Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Roadie needing buyer's remorse ironed out
  • barters
    Free Member

Hey guys, so a bit of background on me. I am an experienced roadie: put in on average 10,000 km per year, take part in sportives such as Haute Route, & place top 10%. My current road bike is a 2015 S Works Tarmac which I ride fully slammed.

I lived in Geneva 2011-2015 & returned to London last Sept…..only to confirm that I didn’t like it here as much as Geneva & I am heading back there to live permanently in 2 weeks time!

When I lived before in Geneva I always regretted not doing more MTB riding. I did it once (forest, fire roads) in Czech Rep with the family & really liked it.

So now that I am heading back I decided to take advantage of a sale on in Evans Cycles & bought a Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 (2016). Bike looks great. Position feels good & is comfortable to ride (with a huge amount of seat post showing). However, I am thinking that as I probably would like to do events like this http://www.eigerbike.ch I got a bike that is a bit on the “downhill” side. Should I try to take it back for a different bike?

Many thanks!

mboy
    Free Member

The Trek Fuel EX 9.8 is not a DH bike… But if you mean it prioritises descending ability above climbing, then you might be right. Would say that if you’ve bought and used it, taking it back is out of the question and/or will leave you badly off financially though.

Personally, I’d just ride it any enjoy…

barters
    Free Member

You can take it back within 30 days.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You sound awesome.I approve.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I think a bike like yours is a good compromise and the closest to a “do it all” bike you can get.

Use the suspension lockout for events like that Eiger thing and have fun.

andyl
    Free Member

just looked it up, carbon fibre full suspension with 120mm travel. Sounds perfect for long rides across alipine terrain to me. Yes you could get a carbon 29er hard tail which will be silly light and quicker but I would suggest getting one of those AS WELL as most of the time the Trek will be a LOT more fun.

Worst case buy some light weight, not too wide wheels and fit some nice light tyres for the XC events and save the nice high volume heavy tyres for fun rides.

A modern full suspension frame won’t be that inefficient to ride and the added comfort will help reduce fatigue.

barters
    Free Member

I think you are right. Start with this bike enter some events, if I am frustrated that the bike is slowing me down & know that I am going to stick at MTB (my roadie pals are worried about me….) then I can look at a HD.

A question on the shocks. The guy in the store told me it would wreck the shocks if I rode them on locked out on flats continuously. He said that setting was to be reserved purely for climbing sections.

tthew

Barters, you’re trying too much to directly replicate your road riding ethos/style to the MTB. It’s a massive difference, stick with the bike you have. It’ll probably be faster than an out and out XC flying machine, (at least while you build up your skills level) as you’ll be more in control, less fatigued, less likely to crash.

Don’t slam the stem, much more movement on the bike rather than still upper body, definitely use the suspension.

chiefgrooveguru

As soon as you hit any bumps suspension rolls faster – only lock the suspension on tarmac. Sounds the ideal bike for that event and much else!

wilburt
    Free Member

What was the question again, “can I return a bike that I dont think is quite what I’m looking for” or “will I die riding a bike slightly off niche” ? I lost track during the preamble.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you are GW and i claim my £5

ahwiles
    Free Member

If I was moving to Geneva, and needed a bike for riding up and down Alps, a trek fuel would be on the shortlist. Anything ‘racier’ is best kept for racing, imho.

wallop

Any seconds lost on the ups will be more than made up for on the downs!

oldnpastit

It looks rubbish and totally inappropriate for what you need.

I’m prepared to buy it off you for £50, as a special favour.

barters
    Free Member

Cheers for the input guys (well, most of you).

Bike seems nice & a good all rounder to start off with. I think it will be able to get me round most courses. Like in road it will probably take me a few years to figure out what works best with my favoured kind of riding.

finbar
    Free Member

I am an experienced roadie: put in on average 10,000 km per year, take part in sportives such as Haute Route, & place top 10%. My current road bike is a 2015 S Works Tarmac which I ride fully slammed.

*swoons*

barters
    Free Member

Yeah, the preamble was just to establish the kind of rider I currently am. I will not apologise if it makes me sound like kind of a big deal.

geoffj

I will not apologise if it makes me sound like kind of a big deal.

😆

alextemper
    Free Member

Pretty much an ideal bike for what you’re to do. Expect to be knocked back down to earth a little when you see your average speeds tumble.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“place” in a Sportiv?

What has happened to the world?

“will my high end xc bike, bought cheap, work in a DH/Enduro event” – unless you are realy good mtb rider, no.

TBF this thread is a gift that will keep giving

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought the original post was supposed to be in the ‘middle class’ thread.

I will not apologise if it makes me sound like kind of a big deal

It doesn’t, so no need to apologise.

barters
    Free Member

Thanks for all the constructive feedback/criticism.

I will shortly be back to ask about suspension set ups for a rider with a FTP of 4.5w/kg.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Roadie needing buyer's remorse ironed out’ is closed to new replies.