Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roadie holiday in April(ish) – where?
  • Leku
    Free Member

A mate is turning 40 and his wife has suggested a weeks holiday somewhere warm to do some road cycling.

She’s asked me for ideas but I know nothing of the dark side.

I’m assuming somewhere like Majorca? Any recommendations? Flying from Bristol.

crazy-legs

Weather in Majorca seems to be quite erm…variable at that time of year. For some reason it’s got this reputation as a road cycling mecca, personally I’ve never really thought much of the place. But hey, it must be popular for a reason…

South of Spain is great at that time of year (fly to Malaga) although there’s often snow on the really high ground until May. I’ve always really liked Sardinia as well (fly to Alghero or Cagliari).

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

majorca…its ace,easy jet flite/cheap digs/awesome roads/cafes and usually a selection of pro teams to look at

Leku
    Free Member

Any guide companies I can check out?

crazy-legs

Any guide companies I can check out?

Not that much guiding is really needed for road riding but I’ve been out with Freeride Spain a few times for both MTB and road. Click on the “RoadRide Spain” link.

Sometimes the guide would come out riding with us, other times he’d just give us a list of villages/road names which was dead easy to navigate.

Sardinia, Majorca and when I’ve been in the Alps/Pyrenees, we just did self guiding and never had any problems.

Another company well worth checking out is AQR – more MTB orientated but they do some Road biking weeks and again, there’s always the option of just using the guides for their knowledge and going riding without them – navigation tends to be pretty simple.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Portugal is another option I would recommend Ive done couple of training camps in the past there.

Rorschach
    Free Member
    aP
    Free Member

Pyractif have a spring warm weather road week in southern Spain. It was quite warm this year.

Leku
    Free Member

Having done a couple of mountain bike euro trips I think it was more the staying with a set of like minded people rather than being ‘guided’.

Stuart Hall looks good.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Check out Pro Cycle Hire in Mallorca – good kit, daily rides, nice guys – recommended. Oh, and the roads / mountains / food / beaches / people are great.

vd

Belgium! RVV followed by Paris – Roubaix. Beer great , so you won’t worry about the weather

mudsux
    Free Member

The region around Marbella. Easy to get to. Easy to hire some (half decent) road bikes (Marbella Rent-a-bike). Straightforward, scenic routes. And mountainous.

jota180
    Free Member

Lanzarote has a great climate and the roads to match
    There’s a good few training camps run there too, I think Sky use it

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Please consider us for road riding
    http://www.bikingandalucia.com/roadcycling.asp
    better climate, quieter roads with more passes, and cheaper than Mallorca!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roadie holiday in April(ish) – where?’ is closed to new replies.