Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Roadie seatpost.
  • dantsw13

I’ve just bought a Viner Maxima frame to replace my old cracked one. I will move everything over except the seatpost which is the wrong size.

Now I’ve only been riding road bikes for a couple of years, and I can’t say I’ve noticed much difference between the posts on the bikes I’ve ridden. My local roads aren’t that smooth, so something to take the buzz out would be perfect. I also don’t want to break the bank, as I’ve been bleeding money on bikes recently!

Carbon or Alu? Is there really much difference?

dantsw13

Bump? Any recommendations?

njee20
    Free Member

You get flexy alu and harsh carbon. What’s the budget?

antigee

specialized do some seat posts with elastomer “zertz” inserts – but think they only do one seat post diameter

I recently picked up a 2nd hand one as ride a lot of gravel roads and here at least in this part of Aus’ they level them with a grader with caterpillar tracks and you get horrible corrugations that are a pain or were – it does actually work – think this review is there newest model – one i got was not so radically shaped or as expensive – worth a look

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/seat-post-seat-pin/product/review-specialized-cg-r-seatpost-14-48630/

matts
    Free Member

If you want something with some real give, then the Ergon/Canyon one is worth a look (muchos £££ though)

I had one of the Spesh Zertz posts. Not bad, but quite fragile.

The Easton EC70 I have at the moment is pretty good.

If you want more comfort, consider using a 27.2 post and a shim rather than a 31.6. They generally have much more give.

dantsw13

Ideally under £100. I’m after the holy trinity of light, strong & cheap, and add forgiving as a bonus 🙂

html6
    Free Member

If your under 80KG. How about a Thomson ‘copy’ for £14
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-GUB-Masterpiece-Alloy-CNC-seatpost-bicycle-MTB-bike-seat-post-parts-Road-Cycling-30-9/2027730632.html

Tons of other aluminium and carbon option on there.
    Well worth a punt at those prices.

lunge

Deda SuperZero on Merlin? £75 seems good value to me.
    http://www.merlincycles.com/deda-superzero-carbon-seatpost-71123.html

geetee1972
    Free Member

I never understand the joy with which people buy ‘cheap copies’ of bike components, as if it represents some important victory over the evil forces of explotative capitalism.

I was in mechanic’s workshop the other day and he was showing me the clearly ripped off copies of a 3T carbon bar and stem. Apart from the terible finishing, the amount of flex in the bars was terrifying. You could move the drops vertically by about 1cm and there was discernable flex laterally around the stem clamp.

These cheap copies are the thing keeping you upright at 30mph+. Why would you trust cheap and light?

html6
    Free Member

The reason i would buy that post above is because ive had multiple real thomson posts and know that their design works well. So if it does the same job for 25% of the cost. Then it works for me. And btw, nothing is original. Everything has been copied in some shaped or form. Thomson didnt invent the seatpost. im sure there design was ‘inspired’ by someone elses. Iits fair game in my book.

Cnc aluminium is different from carbon.

I would never ride a chinese carbon bar fake or not. But i do have a chinese frame from a reputable seller.

The failure of handlebars is alot more risky than a seatpost.

If a seatpost snaps your legs will catch the fall, to a degree. 🙂

therevokid
    Free Member

2nd hand Ti ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

The design of a product is only one part of it’s integrity. Those chinese bars looked just like the 3T ones.

If a seatpost snaps your legs will catch the fall, to a degree.

Have you seen the film ‘Things to do in Denver When You’re Dead’? If so then you will know what I mean by the term ‘buckwheats’ 😯

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Roadie seatpost.’ is closed to new replies.