great weight for the money

tomvet

I picked up a set of pacenti sl23 rims on superstar volta hubs, real world weight of 1.5 kg for £160. Seem well made, stiff and fast not sure about long term reliability but for the price it was worth a punt! Cartridge bearings and 11spd compatible to boot.

mboy
    Free Member

Campag Zonda’s/Fulcrum Racing 3’s are unbeatable for that sort of price (when they’re discounted). Otherwise, up the budget slightly and look at some RS81 C24’s, or the Novatec Jetfly’s.

Will have a very low milage set of Campag Eurus (Fulcrum Racing 1) 2 way fit’s for sale very soon as looking at changing to some Reynolds Assaults myself, if they were of any interest…

13thfloormonk

I’m in the market for stiffer wheels also, trying to find out if the C24s are considered ‘stiff’, by which I mean ‘13.5 stone rider out of the saddle on a climb’ stiff.

I’m fairly convinced that Fulcrums are stiff enough but I would prefer cup and cone bearings if I thought a shimano wheel were also stiff enough.

Can you build a wheel as stiff and light as these factory builds for the same money?

Kuco

I’ve got Shimano Ultegra 6800’s. Got mine through Wiggle and the front had to be re-trued straight out of the box but i’ll give Wiggle their credit for sorting it out quickly. Other than that they have been fine and running mine tubeless.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

rocco – Member
    Sorry to hijack but looking for a similar set of wheels. What about the superstar wheelset?

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/elite-24-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm

Are they really as bad as some reviews or have they improved? They look a great weight for the money

Unless you’re a child, they don’t have enough spokes.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m in the market for stiffer wheels also, trying to find out if the C24s are considered ‘stiff’, by which I mean ‘13.5 stone rider out of the saddle on a climb’ stiff.

C24’s are brilliant for lightweight guys with some finesse. They are not particularly stiff, in fact, at 13.5 stone I’d steer you clear of them myself…

I’m fairly convinced that Fulcrums are stiff enough but I would prefer cup and cone bearings if I thought a shimano wheel were also stiff enough.

My Campag Eurus (Fulcrum Racing 1’s) are easily the stiffest ally clincher wheelset I’ve ridden, bar none. And by some margin too! If you want stiff from an ally clincher, look no further (did I mention mine are for sale? 😉 )

Oh, and they’re cup and cone (only some cheaper Campag/Fulcrum wheels use cartridge bearings)…

Can you build a wheel as stiff and light as these factory builds for the same money?

As light? Yes, if you buy Sokin/Mr. Ride’s off ebay and lace into Stans Alpha 340’s… As stiff? Not a chance, not for less than 2kg anyway!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

H plus son archetype on light weight novatech hubs with endura bearing and DT db spokes are £255 from hand crafted wheels well worth a look for hand builds.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member

I have some of the RS80 C24s. I was 13 1/2 stone when I fitted them. I did around 3000 miles on them, toured on them with panniers and open tubs, climbed many hills, won a club hill climb competition on them and they’re still fine. Very good wheel.
    Has much changed between the 10 and 11 speed? I wouldn’t expect so.

ransos
    Free Member

Handbuilts every time. I have Open Pro CDs on Ambrosio Zenith hubs with DT rev spokes. £250 and sub 1600g. Tough as old boots, too.

dragon
    Free Member

Handbuilts every time.

For training quite possibly, but racing?

ransos
    Free Member

You’re more likely to crash racing so isn’t that a stronger argument for wheels that can be more easily repaired?

Not that I race, mind.

mrblobby
    Free Member

As light? Yes, if you buy Sokin/Mr. Ride’s off ebay and lace into Stans Alpha 340’s… As stiff? Not a chance, not for less than 2kg anyway!

So, serious question, why are factory built wheels considered stiffer? I can understand it with some of the really high end carbon bonded stuff, but most at that price point are just a hub, rim and some spokes.

Can’t see why not.

13thfloormonk

I guess that’s the question I was hinting at, how do you build in stiffness?

More spokes/hub design/rim design?

I just priced up dura ace 32h rear/ultegra 28h front, DT revs, archetype rims.

Builds up to 1600ish grames for £350 if I build myself. Not sure if they would build stiff though. Would consult a wheelbuilder but I guess that would add £100 to the price.

mboy, those are tempting, I’ll wait two months until I’m ready to buy and see if you still have them!

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Wors – if it helps, I’ve just been given some carbon wheels at a knock down price so have a set of ‘one ride old’ Ultegra 6800’s for sale. Come fitted with Bontrager R3 tyres, also one ride old. Drop me an email if you’re interested.

gringo

13thfloormonk – where have you found the 28h Ultegra front hub?

13thfloormonk

D’oh! Sorry Gringo, I didn’t even think to check, just assumed it would come 28 hole but wiggle only shows 32 or 36. Do Shimano not spec lower spoke count Ultegra?

13thfloormonk
    gringo

No unfortunately not, only 28h on the cx disc front hub it seems

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I bought dome Cero AR30 wheels from Cycle Division for £350, 1395grams.
    Lovely wheels with no weight limit – not that this is a problem as I’m 9.5 stone but for you chubsters out there.. 😛

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Wheels’ is closed to new replies.