• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Roadie tyres
  • rascal
    Free Member

I know, I know….been done a few times.
    I’ve heard many extol the virtues of Conti GP4000 S II – are they really as good as some say?
    Genuine question as at some point I’ll change the tyres on the road bike and this seems like a good deal…
    http://www.merlincycles.com/pair-continental-gp4000-s-ii-folding-tyres-with-2-free-inner-tubes-700c-71989.html
    25’s are gone but might stick with 23’s. Good deal?

warton
    Free Member

I’ve had them on my main bike for about 3 years (2 pairs) and I’ve had 1 puncture, with latex tubes. I’d estimate I’ve done about 12,000 miles on that bike in that time period. So, yes they are that good.

i struggle to look past continentals for road use to be honest. just bought a pair of Competition tubs for my TT bike. 100 quid a pair, but everyone who has them raves about them…

scaredypants

they’re quite cuttable IME if you ride on flinty roads but otherwise were fine

captain-slow
    Free Member

great tyres, bargain price, but have taken mine off for the winter as they cut up something terrible on chilterns flint

rascal
    Free Member

For various reasons I haven’t used the road bike in quite a while and haven’t done many miles at all since I’ve had it (nearly a year). It came fitted with Mavic Aksion tyres – I haven’t ridden them in the wet – some on here swear they are lethal, some say they’re ok – I haven’t had any issues with them TBH.
    Will I notice a significant improvement with the Conti’s over the Mavics? I had Conti Gatorskins on my last road bike and never punctured with those and found them great tyres, even though some slated them on here 🙄
    Plan on dusting the bike off and trying to get some sort of fitness again which seems to have totally deserted me!

mtbel
    Free Member

what is chilterns flint? and why does it not occur in summer, spring or autumn? 😕

Conti tyre construction and QC can leave a lot to be desired IME. Despite having the full range available to me at cost price I avoid Conti tyres now. there are plenty equally good and better alternatives out there.

scaredypants

what is chilterns flint? and why does it not occur in summer, spring or autumn?

it’s just flint, but for rich people !
    (presumably it’s the same as new forest flint which a) flushes onto the roads more in winter and b) when wet it sticks to your tyres long enough to **** them up)

captain-slow
    Free Member

it’s the same as new forest flint which a) flushes onto the roads more in winter and b) when wet it sticks to your tyres long enough to **** them up

this…

mtbel
    Free Member

Thanks scaredypants.

I’d avoid advice on tyres from anyone who doesn’t regularly ride in the wet unless you live in a country where it never rains.

scaredypants

it’s a weird thing – I’ve never had a road puncture in the dry round here, as far as I can remember anyway, but have had 3 in 3 miles in the wet (on a gatorskin IIRR)
    (tubeless now)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’m with Warton.

GP4000S 23mm on road and TT bikes. 4 Seasons 28mm on winter roadie. Over 4000 miles last year without a problem.

Just bought Comp tubs for my new TT wheels.

I have confidence in Conti road tyres so will continue to use them.

Not so fussed with their MTB offerings so far, but only tried Mountain Kings which wore very quickly.

mtbel – so are you going to recommend any alternatives or just state that Conti are crap and there are better tyres out there but not suggest any?

rascal
    Free Member

C’mon mtbel – how about naming these better alternatives then?!

mtbel
    Free Member

Great for you Mary. I don’t. just goes to show we’re not all the same and don’t all have the same experience or indeed needs from our tyres. is that 4000 miles between 3 bikes ie. 3 pairs of tyres? or did you mean your GP4S have done 4000? That’s about what I’d expect the tread to last, but a tyre that starts to fall apart well before the tread is worn out is of no use to me.

Rascal, If you found Gatorskins great. Pretty much any race tyre will perform better in every way (other than puncture/cut resistance). Will you notice the improvement? Who knows?
    You haven’t given any indication of where you intend riding, what quality of roads, in what conditions or what qualities you even want from a tyre.
    stating your weight, preferred tyre width/pressures and how you ride would be even more helpful.

