• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road/Cross – 11spd shimano and 11-36t cassette – will it work???
  • Rik
    Free Member

The new 11spd long cage road mechs are rated to 32t cassettes now.

Putting together a touring adventure bike and Im running shimano 11spd 105 compact and saw this SRAM cassette 11-36t for the CX1 groupset

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-pg-1170-11-36-cassette

As mtb mechs can handle 40t, do we think the road mechs can handle a 36t cassette???

oliverracing

I don’t know 100% but from doing some research over the past few weeks it seems it probably will (assuming longish b-tension screw and deraileur hanger), but likely only for a 1×11 setup, 2×11 at a real push, but for 3×11 you would have to swap the cage for an mtb cage to get enough chain wrap

Rik
    Free Member

The long cage road mechs look about the same length as the mid cage mtb mechs.

It’s a shame 10 spd mtb mechs don’t work with road 11spd sti – like what you can do with 9std mtb mechs and 10spd stis. That would be ace with a clutch mech.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yer will work, short cage does 32t no issues depending on your mech hanger

i did old Di2 with a 11-32 XX cassette no problem, switched the jockey wheels to 10t

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks but is the spacing on a mtb xx1 cassette the same as a road 11spd cassette. Plus 36t is quite a bit bigger than 32t.

That looks very cool though is that the (now redundant) k edge system?

ransos
    Free Member

It’s a shame 10 spd mtb mechs don’t work with road 11spd sti

Why won’t they? Different pull ratios?

Rik
    Free Member

Yep different pul ratio

harvey
    Free Member

hi, i don’t know how relevant this is – i built up a carbon cyclocross bike to act as an adventure racing/touring bike, and at 19 lbs weight also as my road bike.
    i have a 50/34 in front and a 10 speed 11 / 36 behind, the mech is an xt. it all seems to work well with a little bit of fine tuning occasionally due to my amateur mechanics

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been looking to put a 36 on the rear too. Ive got SRAM Force and have been looking around for a slightly longer mech hanger.. I might try smaller jockey wheels too.

Rik
    Free Member

Any other interest? Or views

Rik
    Free Member

Bump for the Gnarmac lot?

jameso
    Gee76
    Free Member

Bit more info on the road goatlink here…

Wide Range Road on the Cheap – Lindarets and WTC Team up for the Roadlink

My short cage ultegra di2 mech seems to work on a 32t cassette ok (1×11) so presume maybe the road/goatlink might just make 36t ok.

Another option is a change of cage length, noted that fibre-lyte seem to have a few carbon replacement options.

Rik
    Free Member

Interesting

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road/Cross – 11spd shimano and 11-36t cassette – will it work???’ is closed to new replies.