Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roadie "what's it worth" thread… Sorry in advance!
  • mboy
    Free Member

Need/want more gear spread on my road bike (couple of VERY steep hills round this way) and 34/25 bottom just ain’t really enough, and fitting an MTB cassette would just give big ratio gaps.

So I’m toying wit swapping my 9spd Tiagra kit for 10spd.

It’s the last generation 4500 kit, full groupset with 170mm 34/50 cranks, 12-25 cassette, STI’s and mechs and a chain, and has all done only 500 or so miles from new…

What’s the whole groupset worth?

cynic-al
    Free Member

what’s a whole groupset?

I’d just search ebay, I doubt anyone here will be able to answer.

jonba
    Free Member

no idea but you can run a 32t mountain bike cassette on a long tiagra mech – at least I can.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

what’s a whole groupset?

Are you always difficult on purpose, or do you just try hard? By full groupset I mean everything is Tiagra, no deviations…

Jonba, big ratio gaps in an MTB cassette, not ideal for road use for me at least.

Thinking a triple may also be another option again, as the 39 would be ideal for most of my riding (rather than swapping between the 34 and 50 so often), and a 30/25 or 30/27 would be usefully lower bottom gear.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

what someone is prepared to pay, realistically £150 max, so is it worth more to you, you could put a new bb, triple ring, and cassette for that , a new group set going to cost way more– live and learn, my knees need a triple , so will be doing a similar thing on my Alan

cynic-al
    Free Member

my point was a groupset can mean different things (you’ve listed only the gear related stuff w/o hubs)

£150 seems cheap – sti usually cost £££

TomB

Am I missing something? Why not just get a 9 speed 12-28 cassette? My rides from here (Keswick) always involve one or more of the steep passes, I am a weakling and 34-28 gets me up the 25% bits relatively happy.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

hubs do not come with group sets- they are wheel parts, not gears or brakes,drivechain– £150 for second hand tiagra– mid range shimano, new for about £300, i like less strain on my ageing knees, so a triple with a 30 inside ring will be for me– nothing to do with ‘strength’ , i want to lessen the strain– maybe the OP is of the same mind

mboy
    Free Member

Am I missing something? Why not just get a 9 speed 12-28 cassette?

Yes

Firstly, there is no 12-28 9spd cassette that I’m aware of. There is a 12-27 which gives decent ratio gaps but still not as low as I’d like, and there is an 11-28 which gives too big ratio gaps, an 11T which is totally useless to me, and still doesn’t go as low as I’d like.

Basically, I can manage fine up any “normal” hills with the 34/25 bottom gear, but when you’re faced with a couple of climbs round this way, one of which averages 17% for nearly a mile and has parts of it quite a bit steeper than 25%, it is a bloody battle when you’re box fresh, but the 100 miler I’m doing in a few weeks goes up it when you’ve already got almost 70 miles in your legs!

Was thinking if my current Tiagra gear is worth close to £200, for the price Merlin are doing a full 10spd Tiagra setup (and you can get a nice 12-30 cassette with that!), it would make sense to upgrade… Certainly way more so than the price of a triple chainset, long cage rear mech, triple front mech and a new 9spd chain would cost.

Janesy
    Free Member

Struggle and get stronger?

cookeaa

Firstly, there is no 12-28 9spd cassette that I’m aware of. There is a 12-27 which gives decent ratio gaps but still not as low as I’d like, and there is an 11-28 which gives too big ratio gaps, an 11T which is totally useless to me, and still doesn’t go as low as I’d like.

Why not just stick the 12t from your 12-25 cassette on an 11-28 making it a 12-28? or just buy a 12-27 and MTFU, it’s only one less tooth, are you really going to notice?

but lets be frank here there’s probably very little wrong with your current drivetrain really; If you want to piss your money away on one extra cog just do it, there’s no need to fabricate shortcomings with your already adequate kit if you just like buying new stuff…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d just get a 12-27.

Ive had both a 27 and a 28 rear cog (currently running a 28) and both have got me over any of the steep hills I’ve ridden up. I cant really tell the difference between them.

I even used a 39-27 which still got me over the steep hills, just a little slower perhaps.

25% hills are never easy, whatever gears you’re using.

mboy
    Free Member

Why not just stick the 12t from your 12-25 cassette on an 11-28 making it a 12-28?

Cos then I’d have a 12-28 cassette with 2 12T cogs on it! Useful in case one of them wears out, but seeing as I’m not riding everywhere at 40mph I don’t think it’s that important to be honest…

or just buy a 12-27 and MTFU, it’s only one less tooth, are you really going to notice?

Pay attention, I was thinking about going for a 12-30 10spd cassette if I went for 10spd. Which essentially gives the same ratios as a 12-27 9spd but with the added 30T on the inside.

but lets be frank here there’s probably very little wrong with your current drivetrain really

There’s nothing wrong with it at all. Except for like most road bikes, the gear ratios are too tall to be of much use to most mortals. I mean, I run a 1×10 on my hardtail and manage fine everywhere, but even with 2 rings up front on the road bike I have to make do with a MUCH taller bottom gear. It’s not like there aren’t any steep roads in the world either!

Struggle and get stronger?

I can just about manage now when I’m relatively fresh. If I’ve already been in the saddle for 4 hours or more, I can see it being too much of a struggle. People expect stupidly low bottom gears on Mountain Bikes, I’m not even advocating anything like that here on a road bike, but just something closer to 1:1 would suffice.

tarquin
    Free Member

17% for nearly a mile is ruddy steep, can’t think of many roads like that, be a struggle to get up there in the car!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roadie "what's it worth" thread… Sorry in advance!’ is closed to new replies.