Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Roadie help please…..
  • finners

I have a triple chainset and want to change to a double. can i still use the same front mech and sti brake/gear lever? apologies if this is a stupid question 🙂

Ed2001
    Free Member

I am no workshop guru but as I understand it .If shimano you need new sti triple lever and new front mech ( I think a double may work but may struggle if your middle ring is a lot smaller than your big ring) you will also need long cage rear mech if you haven’t already got one.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Yes! Just adjust the inner end stop to prevent the chain dropping onto the smaller front cog. My old road bike was factory built and supplied this way.

Triple chainring cranks do use a longer front and rear mech plus a slightly longer chain. Double chainset mechs are obviously lighter, but not compatible with a triple chainset configuration.

MrSmith
    Free Member

will the trimming still work with the front shifter?

Spongebob
    Free Member

will the trimming still work with the front shifter?

yes, but you can still select the little gear. You just get a loose cable. Shimano don’t make a dedicated double chainset STI lever. The shifter works exactly as it would if there were three chainrings present.

finners

thats great, cheers guys. especially Spongebob. very helpful…

crikey
    Free Member

Rear mech will be fine!

Going from double to triple will need a longer mech because more chain needs taking up. Going from triple to double should work fine as is.

njee20
    Free Member

Actually some STIs are double/triple specific (Ultegra 6500 and Dura-Ace 7700/7800 off the top of my head, plus others), but not that many, you may lose the trimming position, but it’ll work.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Sorry finners I didnt read your thread properly and thought you were going from double to triple not the other way round.

finners

ha ha,no worries Ed2001.it confused me a little, but i was just going to blame the Wolf Blass! 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Roadie help please…..’ is closed to new replies.