Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Roadie Q. Roadie shoes, but roadie or MTB pedals?
  • MicArms

OK, As part of my ongoing dabbling in the roady tosser club, took another step further with purchase of some roadie shoes and pedals.

Thing is, the shoes( Shimnao R077) have the 3 bolt cleat drilling for the roadie cleats , and the 2 bolt MTB style drilling too..

So, do I go for what I know , MTB pedals and get the adaptor plate, or whole hog, and fit the roadie pedals too?

Only reason I got the road shoes was for the extra stiffness of the sole. Road bike is currently on commuting duties ( until the bad weather hits then the winter commuter MTB special comes out) and the quick 2 hour blasts on the days off.

Militant_biker

Personally, I preferred road pedals – more foot support, less rolling around. Downside is the single sidedness of the pedal, so stop-start riding is a bit harder.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

If your dabbling stick with spds!! Ive ridden with looks and good old 520s and prefer the latter even for100 mileres!

HTTP404
    Free Member

I use road touring SPD pedals with road shoes.
    Like Shimano PD-A520.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for road pedals for the same reasons as Militant_biker above. Maybe it’s psychological but I just prefer them for road use.

Whatever you decide take some time to set them up properly (pedals, shoes, bike and cleats) and remember that changing pedal systems may also require a small adjustment to saddle height.

radoggair
    Free Member

erm… road shoes, then road pedals

Feels better, looks better and designed for that job

goldenwonder
    Free Member

It’s all in ‘the rules’

Rule #34 / Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place.
    On a mountain bike.

From here
    http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules

wallop

I changed from MTB SPDs to the Shimano A520s – much more comfortable, and my knee problem disappeared too! Might be a coincidence of course, or it might not be….

mrmo
    Free Member

If your getting the shoes, just get the pedals as well,

devon_roadie
    Free Member

Roadie pedals definitely. Bigger platform to get that power down

rootes1

roadie up and be done with it!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Use platform spds and shimano winter boots! Gets right up the roadies noses!

Water
    Free Member

Hi Dr. Nick!

Erm… Road pedals of course!

Haze

Stick the Spd’s on for a bit, then buy some proper pedals and wonder why you didn’t do it sooner 🙂

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Gubbins plastic look cleats wear out all the time harumph!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Q. Roadie shoes, but roadie or MTB pedals?’ is closed to new replies.