Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Roadie upgrades
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Well I’ve had my road bike a couple of months now and I really enjoy it. And wish I’d got something more expensive now.
    Is it worth upgrading my Triban 300 with carbon forks, replace the Microsoft groupset to Sora and new wheels.

Or invest in a Cannondale Synapse Sora 2015.

scaredypants

… hazelnut in every bite ?

paddy0091
    Free Member

I wouldn’t upgrade the groupset unless you have significant issue with the Microshift stuff, the Triban stuff is pretty decent as well.

Look towards a new machine! Perhaps a 2014 model if you want an upgraded groupset and whole new bike…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Does your Microsoft groupset have Windows on the shifters?

Superficial
    Free Member

The only thing I would look to upgrade would be tyres. And then maybe wheels, since they would be easily transferable to a new bike.

Everything else is a bit of a waste of money IMO. You’d be much better off selling the Triban and buying something else (second hand?).

Superficial
    Free Member

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Wheels, the biggest single upgrade to any lower end bike is the wheels. I have a Alu Ribble for commuting duties with 9 speed tiagra (which is now sora) and R500’s on it. They are dependable but very heavy and the bike is plodder. For big days in the saddle I pop my Mavic Ksyrium Elite S’s with GP4000s tyres on and and the bike is instantly transformed it feels much more sprightly. I very much doubt popping 11 speed Ultegra on would have anywhere near the same effect.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just ride the Triban into the ground for a year or two then you’ll know what you really want from a new bike. If you want to upgrade something then do the cheap heavy tyres and tubes.

Edit… if you want to spend some cash get some decent road riding kit.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Nothing really wrong with the bike. Brakes are a bit crap. And tyres aren’t confidence inspiring.
    Wheels I’d definitely like something lighter.

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t upgrade, buy a nice bike and keep that one for shitty weather riding.

😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nothing really wrong with the bike. Brakes are a bit crap. And tyres aren’t confidence inspiring.
    Wheels I’d definitely like something lighter.

Have you ridden something better as a basis for comparison?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Keep riding it and save up for a new bike but if you must upgrade something start with the wheels.

mtbel
    Free Member

R500s aren’t “very heavy”
    They are just a decently stiff/strong rim traditionally laced with decent no frills spokes to low end but dependable and serviceable hubs.
    they are very reliable and as long as they are built nice n tight won’t hold you back in the slightest.
    Ksyriums are lighter obviously but you’d be an idiot to spend £500 on wheels for a £300 microshift shod Triban. the whole point in the Triban is it’s entry level price. it’s a bargain ready to ride roadbike, upgrading anything other than the tyres is just false economy.

Now that you know you enjoy road cycling take your time looking for a S/H bargain to replace the Triban with. The beauty of road cycling suddenly becoming hugely popular is that the S/H market is saturated with barely used good quality roadbikes.

MrNice
    Free Member

the best upgrade you can make is your fitness

Maybe change the tyres, crap tyres can be a bit scary. Change the saddle if it’s not comfortable. Then ride it until you feel you’ve earned something better.

that’s not what you want to hear, is it?

mtbel
    Free Member

it never is, MrNice. 😆

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

R500s aren’t “very heavy”

I cycle to work on them every day and I beg to differ.

Ksyriums are lighter obviously but you’d be an idiot to spend £500 on wheels for a £300 microshift shod Triban.

I totally agree but they would be the best upgrade would they not.?

Then ride it until you feel you’ve earned something better.

Use it and abuse it they buy something really nice for the summer and use the Triban for winter duties when the weather turns in the autumn.

wilburt
    Free Member

Keep the Triban as it is for winter/pub whatever duties and spend a couple of grand on something all carbon with ultegra everything and decent wheels.

Then forget about upgrades and ride loads.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Oh yeah I need to get more experienced and mileage under my belt. It was more of do I upgrade the bike with tarty bits or replace the bike when the time comes. Probably this time next year.

I do need some better tyres and a comfort saddle. Sat on comfier bricks.

cookeaa

I’d Keep the stock group and wheels for at least the rest of the winter.

Then maybe look at the total cost for a Sora or tiagra group, and a set of R500/501 wheels come spring time…

Cost out those upgrades against whatever new bikes you might be mulling over, and decide if it’s worth spending on a new and shiny toy for summer and keeping the triban as a winter beater/commuter.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

It would be £329.98 for them upgrades and a new bike I’m looking at would cost £699 or 799 for a cannondale.
    Is the frame worth upgrading?

chakaping
    Free Member

Good wheels and tyres are a safe bet, since you’ll probably take them with you to the next bike anyway.

