• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Roadie Advice 1.5k to spend
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Hi All, 100% new to me but colleague has seen a deal for a Spesh Roubaix Elite 2012 for £1500 (105 groupset and Fulcrum Racing 6 wheels). Is this hard to beat, or should we consider others? The bike is a retirement present rather than competition.
    Help/advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s only a good deal if it fits you properly.

racefaceec90

am also saving towards a road bike (at the same price).i am going for the tarmac sport myself.
    the roubaix elite will be more comfortable over distances (slightly higher riding position/more comfort)* than the tarmac (the tarmac is more geared for racing/lower riding position).

definitely consider the bike,as it will be a better spec than the 2013 version (roubaix sport) for the same money.

* i have to confess that i haven’t ridden a roubaix myself.it’s just what i have read in the bike reviews (was trying to find what the differences were between the roubaix/tarmac bikes).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boblo
    Free Member

It’s nearly winter and there will be lots of lightly used preloved bikes coming available next spring when some of those inspired this summer become less so. Just a thought. Your £1500 could buy something very nice then.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

For £1500 its got to be a Canyon.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2504

Better than the Specialized in every way

munrobiker
    Free Member

2012 Specializeds are rotten value for money. The Roubaix also has the geometry of a touring bike.

If you don’t mind buying online then Canyon is the way to go- they have higher quality frames than some of the german companies like Cube and you’ll be getting Ultegra and much better wheels for the same money.

If you prefer to buy from a shop then the Trek Madone 3.5 is available with Ultegra for about £1500 from most places, though obviously you’ll need to buy in an actual store. Depending on how tall you are the Giant Defy offers a better quality frame than all of these with full Ultegra for £1500 and is a stunning ride. That’d be my choice, or the Canyon.

http://www.dalescycles.com/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=2383&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base

AndyF1
    Free Member

Fish around for a Giant Defy Advanced 3 2012.

stox
    Free Member

Take a look on the Dolan website

mboy
    Free Member

Merida Scultura Comp 904 is getting great reviews. It’s a light and comfy carbon frame (Merida make Specialized anyway, so you’re getting the same technology for less money), full 105, Aksium wheels etc…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for canyon, I’ve never ridden one but the specs look brilliant for the money and they get really good reviews.

Ultegra Di2 for £1625
    Ultegra for £1250

meehaja
    Free Member

Giant TCR Composite here. I got the “1” for £1800ish, but the “2” is £1500, mostly Ultegra, great frame etc etc

mrmo
    Free Member

serious question, have you ever ridden a road bike? do you know what size bike you need? if yes feel free to go the online route, if no, i would strongly advise going to a decent roadie shop and getting a bike that fits.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Advice 1.5k to spend’ is closed to new replies.