Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roadie; decent packable gilet
  • lee170
    Free Member

I’ve ditched the idea of a waterproof jacket for when I’m on the road bike, thinking a decent gilet will suffice. I have a pearl Izumi one that’s a few years old now so could do with replacing.
    I’m after a packable waterproof(ish) warm gilet. Must be able to pack into jersey pocket.
    Nothing stupidly priced, so around £50 give or take a little.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Sportful hot pack is probably your best bet for fairly waterproof, and still relatively breathable while packing up tiny.

Or if you want to be a bit more stylish Morvelo have a sale. They don’t pack as small and aren’t as waterproof, but a bit more breathable and fairly warm: http://www.morvelo.com/men/hemisphere-gilets

MoreCashThanDash

See if Stolen Goat have any left in their sale, mine is very nice, if a little snug after Christmas…..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Castelli fawesome is my next gilet.. Think the are on sale at wiggle

lee170
    Free Member

Some good shouts, thanks
    Castelli at discounted price is favourable

TiRed

I’ve ditched the idea of a waterproof jacket for when I’m on the road bike

May I ask why? You do know that you don’t have to store them in a back pocket, don’t you? I fold mine as I would a shirt (in half by arms), tuck the arms in, fold again into a long sausage, fold in half lengthways and place under my jersey beneath the rear pockets. Mavic H20. Taped seams, absolutely waterproof (to the point of being hosed down to clean it off whilst cleaning the bike), light and visible. in fact it is just excellent.

I also might choose to wear a gilet for wind protection, but my nice winter tops are already windproof.

If you must, Castelli are nice.

lee170
    Free Member

I have been carrying a waterproof with me, but when I’ve had to put it on, within 5 mins I’m red hot, I have a fairly good jacket. I think I’m gonna go down the gilet route and see how that is

antigee

similar have an oldish pearl izumi but it rides a bit high at the back so would like some alternatives to replace (generally I like their kit but this item doesn’t work for me)

now I’m in Aus’ so not so cold in winter but outside Melbourne early morning 4-6degs in the hills isn’t unusual and later in the day for short showers a gilet keeps the chill off on the down hills

I like to keep mine in my second water bottle cage in a tool type bottle along with some leg warmers, skull cap and silk gloves so if weather turns got some cover – just can’t stand stuffing it all in pockets

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Roadie; decent packable gilet’ is closed to new replies.