Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Roadie shorts, and base layer on a budget?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking for a half decent pair of roadie shorts – non-bibs.

I currently mainly wear Planet-X 365 Bibs, which are great, but want another pair for warmer days, and when the bibs are in the wash.

Any recommendations? Looking to spend under than £30.

Also looking for a generic base layer for cooler days, to be used on road and MTB, and hikes etc. Not a thermal, something like a HH Lifa. Similar budget to above.

If they are from a vaguely sustainable/eco-friendly company, even better.

Thanks,
    Duane.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Depends on your definition of half decent, but suspect you’ll have trouble finding anything that remotely fits that description the right side of £40

iainc

Have a look at tennoutdoors stuff – well made and great prices

here

jamiep
    Free Member

I buy castelli, sportful, rapha, etc, as i like nice roadie clothes when spending hours in the same position, but there is deminishing returns the more one spends. If I was looking at your price range, decathlon, but the 520 or 700 stuff, not the 500 or lower stuff. The higher end decathlon has features like seamless straps or laser cut thigh grippers

40mpg

Ditto Tenn, decathlon or look at the DHB stuff at Wiggle

edhornby

Merlin own brand ones for that price point

Have a look on prendas, you may get something end of line but probably more like 35 40 ish but would definitely be good quality

nathb
    Free Member

+1 for Merlins @£20

Bought a few pairs as my staple commuter shorts.

Tenns are too short in the leg/ride up, plus I’ve tried FDX/Chinese/Sports Direct and non of them compare.

Mackem

Decathlon stuff is good.

Kuco

I’ve got some DHB Wiggle ones and recently brought some Castelli as the DHB are getting old but I find the DHB ones far more comfy than the Castelli.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve yet to buy cycling shorts as individual items, but as far as padded liners go that come with baggies, by far I prefer the Funkier set over the Endura.

paule
    Free Member

Another fan of DHB shorts here. As for base layers, I like the planet-x 365 ones.

nickdavies

Funkier far and away the best cheap roadie clothing imo. Well made, comfortable and I find the pad decent whereas most of my cheap bibs the pad is shite.

SaxonRider

Those who have suggested Tenn are right on the money. I have a pair of Tenn bib shorts and unlined long tights for spring/autumn, and have had for two years. Both have been excellent with a good chamois. And their stuff will be well under your budget.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Funkier stuff is good despite its low cost .
    My current go to short are some of there bibs even though I have some high end Spesh & casttelli

iainc

^^^ yep, I have loads of tenn stuff, as do my kids. All good quality and very comfy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mountain warehouse base layers are the best I’ve owned and cheap as chips. I paid £6.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve ridden rides like the Etape in BTwin 700 series bib shorts, same pad as the 900 series. Think they’re about £40. And they do various base layers up to about £25 for the aerofit one with a windproof chest panel. I got one of the those in a sale for £13 and its one of the most versatile items of clothing I’ve ever bought.

slowster
    Free Member

Craft Active Extreme long sleeve base layers are currently £22 at Wiggle.

joebristol

I’m not sure how much the dhb ones are on wiggle these days but I’ve had 3 pairs of three nke for mainly commuting duties and you can’t go wrong with them. Good level of padding without being too chunky and they’ve all washed well.

Duane…
    Free Member

Many thanks all, played it safe and bought some dhb shorts, will decide on base layer soon!

scotroutes

Also check out Polaris. I’ve a few items from them now and they’re all great vfm. Regular sales so buy at the right time to save even more.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The dhb stuff has impressed me alot.

I’ve had assos and castelli

Dhb have features that punch well above their price point

chilled76
    Free Member

Another vote here for some funkier kit. Great budget bibs

trail_rat
    Free Member

To add bad experiences.

Altura kit sizing is all over the shop. And the fit is horrendous…not sure what body shape they based it on.

Also those recommending Tenn….what shape are you. I ordered some as they seemed good value. They got sent straight back as they looked to be cut for some sort of short bottom heavy Martian. Baggy on the bottom.but I could barely get the bibs up over my shoulders…….

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I use these Campri base layers. ~Ok so it says thermal but they are perfect. Very similar to HH type material.

And they certainly meet the ‘budget’ criteria. I’ve got loads in all different colours.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Virtually all vests are the damn thing with small variations to justify price and name. Get something close fitting. “Thermal” is a word best used by M&S and means sod all. Ignore it.
    Base layers are something you put on bare wood before it gets another coat of paint. Another silly modern word for vest.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is my long sleeved “base layer” a vest then?? 🙄 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Someone has base layer confused with base coat

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

DHB….Lusso

bullandbladder
    Free Member

+1 for Polaris. It’s become my go-to brand because it just works, it fits me properly and doesn’t cost the earth.

tjagain

look out for the aldi / lidl stuff as it comes in. Great value. shorts use the same pads as one of the big brands. ( endura??)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Roadie shorts, and base layer on a budget?’ is closed to new replies.