Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Roadie question (sorry)
  • simmy
    Free Member

It’s been a nice day today and it got me thinking about how I’m going to carry my phone and cash when the weather gets hotter.

Over the winter I’ve just stuffed everything into my jacket and the back end of last summer when I got the road bike I was riding with my baggies and 5:10’s 😳

What I’m basically asking is do any road shirts have zips on the rear or what other solutions apart from Tri Bags are there ?

IanW
    Free Member

Some have zips, some don’t, stuff usually stays put in either.

You’ll probably want to put your phone in a bag of sorts,(food bag or maybe a little zipper case) and put a fiver/tenner/card in there as well.

Bazz

Pretty much what IanW says, but tools/inner tubes etc. are best in a seat pack imo, don’t worry about the snobs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steve_b77
    Free Member

You want one of THESE to cover your carrying needs, I’m getting one asap

househusband
    Free Member

Most have three separate back pockets and it’s amazing what you can carry in them if you whittle it down to the necessities. One bottle on the bike and, if needed, another in a pocket; pump spare tube, puncture repair kit, Pedro’s tyre levers and Hexus wrapped up tight in a small sac; phone, cash, blood sugar level meter, insulin and way more gels and food than I’ll ever need!

One of the things I’ve enjoyed about riding more on the road is the amount of crap I don’t carry with me compared to mountain biking – and I’m amazed at what I have been able to cut down to.

butcher

I’m a practical kinda guy, and like to have various storage options for all the crap I carry on my rides. But over time I have learnt to use my jersey pockets for the vast majority of it. Phone, key and money in zip pocket. Jacket and pump in one pocket. Camera in another. Then I have one free for optional paraphernalia depending on requirements.

Tools, tubes, and repair kit go in saddle pack. Then I like to have a munchies pack on my top tube (I’m not very cool 🙂 )

househusband
    Free Member

aLoksak bags are handy for cash, phone and valuables – the rubbery feel means they don’t go anywhere. Way more robust than you’d think.

prawny

I’ve got a bottle on my bike with patches tubes and levers in, a little tiny seat pack for co2 and keys, back pocket for phone in a sandwich bag and a bit of food if it’s a longer one. I’ll put the tubes and levers in a pocket if it’s a really long on and use two bottles.

Never needed the zipped pocket for valuables. It’s a long way out of them.

lunge

Saddle pack with tubes, multitool, patches, tyre levers, keys and inhaler. Back pockets have phone, train pass and a banana or 2 in jersey pockets, along with any spare layers, gloves, etc. On my ride today I started with empty pockets (it was early and still cool) and ended up with a billet, gloves, cap, arm and leg warmers in the pockets. All fitted reasonable easily.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Yep. Tool bottle. Get a decent quality one though as the cheaper ones – the lid can pop over unexpected bumps.
    And the phone, pump, credit card, energy bars go into the jersey pocket.

belugabob
    Free Member

Don’t do much road riding (I only have a hybrid, anyway) but have taken to riding as minimal as possible on my MTB(mostly to avoid having a backpack)
    Tools and spare tubes go in a saddlebag, pump in a bracket that mounts under the bottle cage (using the same bolts as the bottle cage) and water goes in the bottle. Jersey pockets are reserved exclusively for any items that I don’t like the idea of falling on top of – this includes, but is not limited to keys, phones, tools & co2 cartidges – as I find that even falling on a chunk of malt loaf, flapjack or a sandwich hurts plenty enough already 😉

I only have one jersey with a zipped pocket, and that pocket never gets used as it’s too fiddly.

nosaintangel
    Free Member

For your spare tubes and pump.
    cut the top off an old water bottle stuff them in tight and .fit in the spare bottle cadge.
    ive never had anything bounce out done it for many years.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Local ride… I bottle of drink and tool bottle on the bike. Food, phone, key and cash in the rear pockets.

Long ride… Two drinks on the bike and the contents of the tool bottle moved to the pockets.

Some rear pockets can hold a vast amount of stuff.

monkfish
    Free Member

Most shirts have 3 pockets that can carry all you need without the need for a rule breaking saddle bag 🙂

I have a Lezeyne caddy sac that I put my phone, cash and a credit card in. Just putting a phone in a pocket leaves it subject to the ravages of sweat.

mattsccm
    Free Member

2 tubes, small tool and chain links in very small saddle bag. Fiver and 2 munchy bars in 1 pocket. Pump under bottle cage. Room for all the kit you need in pockets. WTH take a phone?
    the missus likes me to take my driving licence for id but I often don’t.

oldgit
    Free Member

A good fitting jersey should take all you need.
    Two tubes, two gas and inflator, cash, levers, phone and three bit’s of food, no problem at all.
    I only took the phone today as I had to collect my wife. Otherwise I can’t see why you need to jibber jabber whilst on a ride.

Edit as above why?

dknwhy

I have one of these for a tube and levers
    Continental saddle bag

Barely notice it on the bike.

Multi tool goes in pocket. Pump on frame and phone etc goes in my pocket in a 1L dry bag.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Howies’ cycling jerseys have a nice zip pocket on the back. That plus a saddle pack does me.

jonba
    Free Member

Some jerseys do some don’t. I carry most things in a small saddle bag or one of those bottles on the bike. Depends on how much water you need. Personally I don’t like to cram my pockets full of stuff and I will need tow bottles on a regular non stop 80+ mile weekend ride.

