Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • roadie 9 speed – obselete?
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

Hi, its time to replace my 9 speed Tiagra mech on my road bike.

Just a quick search seems to suggest that a 105 9 speed doesn’t exist; the only 9 speed mech on CRC is Sora. Is this a like for like replacement of the Tiagra mech?

The mech is actually okay its just the jockey wheels that need replacing so would 105 replacement wheels fit in a tiagra mech?

what are my 9 speed options?

as a mountain biker im loathe to be forced to convert to 10 speed on my road bike

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

any 9 or 10 speed road, or 9 speed MTB mech will work

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yup, 9s and 10s road mechs are the same, and I doub’t you’d notice any difference between 9s and 10s jockey wheeels even if they’re narrower.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the newer 9speed sora stuff is bomb proof, and a bargain.

as a mountain biker im loathe to be forced to convert to 10 speed on my road bike

i’m not quite sure what this means, roadie10 and mtb10 are very different beasts.

10speed roadie stuff uses a smaller cable-pull (than roadie9), so it’s more sensitive to friction/grot in your cables.

10spd mtb stuff uses a longer cable-pull per shift (than mtb9), so it’s less sensitive to grotty cables. This might be the first time shimano have actually done something to improve shifting for mtb’s, it’s clearly an accident, so i expect them to change this soon.

(9spd sora is probably next up for shimano’s coming round of ‘improvements’ – get it while you can!)

fubar
    Free Member
    kcal

I recently updated my old Allez from 8 speed to 9 speed.
    Not sure that helps 🙂

For me it was the happiness knowing that 9 speed was all I needed, availability of s/h parts, and not wanting to spend too much.

I’m trying to off-load a Tiagra 9 speed rear mech on eBay at the moment, have a non-paying bidder, would that be of any interest in the interim?

address in profile if that’s a possibility.

disco_stu
    Free Member

On a similar note I’m trying to find a Deore 9 spd cassette for my other half’s commuter – they don’t seem to have them in stock anywhere.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Eh, why’s that?

But as above 10 speed mechs work fine with 9 speed. I’m running a 10speed 105 mech on my 9 speed commuter.

stumpy01

fingerbang – Member

The mech is actually okay its just the jockey wheels that need replacing so would 105 replacement wheels fit in a tiagra mech?

Can’t you just replace the jockey wheels with shimano jockey wheels and keep the mech? This may be complete nonsense, but won’t any Shimano jockey wheels fit?

Something like these:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/rd-5700-jockey-wheels-ec047209

jb72
    Free Member

Indeed … just replace the jockey wheels.

ahwiles
    Free Member

disco_stu – Member
    I’m trying to find a Deore 9 spd cassette for my other half’s commuter – they don’t seem to have them in stock anywhere.

tiagra_9spd_cassette

practically the same thing, no?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

On a similar note I’m trying to find a Deore 9 spd cassette for my other half’s commuter – they don’t seem to have them in stock anywhere.

I had to drop down to Alivio rear mech recently – only 9 speed available that can be converted to Direct Mount which i didn’t even know was a thing until i bought a new frame.

The mech is fine tho, so i wouldn’t worry about using something “less” than a deore.

philjunior
    Free Member

Sora is fine, I think it’s around Deore level (could be wrong)

Higher gear counts will filter their way down from the top over time though.

On second thoughts, yes, its obsolete, if you post it all to me I won’t charge for disposal of all the scrap metal.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Try the german sites, I’ve ‘upgraded’ my tourer to 9s from 6s as I don’t think i could have found 10s gears with friction shifters! Bought an SLX one as it’s a LOT lighter than deore.

fingerbang
    Free Member

thanks for replies. thanks Kcal for the offer but I just bought a Sora mech. For £14 on CRC (with BC discount) it makes sense rather than fresh jockey wheels

reason im loathe to convert to 10 speed is just cos I like to keep my road bike costs to a bare minimum so I can spend my man budget on the MTB!

njee20
    Free Member

But you can fit a 10 speed rear mech the without changing owt else, if the mood takes you.

kcal

no worries OP. I scrounged a 105 rear mech when I upgraded the Allez, so quite happy with that.
    The demand for the old (really old) Sora 8 x double brifter was quite astounding. 🙂

RustySpanner

Re friction shifters:

Microshift do some that index with 10 speed MTB mechs.
    They do 9 speed indexed\friction too, which should work with 9 speed road/mtb mechs and cassettes.

tommytowtruck

I’ve just bought a full 9 speed Sora groupset from Merlin for about £130 – haven’t fitted it yet but looks spot on for the money. I only needed a shifter to replace a broken old Tiagra but a pair of Sora shifters is about £100 so worth buying the lot.
    Not that this helps you in the slightest.

rhayter

You can have my 9-speed 105 rear derailleur if you like. And shifters. Cheap, too. Message me.

poolman
    Free Member

I’m still running 3×9 campag veloce on my road & tourer. I needed a triple chainring, outer & middle, it was cheaper to buy a whole NOS veloce chainset from Butler cycles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Re friction shifters:

Microshift do some that index with 10 speed MTB mechs.
    They do 9 speed indexed\friction too, which should work with 9 speed road/mtb mechs and cassettes.

Yea, but they don’t look as good as these though, which is weird, friction shifters have no need to be ergonomic, or aerodynamic as they’ll always be pointing at some random angle, so why are modern ones so ugly?

At least shimano chainsets are functional.

I reckon there’s a gap in the market for a lower end but really good looking groupset. The popularity of steel/aluminium bikes shows not everyone wants the stiffest and most aero, so why can’t we just have a return to stuff like Suntour Cyclone, the original Dura Ace etc.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7EADp5]Suntour Cyclone downtube shifters[/url] by somervillebikes, on Flickr

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘roadie 9 speed – obselete?’ is closed to new replies.