Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Roadie* Pertex shell, HiVis YAY or NAY?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

As the title asks really, I know it makes sense, but I do like black clothing.

If it’s bad weather I’ll have my rear lamp to irritate drivers and jackets have reflective strip as standard no matter the colour. SO STW Help me decide, my head says yes but my inner stealth lover says no.

*Sorry about starting another roadie related thread.

druidh
    Free Member

High viz works for me.

RustySpanner

I wouldn’t, not for a road jacket.

I think it’s a lot harder to spot a rider in a black jacket than a bright one in most circumstances, but you may value fashion far more highly than I do. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nowt reflective on the black one?

carbon337
    Free Member

I just can’t buy high viz for roading although that yellowy coloured Rapha jacket looks nice.

High viz screams sports direct even though I know it makes sense.

sputnik
    Free Member

Go for the black.
    You got a light and reflective strip, shoes usually have reflective bits too.

footflaps

I commute in High-Viz in winter / dull days. Didn’t used to, but it just makes so much more sense, you can spot Altura Night Vision riders miles away.

oldgit
    Free Member

Or orange or red or blue. Black does look cool though. I chose red as it’s for poor weather, mist, fog, rain, snow etc.

eyerideit
    Free Member

BTW this jacket is for training/longer road rides and not commuting, on dull days I’ll take my rear light

cynic-al – both jackets have the same amount of reflective stuff.

or

eyerideit
    Free Member

Oldgit, it’s not available in other bright colours – just yellow.

jonba
    Free Member

I actually have both as I didn’t like wearing the black one on the road.

If the weather gets bad on a ride reflective might not help as cars might not have lights on.

It does look a little bit sports direct but I decided I’d rather be seen than run over.

I ride a lot on my own so not a huge number of people see me and I don’t have a group of riders around me making me more obvious to cars.

spooky_b329

HiVis yellow/orange for daytime.

Reflectives/scotchlite for after dark.

A black top with reflectives is next to useless in the daytime, and hi vis yellow without reflectives is useless after dark.

footflaps

The closest I’ve ever come to killing someone was (almost) running over a cyclist at night, all in black on a black bike with no lights. If the passenger hadn’t spotted them at the last minute, they’d be dead.

I wear a white gillet/windshell…. still quite visible, more stylish than hi viz imho

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Do you rather be a fashion victim or alive

crazy-legs

I go for red or blue on road usually although if the weather is even slightly grey, I’ll usually have my Exposure Flare rear light on as well. I prefer to rely on the light than the clothing to be honest.

eyerideit
    Free Member

White, now that’s an idea 😀

But I don’t think I’d keep it pristine for long on these dirty Essex roads.

ballsofcottonwool – Member
    Do you rather be a fashion victim or alive

That’s my conundrum, cool and dead or ‘Sports Direct’ and alive. I’m leaning towards the latter – even though it pains me.

Bez

Face it, if you’re wearing it it’s raining so you’re going to be wet and wearing a load of lycra – about as stylish as a crusty arse pimple no matter what colour you’re in. Hi-vis wins for foul-weather road kit.

RustySpanner

Jesus, the vanity of some people knows no bounds. 🙂

A few years ago I bet the same people were paying over the odds specifically for brightly coloured kit.
    Of course, then it was ‘flouro’ and highly fashionable………

yunki
    Free Member

High viz screams sports direct even though I know it makes sense.

I love this comment.. it’s just so… errr, what’s the word that I’m looking for here..?

EDIT: vacuous

FuzzyWuzzy

Hi-viz for me to, as others have said it’s the dull daytime/evening conditions (where chances are you won’t have a light on) that wearing black/grey is dodgy (and cars won’t have lights on so reflectives are pointless). Black/grey looks just as cheap as hi-viz to me anyway…

rewski
    Free Member

I just can’t buy high viz Rapha for roading although that yellowy coloured Rapha sports direct jacket looks nice.

High viz black screams sports direct Rapha even though I know it makes sense.

I’m sure we all drive, next time have a look at which cyclists you can spot easily.

iainc

I went for a bright yellow Endura Pakajak – sod fashion, I wanna be seen !

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Roadie* Pertex shell, HiVis YAY or NAY?’ is closed to new replies.