Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Roadie Alps Recomendations
  • Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

I will be staying with friends in an apartment in Courchevel 1850 in June with the intention of taking the road bikes.

One wants to do the Alpe d’huez on one day and looking on Google that’s about a 2 hour drive away.

Any more suggestions on must do Col’s in this area and also any good valley floor routes for a couple of easier days? Don’t have to be the highest, scenic or just a good ride will do. Thinking about a ride around lake Anncey as well, but not on the lakeside road as it’s too busy.

Any particular websites that I should be investigating relating to riding in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edukator
    Free Member

Head out to the top of the Isoard from Courchevel. If you are feeling good keep going and get back via the Madeleine. If you can’t face that just turn around and ride back.

beej

How far is Bonette from there?

Edukator
    Free Member

A long way.

You can get to the Croix de Fer and back in a day too but l’Alpe is a bit much for a return. One way is fine: I did it in l’Etape de Tour 1995, finished around 275 then rode down and accompanied my wife back up.

beej

Not near, it seems. I did an event a few years ago that went Aravis, des Saises, Courcheval 1850, Madeleine, Glandon, Alpe D’Huez. Overnight at Courcheval.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

If you are bothering to drive to do l’Alpe d’Huez then I would suggest making a day of it and doing the climb up to the Croix de Fer as well from the Allemont side.

You could park up in Bourg d’Oisans, ride along the valley as a nice warm up to Allemont. Climb the Croix de Fer where there is a nice cafe at the top. Then descend back down the way you came to Allemont, back along the valley to Bourg and climb the Alpe where there is another nice cafe at the top if you want to stop, otherwise descend back down to the car in Bourg d’Oisans. Congratulations you’ve just done half the Marmotte.

The Croix de Fer climb is very picturesque passing two large reservoirs and some spectacular Alpine scenery. L’Alpe d’Huez with it’s 21 hairpin bends is a cycling icon. Watching the TdF will never be the same again when you’ve done it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Alps Recomendations’ is closed to new replies.