Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • roadie waterproof jacket? (money no object)
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have a Madison Premio, which gets good reviews, but it’s rubbish. Nice fit but isn’t waterproof or breathable, so basically no good at all!

What do you recommend? Needs to be really good, not just quite good. I don’t care about the price.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I like my Gore One, a lot.

scotroutes

Goretex Active Shell. Just find whichever one in the range has the best fit for you as they are made in a range of “widths”.

four
    Free Member
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve had an active shell and that wasn’t waterproof either. Unless there are different types of active shell.

everyone
    Free Member

Money no object?

Move to Spain, you won’t need one then.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

is the Rapha Winter fully waterproof four?

scotroutes

There are two versions of Active Shell. One is windproof only (Gore AS), one is waterproof (GoreTex AS).

qtip

7Mesh Oro. I can’t find fault with mine.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

thanks. I had the Gore As then.

Haze

Waterproof but not particularly breathable okay?

I bought a Castelli Emergency rain jacket, 4 hours in the rain a couple of weeks back and stayed bone dry. Not breathable but stayed pretty cool in the current temperatures anyway.

Kind of a posh rain cape if you like, but without the leaking after a long spell.

£120 from CRC, extra off with BC 10% code

titusrider
    Free Member

Rapha jackets are on sale. The pro team race cape is the proper waterproof but only as breathable as all the rest.

My recommendation is the pro team soft shell, I’ve been living in it all winter, tight aero fit, warm and waterproof enough.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have good softshells. It needs to be a definitely waterproof waterproof.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Anything made with GoreTex Active Shake Dry (gore 1985 for example but many other roadie clothing co.s are now using it) amazing stuff for road riding/running

tonyg2003

My Gore Active Shake dry 1985 is an amazing peice of kit. Best jacket I’ve had by far

tinribz
    Free Member

Waterproof breathable is just a line, Gortex is a label for for those with more money than sense.

Get a nice merino top and put a pac-a-mac in the back pocket.

anagallis_arvensis

Get a nice merino top and put a pac-a-mac in the back pocket.

This.

mooman
    Free Member

Gore Bike Wear Element for those days you start off in the rain – and don`t expect it to let up; fully waterproof … good fit, and as breathable as any fully waterproof jacket can be …

The packable single shell type capes are ok for emergencies. But don`t stay waterproof for long, and putting them back into rear pockets when they are wet never seems a good option to me.

If you intend riding in the rain … full waterproof best.
    To get caught in a shower on way home … single shell cape.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Castelli Idro made of Shake Dry. 150 quid in the sale at SigmaSport.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gore-one-vs-castelli-idro-rain-vs

TiRed

Mavic H2O. Fantastic jacket with good fit and full taped seams. Proper jackets don’t fold small. You need to roll them and put them under your jersey. But you can’t beat them. You’ll still get wet in proper rain.

Rapha hardshell are also well received in our club, but run hot for many.

tonyg2003

The Gore Shake Dry 1985 is made by Gore (not “just a label”) it’s single layer and fully waterproof/breathable. For a “pac into back pocket” jacket it’s remarkable. I’ve ridden for 8-9hrs In it and not got wet through / sweaty

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, if you want a genuinely waterproof, breathable and packable light weight jacket with a good racing cut then get a shake dry Idro.

plus-one

Rapha winter jersey here.. Not waterproof but I’ve ridden 3hrs in rain and whilst damp I wasn’t cold 😀

All waterproof jackets are sweat bags !!

four
    Free Member

Reggiegasket – the Rapha is ‘pretty’ water proof – I’d not want to go sailing in it but I’m pretty dry on a cycle in the pissing rain with it on. It’s more waterproof than my Gabba but no true breathable active-jacket is going to be 100% waterPROOF.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m a Rapha fanbouy and would always recommend thier winter softshells or winter waterproof proteam stuff, but it all ain’t waterproof I’m afraid, either Water will run down your neck, bend in the elbows or sweat from inside…

It’s a balance between warm comfort and a bit of ingress.

Don’t buy the proteam race cape unless you want to boil from the inside out 😐

MrSmith
    Free Member

Get a nice merino top and put a pac-a-mac in the back pocket

Get some Kendal mint cake and a pair of ronhills while you are at it.

damascus
    Free Member

Out or all the jackets I’ve owned the best one had a full vent on the shoulders and pit vents. Every pocket had mesh for extra vents.

The ones with bad vents were wetter on the inside!

salsa
    Free Member

I have an Endura FS 260 pro sl, great jacket, breathes well and is waterproof, tight collar keeps the rain out, drain holes in the rear pockets, high vis stripes on it.

Worn in bad weather but dry underneath

howarthp

Another Castelli Idro supporter. Best jacket I’ve had by miles. The Sigma price is a bargain

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the Rapha city rain jacket and it’s fully waterproof and highly breathable.

Beautifully made and very nicely cut too.

I might have preferred the race version for a tighter fit, but this was half price in the sale and is only slightly flappy in the medium.

tinribz
    Free Member

Get some Kendal mint cake and a pair of ronhills while you are at it

Have you been watching me?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I have a Showers Pass Event jacket. Totally waterproof with massive pit zips and a vented yoke all the way across the back. Lovely it is!

chunkychew
    Free Member

I’ve never understood waterproof jackets whilst riding bikes. I’ve never found one breathable enough and so I end up wet from the inside rather than the outside. I’d rather be damp from rain than sweat. As long as you are warm, it doesn’t matter. Plus they rattle and flap about. Plus if they shed water well, you end up with wetter (and probably colder) legs, which is more of an issue for me. A good wicking base layer and a windproof has always worked better for me. I realise this is not a helpful answer.

StuF

I really rate my Stolen Goat winter jacket, kept me dry for 4hrs in the soggy peaks last november

djflexure

Shower Pass stuff is decent – I’ve had the refuge for a couple of years. Great in 5H1t conditions.

I’ve never understood waterproof jackets whilst riding bikes.

I think this is fair enough if you are on a local loop but not when heading off the beaten track, or even just riding at a decent distance at night, when I’d want a shell (in winter) as everything else will ‘wet out’ which is suboptimal if you are forced to stop.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What djflexure said. If it’s sub 2 hrs and a reasonable intensity, then warm and wet is fine. Long or low intensity ride I’d rather have a decent waterproof.

sq225917
    Free Member

Endura Pro-Sl user here. It’s very good though it does still get drippy from sweat if it’s cold, raining and you’re pushing, even with a superfine 120g merino baselayer.

The various shake dry seem good, I just need to find one that fits an 80kg 5’8″ rider with + 6 ape index.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘roadie waterproof jacket? (money no object)’ is closed to new replies.