Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Roadie Question : SRAM groupsets… anyone got an SRAM setup and are they good?
  • fisha
    Free Member

Looking to build up a road bike over the summer, and basically completely torn between 105 / Ultegra, but also having a look at the SRAM stuff.

Knowing that a few folk here are into a bike of the darkside like me, i thought I would throw it out to the STW massive! So is it any good? Likes / dislikes compared to Shimano.

I'm not interested in Campagnolo … just not for me.

cheers,

Don

JoeNation
    Free Member

I have a mix of Rival and Red on my bike, love it to bits. I've never really done much riding with 105 or Ultegra, so I can't comment on it's performance. But I do know even Rival shifts really well (haven't actually ridden my new Red rear mech yet), way better than Campag Veloce, and it's much lighter than 6600 Ultegra.

My main reason for not using Shimano is the lever shape, I just can't get on with the massive hood where the shift mechanism is (the new DA and Ultegra levers might be better though). And I prefer the Doubletap shift lever, it's really intuative.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Personally I would set yourself a budget and then see what is the best groupset you can see with the most current discount ( merlin is always a good place for discounted groupsets). eg if you were looking at full price Rival (£699) get Dura Ace 7800 ( merlin £649) for about the same price.
    Whatever anyone tells you there isn't a massive difference between SRAM Shimano and Campag when comparing equvilantly priced groupsets. For me its campag but I know that choice is based on a huge amount of predjudice rather than fact.

daveh
    Free Member

All down to personal preference. I prefer SRAM, probably just because I'm a clot, but I like the brake lever to be a brake lever, with only one hinge direction. I found Shimano a faff when trying to brake and change up. I should try before you buy.

jacko54321
    Free Member

i have a full 105 setup on my felt F55, only problem i have ever had is the front mech,wouldnt change gear for some reason,only had to buy a new cable so it was a cheap fix. had the bike 6 months,

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I was a life long shimano user after a brief stunt on campag in early 90's.

I've just got a Sram force group on my new bike and I'm fairly impressed. The shifting is easy but still trying to use the brake lever to shift up. The cranks are stiff and change rings well but not quite as smoothly as shimano in my books. The brakes are good if not quite as strong as shimano.

The weight is good and price is good. I'd buy again but I'd also look at shimano groups. All in all mine will be good until I can afford Di2, which by the way is awesome!

fisha
    Free Member

I currently have 105 on my commuter at the moment. The hoods are comfy enough for long rides but what i've found over time is that whilst the levers click and shift fine, the rear mech seems to be delayed by a shift when in the middle of the cassette.

for example, if i'm shifting up the cassette, then each lever click will jump up a cog as expected. then when I want to go down the cassette, i'll have to do 2 clicks. One to almost say i'm about to change direction, and then 1 to make it change. The same happens going the other way. If i'm clicking down the cassette, it jumps down fine, but when i need to go back up, it'll take 1 click to centre it, and then 1 click per jump after that.

Thats been the case with groupset fitted to different frames and numerous different cables used.

I'm just wondering whether the SRAM would get rid of that issue.

Budget wise … £450 area seems to be able to get me the new Rival stuff or 105 stuff, or last years Ultegra SL.

poppa
    Free Member

Shimano and SRAM road gear is all very good, usually just a matter of personal taste.

finbar
    Free Member

Hearsay (at least, what i've heard) suggests SRAM doesn't stay adjusted correctly as long as Shimano.

techsmechs
    Free Member

SRAM – (+) Brakes are waaay stronger than Shimano, shifting stays in line better too
    (-) Feels a little like an Italian group, IE agricultural and makes more noise

Shimano – (+) Superslick shifting, easy to get spares newer groups now have hidden cable's, cranks are the stiffest out there.
    (-) Not as nice to look at (IMO), brakes can be poor and soggy.

Both setups are excellent and as it has been said before see what you can get on a deal. I prefer SRAM but would gladly ride Shimano (and have done,lots)

mcboo
    Free Member

Got a Boardman road bike via Ride2Work last year, came with SRAM Rival groupset, less brakes. Have to say, for "entry level" kit it has been pretty faultless. Cranks are nice and stiff, shifts beautifully…..never had it back to the shop, just adjust cable tension now and then.

Hard to compare like with like but it its hard to fault even compared to top end XTR type mtb kit.

Picto
    Free Member

Would agree with techsmechs re the brakes on Sram groups. I have used rival and red and both are superb. More bite than my old ultegra, which are are fine but not special. I suspect nw ultegra and sura ace are equally good though.

Shifting with Sram is excellent. Red is a lot better than rival – much less lever movement than rival to shift. Takes a little getting used to after using shimano, but well worth the effort. Easy to set up and stays set up in my experience.

At a given price point though it is probably as stated above down to aesthetics and the deal, as all are good – Campy, shimano and sram.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Question : SRAM groupsets… anyone got an SRAM setup and are they good?’ is closed to new replies.