Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Roadie top with rear pockets – do I need a zip?
  • teef
    Free Member

Do I need a zip to keep my keys secure or will gravity do the trick?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Gravity is fine unless you end up upside down.

I actually do prefer a zipped pocket though to prevent the “pullout jacket and lose keys etc trick”

Torm do two zippy pockets and look not terrible.

Wally

I sow in a lanyard ebay thing into my tops. Impossible to lose keys and easy to clip them on.

nickdavies

Decent pockets and well fitting jersey not a problem. It’s when you get flappy loose ones then it can be an issue, I’m happy riding the mtb in lycra with keys and phone in there.

mooman
    Free Member

Proper tight fitting jersey all you need.

anagallis_arvensis

Its handy to keep a key safe but I use tops without. Just keep the key in the pocket with a pump or whatever and not a food pocket or rain jacket pocket as I pull stuff out of those whilst moving so the key could get lost.

MoreCashThanDash

I succumbed to a Velopac manbag. Keys, cards and cash stay safe and waterproof, fits perfectly in a jersey pocket.

Always worried keys on their own would wear a hole in any jersey pocket.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Helps if only for peace of mind

Had my pump fly out on 36mph descent this morning almost hitting car behind 😳

convert

I’ve got a jersey with a zipped pocket within a normal pocket which I quite like. As said above it depends if it is a pocket you dip into as you ride – I’ve lost the odd loose tenner out of a rear pocket when pulling out a rain jacket or food on the fly.I normally have a non riding pocket for phone/key/cash and the other two for stuff I need on the go to prevent this.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A small dry bag is the best thing to do. Stops all your stuff getting sweaty.

jonba
    Free Member

Its rare that stuff falls out. Normally only bars when you go for one you pull out two. Pencil case, plastic bag or an expensive case is what most people use to put their phone,keys and wallet in. I have a lezyne thing that takes my phone etc. and is water resistant. When racing I have a small plastic purse which I pin in. Don’t want to lose my car keys on a bumpy bit (or crash :() and it keeps them try enough as they are electronic.

dti

i like jerseys with a zipped chest pocket, hard to find however.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m pretty particular about my jerseys bit zipped pockets isnt high on the list.

Tight but not restrictive.
    Quality material
    No sag with full pockets.
    Preferably not primary colours.
    Three pockets.
    Good zip.
    Makes me feel like I’m awesome.

The last point is obviously the most important and difficult to achieve.

Haze

Nice to have the security, I only travel with the garage key where I leave the others locked up…figure it’s less hassle to lose one…

But yeah, a nice tight fitting jersey helps…

mooman
    Free Member

Arghh – yes. You must avoid the rear saggy jersey look. I used to ride with a fella who carried so much stuff in his rear pockets, it stretched the back of his jersey almost to the back of his knees … def a bad look!
    Problems arise here when your too short for your weight!

MoreCashThanDash

Problems arise here when your too short for your weight!

😳

TiRed

I pin car key inside my jersey pocket for races. Otherwise I haven’t felt the need for a zip. Big stuff like a coat goes under the jersey not in the pockets. A drybag is nice to keep wallet dry.

Northwind

If I don’t have a zip on a pocket, I will lose what’s in it, it’s basically that simple. Don’t know why this is as most folks don’t seem to have the same issue. Body shape? Riding position? Who knows.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Roadie top with rear pockets – do I need a zip?’ is closed to new replies.