Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • roadie question i know, but… anyone done the dartmoor classic 100miler ?
  • ajantom

Blimey, just downloaded the gpx file of the Grande course, and put it into Bikehike……10,730ft of climbing 😆 That’s a fair old whack!

Just had a look at the ‘medal’ times. As I’m a Vet now, under 6:45 is the gold medal cutoff. So about a 16mph average. Sounds do-able!

timnoyce
    Free Member

I did the ride last year and it was great. Was my first 100 mile ride and so I took it very steady but it was ok. I’ve signed up again for next year and hope to complete the ride a bit quicker!

Suprised no one has mentioned the quality of the feed stations yet. Amazing. I probably ate £40 worth of decent food. Pie, cakes, drinks, energy bars etc made it worth cycling up to Princetown for (twice!)

As has been mentioned. The last bit is mostly all downhill, but worth keeping a bit in the tank so that you can really smash that decent and enjoy it!

timnoyce
    Free Member

Also worth noting that it’s now sold out. I applied to go on the waiting list yesterday morning, but then got an email within the hour to say that a space had become available so all is not lost!

ransos
    Free Member

Lol, not trolling, you just sit there and turn the pedals and get to the top. If you’ve got proper gearing its not even any harder than the flat, you just go slower.

I fitted some lower gears for La Marmotte but still found it quite tough. When I say “quite tough” I mean “hardest day I’ve ever had on the bike”. Obviously I need to MTFU.

timnoyce
    Free Member

None of the climbs are brutally steep…there are just lots of them. I rode it with a 34-28 bottom gear last year and that was sufficient for me. As with all these events there will be lots of people riding a lot slower and also a lot of people who are moving a lot faster than you!

fifeandy
    Free Member

I fitted some lower gears for La Marmotte but still found it quite tough. When I say “quite tough” I mean “hardest day I’ve ever had on the bike”. Obviously I need to MTFU.

Well clearly 5000m climbing is a lot by anyone’s standard, but those really are the definition of long steady climbs – if you’ve got the correct gearing to do so, there’s no reason you cant climb them at bottom of zone3, then it just becomes about having the endurance to sit and pedal for ~10hrs.
    What makes it hard is pushing for a gold standard and/or adverse (both hot and cold) weather conditions.

ransos
    Free Member

Well clearly 5000m climbing is a lot by anyone’s standard, but those really are the definition of long steady climbs – if you’ve got the correct gearing to do so, there’s no reason you cant climb them at bottom of zone3, then it just becomes about having the endurance to sit and pedal for ~10hrs.

If I’d done those climbs “at the bottom of zone 3” I’d still be there now!

TiRed

None of the climbs are brutally steep

The climb out of Dartmeet is 20-25%, Tell me what passes for Brutally steep? It’s not that long, though.

I recommend not taking a cake stop at Badger’s Holt. You might see it again as you head up the hill! 😆

jam-bo

You don’t do dartmeet on the classic though.

Holne chase and batteridge Hill are the two steep ones

fifeandy
    Free Member

As in?
    https://www.strava.com/segments/1489902
    https://www.strava.com/segments/11953804

If those are the steep ones its hardly worth fitting a low gear as it amounts to ~1mile of steepish incorporating ~0.2mi of proper steep.

jam-bo

It’s getting boring now. When you come and do it let us know how awesome you were.

timnoyce
    Free Member

Dartmoor Classic Grande

This was my Strava for the ride last year. I basically rode it solo after the first visit to Princetown as my buddy decided to drop to the Medio. There was nothing in there which I recall now as being too bad. (although my memory is somewhat efficient at glazing over the finer details if they were too unpleasant!)

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I do agree that most of the climbs are long and medium in gradient and can be spun up with the right gearing. I was just under 9 hours on my first attempt with a few cramp problems and some leisurely food stops also doing it solo.

Last year I was about an hour quicker due to riding with a buddie being fitter and really pushing on a full gas for the last 3rd from Princetown back to the end.

I have entered again this year and would dearly love to try for a silver time which I think for my age group is 7:20 which is going to involve a good bit more speed and very fast food stops. We will see how the training goes.

I personally find the typical dartmoor classic climbs much easier than the short steep climbs that can really take it out of my legs and it is an exercise in eating and drinking enough. As well as enough training rides to be comfortable on the bike for that length of time.

TiRed

You don’t do Dartmeet on the classic though.

Ah missed that. Just looked at the large scale no roads map! Pity 🙁

ransos
    Free Member

I have entered again this year and would dearly love to try for a silver time which I think for my age group is 7:20 which is going to involve a good bit more speed and very fast food stops. We will see how the training goes.

I find that as you get quicker, it becomes a virtuous cycle in that you don’t feel the need to stop as much, maybe because you spend less time in the saddle. I did a single 5 minute stop for Ride London, and kept a supply of food in a top tube bag for eating on the move.

fifeandy
    Free Member

It’s getting boring now. When you come and do it let us know how awesome you were.

It’s not about me being awesome – i’m not really even particularly fit.
    Loads of people get themselves into a flap about climbs like they are something special, and the reality is often its no different to riding into a moderate headwind.

I think a lot of people (certainly a lot I’ve ridden with) tend to try to attack every single climb they come across, and then of course they are hard, but the vast majority of the time there’s really no need, just sit and pedal.

There was nothing in there which I recall now as being too bad.

I personally find the typical dartmoor classic climbs much easier than the short steep climbs that can really take it out of my legs and it is an exercise in eating and drinking enough. As well as enough training rides to be comfortable on the bike for that length of time.

These guys seem to agree.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘roadie question i know, but… anyone done the dartmoor classic 100miler ?’ is closed to new replies.