Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • roadie question i know, but… anyone done the dartmoor classic 100miler ?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i see that entries open tomorrow, i’ve never done a sportive, i’ve hardly ridden a bike at all for 3 or 4 years (took up running), although i’ve done long hours in the saddle mtb rides/3 peaks cross etc i’ve never even come close to 100miles. i’ve read some reviews and they say its painful and hard.

but i’m tempted to whack an entry in to see what its all about, and as i’m in ride london a month later.

jam-bo

I’ve done the long route twice and the shorter route 3 times now.

The short route is harder than the ride London.

The long route is a bastard.

djflexure

I did the Kielder 100 a couple of times and it definitely needed decent preparation to ride 100 mile off road. I completed a reasonable number of road miles to get the base (not excessive though). I’d sign up for the shorter distance – you will probably enjoy it a bit more.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I’d sign up for the shorter distance – you will probably enjoy it a bit more.

thats not a bad idea, thanks, i’ll give it some thought. i’d certainly feel less pressure knowing its only 67miles. kicking myself i did’nt consider that option now.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Meh, a single day road century isn’t that hard, if you can train to ride 60mi you can get through the last 40mi on guts should you need to.

jam-bo

You can sign up for the longer one and drop to the shorter distance on the day. Doesn’t cost anymore

At the first feed station at princetown you can turn left back towards the finish for the short route or turn right for an extra 40mile loop down into tavi, out round the back of Brentor and then an monster 10 miles of climbing to get back to princetown for another round at the feed station and the same route as the short one back to the finish.

jam-bo

Meh, a single day road century isn’t that hard, if you can train to ride 60mi you can get through the last 40mi on guts should you need to.

It is with 10,000ft of climbing in it…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not really, hills are overrated.

jam-bo

So are trolls.

paton
    Free Member

A rather fine video of the 2016 Dartmoor Classic
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLqtZpjsFhk[/video]

fifeandy
    Free Member

Lol, not trolling, you just sit there and turn the pedals and get to the top. If you’ve got proper gearing its not even any harder than the flat, you just go slower.

djflexure

To be fair any hill can be hard if you are knackered – even flat can be hard if you are all out – which can happen within 100 miles if you are not used to it or otherwise physiologically unsuited.

I did not realise that it was on the road. Will be easier than off road as you can get in a group and share the work. I trained for the K100 off roads by doing 100’s on the road. On road 100’s are much more feasible – I got up to speed quite quickly riding with a club.

Still nothing wrong with the shorter distance this year as a stepping stone to 100 the next.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

all the hills round me (west cornwall) are short and steep, there is no flat, you are either up or down. i actually quite enjoy climbing hills, its one of my riding philosophies that a good hill is a challenge to be enjoyed, don’t let the hill win and all that. the prob i found when i went and did things like exmoor explorer was that i was’nt at all used to climbing for so long.

MoreCashThanDash

Looks a great event and I love that video. Shows (been edited to show?) the best the sport can offer – a great event raising money for good causes and run by very organised and committed volunteers giving back to the sport and community.

If Carlsberg organised mass participation sporting events….

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

yep, great video, hadnt seen that. makes me want to pick up the challenge of the 100 ride now though!

amedias
    Free Member

yes I’ve done it, it’s tough, but it’s supposed to be tough, doing it quickly is tougher.

crack on OP, it’ll give you a goal to work towards, it’s a great ride, on a great route with lovely scenery, most of the others doing it will be pleasant and friendly and you’ll feel good at the end, well, maybe a few hours after the end 😉

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I entered the 100-mile a couple of years ago and found it hard going, ended up chickening out and doing the 70. I wasn’t in the greatest shape, it has to be said but I’d racked up over 1000m climb in the first 50k IIRC.
    As I remember it, you’re either going uphill or downhill, not much chance to recover between climbs. I’ve done the Fred Whitton twice, and I found the Dartmoor ride harder because of this (let’s just say I don’t exactly have a racer’s build

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ll be retired by the time of the event, so no excuse to not do for me. 😕

jam-bo

I found the Fred Whitton harder than the classic but they are pretty close.

Entries are open and going fast. Probably be sold out by the end of the day.

I’m not doing it this year. Wife and her friend have decided they want to do it so me and junior will be standing by the side of the road with a cowbell at various parts of the moor.

jobro
    Free Member

I’m not doing it this year. Wife and her friend have decided they want to do it so me and junior will be standing by the side of the road with a cowbell at various parts of the moor.

I’m in on a priority entrance from last year. Will try and use the hills of North Devon as proxy training.

