Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Roadie Q – tubs, can they be repaired?
  • andyfb78
    Free Member

If I get a puncture in a set of road tubular tyres. can this be fixed? can it be doen on the road side?
    or do I just have to throw the tubs away?

Ta

mattsccm
    Free Member

Not on the roadside. You carry a spare. At home yes or send them off. 1 or 2 new ones are tubless and fix with a can. Less likely to puncture IMHO

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you are using cheap tubs then not worth repairing ….

how ever if your using 150 quid sprinter tubs (why you would on the road i dunno) then they can be repaired for about 8 quid iirc

andyfb78
    Free Member

I have two conti sprinters on my race bike, and had punctures last weekend at an event on the road (tyres up to pressure so just bad luck).

bit worried about this occuring in a race where I'm not allowed tech assistance, never punctured a tub before, but always carried spares in long races. bit stuck if I got three punctures though….

hmmm maybe it IS time to move to clinchers then…. can always carry sticky patches…AND tubes….

andyfb78
    Free Member

oh they are not 150 squid sprinters, mor elike £35-40, but they are road tyres, not track tyres.

I do long-course Tri so don't wan't to have to give up coz I puncture 110 miles into the bike after all that work…

but they do ride really nicely though and feel good at 120psi.

oldgit
    Free Member

AS all the above, and best to carry a spare one that's been used so it's stretched and has a bit of glue on it.

I wondered about tubs for racing, but it's been twenty years since I last raced them, but I'm sure I can remember them having a good light ride plus if I puncture in a race I'd call it a day.
    The other downside is ultra long rides with the chances of multiple punctures, though that seems rare these days.

grahamh
    Free Member

From what I can remember (60's 70's), unstitch the tub, fix the puncture.
    Stitch the tub back up, trying not to put the needle though the
    inner tube.
    [meerkat]simples[/meerkat]

Sam

I've been using Caffelatex sealant in my (mountain) tubs and have not punctured yet. In fact it fixed a tyre which had previously been punctured (when it didn't have sealant) so I'd certainly recommend it.

crikey
    Free Member
    andyfb78
    Free Member

Thanks, but yes.

It is just that the only race wheels I have (mates rates bargain from a now-pro rider), are tubs and I'm unsure as to whether i need to stump up the cash for some others, especially if there is a new tubs if they puncture repair bill to allow for.
    I am not fast enough to worry about the performance differences against the clock, but the feel fast so go fast psychological effect def works for me…

Ta

cynic-al
    Free Member

..You do know tubs aren't really all that?

Ever ridden them? They feel great.

Anyway where's your proof that rotating weight isn't significant?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Q – tubs, can they be repaired?’ is closed to new replies.