Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Roadie Q: Any reason to buy a more expensive chain than Shimano 105?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Need a new chain for my SRAM drivetrain, I can find Shimano 105 for £15 which seems to be the best bang for buck.

My Q: Is there any reason to buy a more expensive chain?

I can also get Ultegra for £20, SRAM 1030 for £20 and there are options from KMC and Wipperman but I don't know much about them.

finbar
    Free Member

I always buy KMC chains because the joining pins in Shimano chains do my nut in – just a thought…

sofatester
    Free Member

20 miles is a long walk in cleats. By SRAM.

dmiller
    Free Member

I always buy KMC chains because the joining pins in Shimano chains do my nut in – just a thought…

Yah – KMC has never let me down. With Shimano I twatted my nuts off my stem once when I was out of the saddle climbing on the commute and the chain snapped. I fell into the road, in tears, unable to speak for 10 minutes while the woman who was driving behind me (and thankfully missed me) kept trying to explain that she hadn't hit me in front of a surprisingly aggressive Glasgow audience…

poppa
    Free Member

Ok, which KMC chain(s) fit the bill then? Are there any I should avoid?

poppa
    Free Member

bum pity

dmiller
    Free Member

I just get whatever is between £10 and £20 at the time of ordering.

On the basis that less than £10 might be a weak chain* and I refuse to spend more than £20 on a chain.

*this is in my head. may not be real.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Q: Any reason to buy a more expensive chain than Shimano 105?’ is closed to new replies.