I generally try to keep hard pointy things out of my jersey in case I crash. ziplock bag with my phone, £10 note, key in one pocket and it is fine. Most pockets are elasticated and you don’t jump around on a road bike so nothing falls out. In fact, nothing falls out on the three peaks or mountain biking either.

scotroutes

The advantage of a saddle bag is that your multi-tool, tube, levers etc. are always fitted on the bike so you’re not (wasting riding time) looking for them before you go.

Northwind

mattsccm – Member

WTH take a phone?

“Hi, I’m in the middle of nowhere and I just had my third puncture (insert other mechanical here), can you come and pick me up?” Beats walking 20 miles in road shoes.

rp16v
    Free Member

Saddle bag and tri bag for me now and then I may rock a bumbag…. I’m really not cool

oldgit
    Free Member

“Hi, I’m in the middle of nowhere and I just had my third puncture (insert other mechanical here), can you come and pick me up?” Beats walking 20 miles in road shoes.

True.

Yet to ever happen. Touches wood.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve used my phone twice:

“I’ve got a massive hole in my tyre, come get me please!”

And:

“I’m in an ambulance going to hospital, come get me please!”

Why wouldn’t you carry a phone?!

Northwind

I mostly use mine to say “I’ll be late home”, which averts ambulance trips.

jonba
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    The advantage of a saddle bag is that your multi-tool, tube, levers etc. are always fitted on the bike so you’re not (wasting riding time) looking for them before you go.

I own one multitool and 5 bikes – I can never find the bloody thing.

DanW
    Free Member

Everything Househusband said really.

A normal road jersey will easily carry everything you ever need.

2 bottles on the frame to be refilled en route if riding for a long time
    Pocket 1:
    Park tyre lever, small penknife, zip ties and smallest Topeak pump velcroed together
    Small plastic Park box which a puncture repair kit came in filled with random spares (all bolts, spare cable, links, etc)
    Pocket 2:
    Topeak multi tool with chainbreaker
    Park Super Patches and house key slotted inside the neoprene case of the multi tool
    Inner tubes (can also be taped under the saddle in drier weather)
    Pocket 3:
    Phone in a watertight zip bag some Castelli arm warmers came in
    £10 note and bank card in phone case
    Gels

More than enough stuff for a bimble on the road an much less obtrusive in jersey pockets than it sounds. Nothing has ever fallen out on the MTB or road.

Conversely, putting everything in jersey pockets means you have to check everything properly before you leave and you avoid assuming everything is in a saddle bag only to find the one thing you need is missing because you removed it the night before when getting the bike ready for the next day 😳

iain65
    Free Member

I use one of the kids old phones, it is tiny and weighs nothing with a pay as you go SIM card in it, much better than crashing on or sweat ingressing a nice smart phone.

Other items are a tube, pump and a tenner, reckon I can fix anything with that lot, or wait up at a pub while the cavalry comes!

stevious

I use a saddle bag for multi-tool and spare tube because:
    – I don’t want to land on a multi-tool if I fall off.
    – I hate ‘the rules’.

oldgit
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you carry a phone?!

Because no one would come and get me 😥

iainc

Pockets here too. Middle one has a lezyne caddy sack with 2 tubes, hexus, power link, patches, levers, disposable gloves and separately a small lezyne pump. Right side one has waterproof bag, with phone (in a neoprene case) house or car key, cash/card. Left side one has waterproof if required and food. 1 or 2 bottles on bike depending on ride duration.

warton
    Free Member

It’s got to be Rapha

seriously, I take it on every ride. money, phone and key in here, in a pocket, tools and tube in a saddle bag, gels etc in the other pockets

DanW
    Free Member

Why would anyone take the Mick out of such a cute man purse? 🙂

warton
    Free Member

😳

I have the white one, so it’s only slightly purse like

mattsccm
    Free Member

And when does anything important happen that needs phone? Knock on a door.

iainc

That Rapha bag looks useful. Its like a posh version of the zipped lezyne one, only 4 times the price 🙂 shame lezyne stopped making that one, I’m glad I bought 3 of them though !

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lezyne caddy sack here, one big one for tools, tube and CO2, and a small one for phone and notes.

That Rapha bag is nice… but 45 quid 😯 and just noticed it’s not actually waterproof.

TiRed

Had two of those Lezyne bags – velcro destroyed them and they are now junk. So I invested £1.88 in two of these. Perfect. Head down to Ryman. The small size holds two tubes, two CO2 and nanoflate, a microtool, two gloves, a Topeak carbon pump and some instant patches.

Hi, I’m in the middle of nowhere and I just had my third puncture

Hence the instant patches.

andytherocketeer

WTH take a phone?

Has the app for the local public transport service on it.
    Finds me the nearest tram stop in an emergency, tells me how long I’ll have to wait, and lets me buy an e-ticket.

Usually have a handful of €2 coins in the saddlepack too. Enough for tram ticket and/or ice-cream.

Most of my long sleeve jerseys have a zipped 4th pocket. Short sleeve ones don’t. Might need to rectify that.

Also intending to go out a bit more with a more minimalist amount of kit.

IanW
    Free Member

I use something similar to those pencil cases. There re enforced (sort of cross cross string within the plastic) zipped pouches. You can get them for a couple of quid from Rymans or the TheRange type places.
    I’ve got a co2, lever, couple of hex keys, patches, aspirin and a chain link and tool in a pack about the size of a packet of fags.
    Having said that I’ve carried it and a tube for 12 months and several thousand miles without using it. Quality tyres and a well maintained bike is the secret IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Roadie question (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.