Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • (Roadie Q’s) Planet X / Brand X carbon frames – look very similar, but are they?
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a carbon road frame and like the look of the Planet X carbon SL Pro frame, which I’ve only heard good things about. However, I bumped into the Brand X carbon road frame on CRC the other day and that bears a striking resemblance – look at the head tube side profile, cable guides, BB junction etc. What do you reckon?

The sizing is a bit weird – but then I wonder if the CRC one is top tube length as opposed to the seat tube length of the Planet X one.

I also like the look of the new Ribble Sportive – has anyone got any experience of any of these yet?

wellhung
    Free Member

Thought PX owned the UK rights to their frame but the rest of the world they didn’t, hence why you see PX frames in Europe under other names. So don’t really think it’s the same although very similar. If your price driven buy the least expensive if you think you have any loyalty to PX/OO then buy accordingly, your money your choice. 🙂

myheadsashed

Get this months cycling plus they review loads of bikes/frames.

igm

Don’t know – but I’m pleased with my Planet X Pro Carbon and if you ask them nicely they’ll size you up on a turbo trainer and swap all the bits round to suit. OK not on the road itself but come on they’re a mail order company.

Of course I’m regularly on here defending / bigging up On-One and Planet X, so maybe I shouldn’t be trusted; but I do buy other places too. Though a bike and two frames from them over the last few years say at least I put my money where my mouth is.

daveplanetx
    Free Member

They are very different frames in both geometry and construction .

The CRC is not so compact , has extremely short top tube lengths , is a lugged carbon frame , and has an alloy steerer on the forks .

The planet X is very compact , has a nice long top tube (if you like nice long top tubes!, – we do and so do our team riders that have raced and tested this frame) , is full monocoque construction , and has full carbon fork .

Quite different .

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Dave – thank you. Very informative and much appreciated. I was very conscious not to compare too hard, and from what you say there clearly is a difference. Thanks for your post.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘(Roadie Q’s) Planet X / Brand X carbon frames – look very similar, but are they?’ is closed to new replies.