Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Roadie mudguards? – no clearance in seatstay bridge
  • nedrapier

Afternoon dear potential assitants,

Wifey’s bike has zero room in the seatstay for raceblades or owt like them, and would like full mudguards. I think it does have eyelets though – 07 Dolce Elite. I’ve seen some which have a little metal joining strip that goes under the seatstay bridge, but I don’t think there’s even room for that.

Has anyone with the same problem found a solution?

Cheers!

bails

Smaller tyres?

crikey
    Free Member

The commercial option is the crudguard racer guards, the billy-bodge it option is to split a mudguard, use an angle piece to attach the back bit and another angle piece to attach the front bit.

Depends how much you like your wife really.

funkrodent

Buy a new bike with sufficient clearance for mudguards? 😉

Smaller tyres? EDIT – bails got there first!

Clip on mudguards? These are a bit marmite, some love them, some hate them, they’re sometimes a bit fiddly and prone to shifting position onto the tyre whilst riding. This article runs through the usual suspects – http://www.cyclingactive.com/bikesgear/7-of-the-best-clip-on-mudguards#

I had the same issue with a Cannondale that I bought. The fact that it got nicked solved the problem as I now have a Kinesis that’ll take 28mm tyres and guards. If she just wants to stay dry and isn’t too concerned about how it looks, then cut down crudguards on the downtube and on the seatpost worked really well, but negates using a rack, but I guess it’s not the kind of bike to have a rack anyway. No good for group rides either as you’ll hose down whoever is behind you.. 😀

legend
    Free Member

prone to shifting position onto the tyre whilst riding

Crud RoadRacers are infuriating for this! Even the wind can push them onto the tyre, and don’t even consider accidentally touching them with a toe when stopped

takisawa2

Just ordered some of these for mine. £27.
    Giant Defy guards.

Haze

SKS do some guards similar to those above, race blade long I think.

Been toying with the idea of a pair for my Nanolight, in the absence of a proper winter bike for club runs.

bluebird
    Free Member

SKS do some guards similar to those above, race blade long I think.

I have these set-up on a Lemond Versaille. The frame has next to no clearance but they work really well.

speaker2animals

I know of a Specialized Concept store that fit the Giant guards above when thier customers want guards on their “racers”. Speaks volumes to me, n’est pas.

tonyd

Those Giant ones look very good. I’ve got some Crud roadracers on my Storck, the rear is OK with 23mm tyres but the front is a real squeeze. roadracers are all that would fit and I had to fettle those a bit.

IanW
    Free Member

You say “no room for race blades” but the original race blades are clip on and don’t go into the chain stay arch so need no room. Race blade longs probably provide more protection, they look like the defy copies pictured above but do need some if only a little chain stay space.

I just picked up set of original race blades for £20 from Halfords they seem well made, fitted in seconds to my old racer with 25mm tyres and look just the job.

Kahurangi

+1 for Race Blade Longs

Gribs

Normal race blades will certainly fit and are very effective, but they’re incredibly easy to knock out of position.

nedrapier

Cool, thanks everyone, thanks for the clarification on the race blade option. I’ll have a look through these and report back. I want to leave her with the 28s because the road are pretty awful. The frame was a present from a friend, so that’s staying, and racks aren’t an issue, it’s mainly a commuter with seatpost bag. If we go touring, I’ll be the one with the load!

Crikey, I like her very much indeed, but I laughed a lot at that, thanks!

tomhoward

+100000000 for raceblade longs.

Whoever thought the crud ones were a good idea was having a laugh.

bob_summers

Any recommendations for guards to fit a bike with track ends* and no rear brake hole?

*ie wheel has to come out backwards to fix a flat, so guard needs to be easy to take off.

rOcKeTdOg

Do u need eyelets for the raceblade longs?

DezB
    Free Member

Crud RoadRacers are infuriating for this!

Never had a problem!

Good thing about Cruds too is you can cut them to fit… my last carbon frame they wouldn’t fit under the bridge, so I snipped em off and they were fine.

legend
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Do u need eyelets for the raceblade longs?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Nope

damitamit
    Free Member

If you want to fit normal guards and bridge the seatstay bridge you can chop the guard and use 2x the right angle bracket out of this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/blackburn-blackburn-mtn-1-rear-rack-fitting-kit-prod25871/

Better to ask in the LBS for just the one bracket. I got them for a couple of quid.

Works like this:

IanW
    Free Member

One commute in and very happy with the standard race blades …

And the front

Haze

I couldn’t squeeze the short sections of my Race Blade Longs on to my Nanolight, the main parts weren’t a problem but there just wasn’t enough clearance under the front caliper or under the seat stay bridge.

First ride on them yesterday and they were hassle free, still got a bit of crap on the bike (probably down to the missing bits) but got home with a dry arse. Front was still throwing a fair bit onto the BB shell, may make a longer flap from an old bottle.

I guess they’re not throwing too much water around which will keep the old boys happy on the club run.

TiRed

IanW. Put some protection under the rubbers. You will find that the micro-vibrations will rub the paint and lacquer off the frame.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Roadie mudguards? – no clearance in seatstay bridge’ is closed to new replies.