By all means buy the GP4000s (that is a very good price). I’d be making sure I kept my receipt that’s all.

mtbel
    Free Member

I’m not about to tell you what to buy but I have been very impressed with Vredestein’s Fortezza range of tyres for the last couple of years. but like I said above, I have no idea if you ride similar conditions or are anywhere near as heavy or as hard on tyres as I. I don’t require full on race performance or a super lightweight product. My requirements are reliable all weather grip throughout the life of the tyre. good feel. decently low rolling resistance and puncture resistance but above all durability and security. The original question wasn’t about me or my requirements though was it? it was about Continental GP4000s. search online for sidewall failure if you don’t believe there are others with similar experience of them to me.

TiRed

Schwalbe Ones are £28 each from Rose bikes. Fantastic tyres. Duranos are cheaper and more robust for wet flinty roads. Both can be removed without levers. I may try some contis at some stage just to reconfirm my anti-Conti predjudices.

wilburt
    Free Member

Best tyres For UK road bikes are conti gp4seasons.

rp16v
    Free Member

Most used tyres in our shop by customers are conti Gators or hardshells
    Personal use is 4 seasons and bontragers

globalti
    Free Member

This winter I’ve been using Veloflex Open Corsas from Ribble. They do cut up a bit but no worse than a Michelin Pro4 but the ride and grip are astonishingly good. I’ve had two punctures on wet gritty road, one of those was riding through a flood on the London 100, which was reduced to 86 miles thanks to an American hurricane. I’ve never known a tyre that makes the bike feel so secure and “planted” or comfortable.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/veloflex-veloflex-tyres-twinpack-deals-veloflex-corsa-twinpack2/velxtyrf351

beej

I’m another GP4 Seasons user, I leave them on all year. Very few (if any) punctures – I’m struggling to remember the last one (and that’s with about 6000km of riding on them last year, spread over a couple of bikes).

I have Hampshire and Berkshire flint to deal with, ride in all conditions and the 6000km includes a couple of weeks in the mountains. I was pretty glad of then descending Passo Giau into Cortina during torrential rain. That said, the other couple of riders I was with didn’t crash either and they were probably on different tyres.

jonba
    Free Member

The grand Prix range from conti use the same black chilly compound I think. You’d need to check the website. A bit tougher with puncture protection. 25 mm is fine there is very little in it. I think I’ll be racing on 25mm next time I need to change tyres. Might just get something silly light 23mm for the hill Climb season.

rt60
    Free Member

Vittoria Open Pave, designed for the cobbled classics, very supple tyre and impressively resistant to Flint. Only more puncture resist any tyre I have used are schwalbe durano pluses, which I have never punctured but gave up on as they feel like riding on a steel tyre.

globalti
    Free Member

That’s always going to be the problem…. supple, with soft grippy compound and easily cut or tough with thicker tread, more weight but fewer punctures.

warton
    Free Member

Vittoria Open Pave

And your get the added bonus of arms like a rugby player, getting them on and off…

rascal
    Free Member

Went out in the wet yesterday on the Mavic Aksions.
    No issues TBH but I was very cautious on bends – especially one steep long bendy descent – didn’t have any confidence in them – so they are going.

Anyone use Schwalbe Lugano?
    Seem to get decent reviews and seem good in the wet.
    Argos are doing them online for £9 each! Gotta be worth a punt – or is it a case of buy cheap buy twice?

Still favouring the Conti GP4000s II though.

lunge

My preferred options at the moment are:
    Winter – Vredestein Forza Senso Xtreme 28mm. Grippy, tough and so far at least, not too many punctures. Sooooo much better than Gatorskins that other people seem to recommend.
    Summer – Veloflex Master 25mm or Schwalbe One. Both fast, neither overly tough, both cracking tyres.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Roadie tyres’ is closed to new replies.