Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Roadie rapid rise – why not ?
  • scaredypants

(at least I don't think they do)

seem to remember that rr was said to be of benefit to racers (smooth under load etc), so why not roadies ?

my road bike has a rr mtb mech on it (that's what I had in the garage) and I swear it IS better – just cos the big lever on each side does "faster" and the little lever does "slower" and I'm a bit thick

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think its probably because roadies, on the whole, are a pretty conservative bunch and very resistant to change.

aP
    Free Member

Because quick wheel changes are harder because rr defaults to bottom rather than top gear, and it would be very strange for Campagnolo to use a shitmano patent.

scaredypants

aP – that'd only be if the cables snapped

campagnolo – what's that ?

d0ugal
    Free Member

i seem to recall it being that roadies do not tend to change gear under extreme load or with a drive train full of mud

though, i agree, it would be nice to have a rr mech for my road bike.

for me, a big bonus of rr is that when used with dual control both levers move the mechs the same way … push down gets harder, up gets easier

dual control with a "normal" mech would be a nightmare.(*)

(*) though some would argue that dual control is a nightmare whatever the configuration. 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

are a pretty conservative bunch and very resistant to change.

Erm are you sure about that, carbon fibre bars, carbon fibre frames, deep section wheels, STI and Ergo Levers…….need i go on ?

ourmaninthenorth

Not sure it's got anything to do with conservatism, as tragically, says.

I love RR on my MTB, but I can't see the benefit on my road bike – I never shift under that much load, and can always unweight the drivetrain enough if I have to.

campagnolo – what's that?

For real?

scaredypants

campagnolo – what's that?
    For real?

Nah, I know who they are – corkscrews innit ?!

njee20
    Free Member

Campag shifters already work 'backwards' to Shimano ones anyway, so actually Shimano with a RR mech would be more like Campag anyway.

crazy-legs

Rapid Rise is rubbish on MTB, never mind on road bikes!

There's a far bigger lever to move on road bikes so you're not working against the spring as much as you are on the much smaller RF+ shifter. It's generally thought that, in a sprint finish, it's easier to change up to a harder gear using the smaller of the two levers.

In fact SRAM is even better in this sense because the upshift lever can be pulled right back to the bar and held there, a slight flick of the wrist is all it then takes to shift up in sprint finishes.

mefty
    Free Member

Crazy legs makes a good point, you would be using the small lever to push against the spring so there would be a mechanical disadvantage.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don't think I'm "resistant to change" particularly, but as with such old chestnuts as disc brakes on my road racer, I'm fairly resistant to being sold new things for the hell of it. My racer changes gear 100% reliably and the shifting action is hardly difficult to get your head round. Do I wish therefore to buy a new derailleur? Not really. 😀

scaredypants

the big lever will always do the cable pulling and the little one always the releasing, it's just which direction the spring works

do people really change gear during sprints ? (I've never been in one)

crazy-legs

do people really change gear during sprints ? (I've never been in one)

Depends on the sprint and the gradient, any leadout you may have etc etc. But it's nice to have the option.

mefty
    Free Member

Scaredypants, you are of course correct – did not think it through and the opposite is so ingrained.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

My racer changes gear 100% reliably and the shifting action is hardly difficult to get your head round. Do I wish therefore to buy a new derailleur? Not really.

some roadie you are 😆

d0ugal
    Free Member

very difficult to snap a chain with rr
    as the chain shifts when "it's" ready
    whereas with a normal mech the chain shifts when "forced"
    force the chain at the wrong location on the cassette and under too much loads and snap.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Roadie rapid rise – why not ?’ is closed to new replies.