Jambo – trying to get Knottie to enter so we’ll look out for you and the young ‘un.

taxi25
    Free Member

Lol, not trolling, you just sit there and turn the pedals and get to the top. If you’ve got proper gearing its not even any harder than the flat, you just go slower.

so what gearing would you put on a road bike that would allow you to easily spin up 15-20% climbs ? I’d love to know what I’ve been doing wrong for 50yrs 😀

fifeandy
    Free Member

20%+ is always going to be hard without slapping on mtb gearing, however looking at the elevation profile of the course it looks to be mostly longer shallower climbs than repeated steep stuff.

I’d be happy with 34/32 to make 15% fairly comfortable.

jam-bo

There is plenty of steep stuff hiding in those nice shallow hills of dartmoor.

Dibbs
    Free Member

There is plenty of steep stuff hiding in those nice shallow hills of dartmoor.

+1 😯

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Well I got my entry kit, but thought they were asking what size coffee I wanted upon arrival so I said grande. ; ) same price as media like jam bo posted so listening to the advice agreed I could always miss the extra loop if needed.

I googled gearing for it last night, I was thinking keeping my regular 52 and popping a 36 on, keeping 12-27 on rear, but saw a few folk saying 50/34 11-28. But I can worry about all that next year, for now i need to spend the winter rekindling my love of cycling with lots of slow and steady on quiet back lanes.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve done the long route a couple of times, not for a few years though. It’s tough, on a very hot day last time out that last drag back up to Princetown nearly finished me off! It’s also the route where I’ve hit my top speed record. I found it harder than the Dragon Ride, with more shorter but steeper climbs- you can’t just sit and spin your way round.

Good day out, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Steep stuff

Oh yes, not helped by Mrs M powering through us with a “faster rider coming through” that properly ruined us.

She was on her ebike at the time.

djflexure

Signed up for the 100 as I’m co-incidentally down that way with work
    Might see you gav – re gearing – I got a 50-34 compact with 28 on the back this year. It was a great deal and I thought I would change the compact to more ‘manly gearing’. Funny thing is I’ve loved it. Perfect for this sort of event I would have thought. Otherwise just stick a 27 cassette on the back of what you have now.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be my choice for a first 100 miler, proper lumpy. Good luck if you do though.

singletrackmind

Having watched the video , I clicked on Grande as well.
    Done lots of 100’s but none as hilly.. Usually around 6 1/2 – 7hrs all in , so will be interesting to see how long this takes.
    Will be running a compact either way . Hed better not clash with 24/12 as Im s’posed to be doing that next year as well

TiRed

Entered the 100. A nice trip home for me. Rather like the hills myself. It is never flat. Will be on semi-compact 52/36 with a 28 on the back. Bike and rider are 75 kilos all up and I’ve ridden those hills on bigger gears.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be my choice for a first 100 miler,

you are probably right, but after doing the 3 peaks on a cross bike that i later found out was heaps to big for me, wearing mtb clothing, weighing 5 stone more than now, its all relative and 10 years on i’m shed loads fitter and more clued up how to prepare.

but i also do listen to advice, so maybe this as a 60 mile warm up then…

http://www.edenproject.com/visit/whats-on/eden-classic-sportive-cycling-event

jam-bo

And it’s 106 miles…

The hardest bit I find about the long one is riding past my front door at about 60 miles in.

The last 17 are pretty much downhill.

Alex

It was the one and only one of those rides I’ve ever done. Agreed to do it while a bit drunk with my bro who is a proper roadie. Didn’t do much training as I don’t like road riding but was fit from MTB. Not sure that helped! Really suffered last 30 miles. Got it done but everything hurt. For days afterwards. Riding flats on an MTB, just being clipped in for that long ruined me.

Lovely scenery tho. And fab organisation. We had a great day for it weather wise as well. When I recovered enough to operate a computer, I sold my road bike 🙂

YMMW etc 😉

greentricky
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up Op, always sold out before when I have tried to get a place. Just entered the 100, 16places left and 4 left for the 67miler so be quick if your considering it

patentlywill
    Free Member

one place left as of 30 secs ago!

ajantom

Thanks for the reminder, I always come to sign up and it’s full. Got in last night with 17 places left!
    Now to start doing some road miles!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I couldn’t even get on the website Saturday morning, when I entered on Saturday evening there were about 500 places left.

vinnyeh

Just took the second-to-last place 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘roadie question i know, but… anyone done the dartmoor classic 100miler ?’ is closed to new replies.