• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Roadie: 105 10spd
  • zokes
    Free Member

I’ve had a Salsa Casseroll for the past 6 years doing commuting work. Now time has finally come to replace the chain, chain rings, and cassette, I’m a little unsure what size rings I need to fit. The chainset is a Shimano 105 10spd triple. I’m not that up on road components, so not quite sure what BCD I need. I think it’s 130mm for the two outer rings, and 78 for the granny. If so, would any 10spd rings fit provided they meet those measurements? I do ned the triple as the secondary duty of the bike is towing my 3-year old in a trailer, and she’s getting heavy!

zokes
    Free Member

…and does anyone see an issue in mixing between manufacturers for different rings e./g. FSA middle, Shimano outer/inner?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the fashion police will get you?
    What age is the 105? The easy way is to take the rings off and wander into a bike shop 😉 though potentially you might get a good groupset deal for the lot somewhere and replace it all with shiny

zokes
    Free Member

It’s from 2010. Being my commuter I’m not fussed about the fashion police, nor a new groupset beyond the drivetrain as I know it’ll need rings as well as the chain / cassette. This is the type: Clicky

Already got a CRC page open with lots of other bits and pieces for the collection (fixing up gears, cables, brakes on four bikes at once), so just wanted to slot in the appropriate rings and press go.

pdw
    Free Member

130mm / 74mm according to http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/105/FC-5600-5603/SI_1GE0C_001_En_v1_m56577569830646763.pdf

Shimano rings are in theory carefully matched with subtly different types to achieve smooth shifting (see http://www.thetallcyclist.com/2013/01/the-truth-about-the-shimano-a-and-b-type-chainrings/).

It practice, mixing and matching chainrings will probably work well enough.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’d also price up buying a new chainset ie. crank and rings, it may be cheaper than buying just the rings. Ribble usually a good place to start for roadie kit.

zokes
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ll get them added to the list.

wilburt
    Free Member

You probably only need an outer, my commuter(now winter hack) has gone through 3 outers in ten years but is still on the original steel inner.

I use stronglight rings there about £20 others tend to cost more than buying a new chain set

scotroutes

On my 10 speed Ultegra tripled tourer, it’s the middle ring that sees by the most usage and is the one that needs replaced most often. Might be because I also run a 11-32T XT cassette though, so lots of range. Still, I’d be having a good look at that outer ring to determine whether or not it needs replaced.

cookeaa

I am using mish mash drive: 5700 shifters, standard (130mm bcd) cranks, and front mech, with a 6700 Ultegra rear mech and chain…

I changed the chainrings to slightly smaller stronglight ones from spa cycles as it’s a cheap option, no shift gates like the shimano equivalent, but they work nicely enough.

Cassette it currently Tiagra, I put it on for winter but I think I might just run it on and Wear it out through the next year or so.

jerrys
    Free Member

I also use 10sp 105 triple on my Vaya. I swopped the inner to a 26 from Spa to give lower gears for touring. Works fine.

breninbeener

10sp road shifters means if you buy a 10sp mtb cassette you can have some lovely range, but u need a 9sp mtb cassette for it all to work. I have it on my tourer and it works really well. As your daughter is only going to grow, inwould consider a steel inner ring on chainset.

scotroutes

🙂

13thfloormonk

Maybe a bit late but when I mixed chainrings I regretted it (think it was a Middleburn outer with shimano middle on the MTB). The Middleburn sat slightly further out from the chainring tabs than the shimano, basically increasing the distance between the rings and upsetting the front mech. If they had both been Middleburn I assume they would have both had the same offset and there would have been no issues.

Anyway, for hassle free replacement I would prob suggest sticking with one manufacturer!

zokes
    Free Member

Well, thanks to CRC’s absence of stock, I have a mish-mash of 105 and Ultegra rings on their way to me. All correct BCD. Hopefully it’ll all work.

One thing to remember is that although the bike’s been ridden several times a week for nearly seven years, it’s rarely in bad weather (being in Adelaide), hence the relative lack of ware on things. Same for my mountain bike actually – I don’t miss having to change components every few months after Rivington’s mud/grit paste treatment…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Roadie: 105 10spd’ is closed to new replies.