Wouldn’t bother with the groupset on that if it were me.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Keep riding the triban.
    Test ride some nice road bikes.
    Figure out what size you need and what bike feels right.
    Hunt down a 2nd hand bargain.
    Easy to get carried away and rush into buying something which isn’t quite right.
    Maybe just get some better tyres for now.

taxi25
    Free Member

Not sure I’d go from the triban to £700-800 new bike it wouldn’t be a great improvement in performance. Spend that money on something S/H and you could get something really nice 😀

edhornby

I have to agree with the posts above – upgrade the tyres and leave the rest as is

ride the life out of it and when you know what you want next, the triban becomes the winter clubrun/commuter/pub bike 🙂 just add mudguards

andyjh

Found myself in a similar position with my road bike. Bought it last year as a taster to Roadie life and avoiding hours of cleaning after every ride. Turns out I really enjoy so started thinking about wheels and groupset upgrades. LBS talked me out of that and advised to save the money and put towards a decent new bike for the summer. So all I’ve done is change tyres and ride it 🙂

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Just get some tyres, maybe new brake calipers so you’re happy ridng it. Then next year get a full carbon 105/Ultegra bike, put mudguards on the Triban and that becomes your winter/rain bike (if you get serious you will want a winter bike). The year after that get some carbon wheels for the good bike, and move its old wheels down to the Triban.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve the older Triban 3, the red one, and I upgraded the wheels to Shimano R501’s from Merlin.

They are a bit lighter than stock, but the main thing strangly is the braking is better. Might be worth a punt at £60 for a pair.

cookeaa

It would be £329.98 for them upgrades and a new bike I’m looking at would cost £699 or 799 for a cannondale.
    Is the frame worth upgrading?

If the microshift drive is working then Nope IMO, just keep it for now, R501’s at this price would be a worthwhile “Upgrade” as would a new pair of tyres, but if the gears function adequately then leave them for another day…

In terms of Cost/Benefit ~£100 on wheels and tyres would be more use to you right now than £200+ on a drivetrain you’re only going to wear between now and May….

like many have said on this thread, maintaining the triban on a shoestring so you have something to ride when the weather is grim and save wear and tear on a possible nicer bike is logical… plus it gives you time to shop about and try a few options for that nicer bike, looking at used options or a bit of self assembly is a good idea too…

£500 and some bodging got me a bike with 105 group/carbon Frame and fork so Cheap and nice can be done with some leg work…
    Road bikes are mechanically pretty similar to MTBs in most respects with the possible exception of internal routing and bending your head round taping bars, but if you can spanner an MTB and have a bit of time, you should be able to assemble/work on a Road bike and get much more for your money…

ahwiles
    Free Member

if your local rides are hilly, you may feel the benefit of better brake blocks. koolstop salmon, or swisstop green, or clarks triple compound, are all much better than the rock-hard pads most bikes come with.

softer pads mean your rims should last a little long too…

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m in a similar situation having recently got my first road bike. My plan is to keep riding what I’ve got this year and buy something nicer for summer 2016 (by which point I’ll have done 2 winters and will know if the investment is worthwhile), my current bike will be relegated to winter/crappy weather!

tpbiker
    Free Member

given that a pair of discounted kysrium elites will probably be much better wheels than the pair that come with your next road bike i dont think that upgrading to these just now is such a bad idea, Sure you’ll double the value of the triban, but then you can just swap them to your new bike once you decide to upgrade

TiRed

Completely agree. I bought a pair off here for £200 for Teen2’s Defy 5. They are now running Tubeless Schwalbe Ones on a much nicer bike. Excellent wheels. WHen I swapped the fork, I more than doubled the price of the bike!

Tyres have probably seen the biggest upgrade in performance, that and good quality inner tubes. Lighter stiffer wheels next, then move the wheels to your next bike.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Been looking at a Nice Carbon 105 equipped Dolan bike on a local fb forum and that’s what I’d like to aim for. So I will upgrade to them shimano wheels, New saddle and tyres also.

Any reccomendations for good all round tyres?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Roadie upgrades’ is closed to new replies.