Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roadie – can I use a triple front shifter with double derailleur?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Simple as the title says really. I need a new front shifter and merlin have a tiagra triple on sale at the minute. Plan on using it with a double front mech (ultegra most likely), can this be set up ok or will it just cause problems either on initial setup or further down the line?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, but make sure you set the two chainrings up as the outer two of the triple, not the inner two.

I ran a double MTB chainset for years with them on the inner two. When I went to do the same on my road bike with ultegra shifters, they kept breaking 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

ta 🙂 reckon it’s worth upgrading to an ultegra one for an extra tenner or will I not notice any difference? It’d also mean mismatched shifters as the right is still a tiagra.

verses

My road bike with Sora groupset came with a double chainset and triple shifter.

I rarely use the smaller ring, but have to shift down 2 clicks to get to it and then back up 2 to use the big ring.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

verses – Member
    My road bike with Sora groupset came with a double chainset and triple shifter.

I rarely use the smaller ring, but have to shift down 2 clicks to get to it and then back up 2 to use the big ring.

That sounds more like the normal trim function – use it to prevent the chain rubbing the front mech when on either of of the cassette.

buck53

I wouldn’t bother upgrading the shifter if I were you, I have tiagra shifters on my road bike and the quality is bullet proof. I’ve commuted two winters on them, crashed on them and ridden the c2c and they’ve not shipped a beat.

ransos
    Free Member

Worked fine on my bike (ultegra 6500 triple shifter on 6700 double crankset).

_tom_
    Free Member

ok nice one, sounds good. Will get ordering 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Roadie – can I use a triple front shifter with double derailleur?’ is closed to new replies.